A Guide to the Blacksburg Community Federation Records, 1926-1957 Blacksburg Community Federation Records Ms1987-002

A Guide to the Blacksburg Community Federation Records, 1926-1957

A Collection in
Special Collections
Collection Number Ms1987-002


[logo]

Special Collections, Virginia Tech

Special Collections, University Libraries (0434)
560 Drillfield Drive
Newman Library, Virginia Tech
Blacksburg, Virginia 24061
USA
Phone: (540) 231-6308
Fax: (540) 231-3694
Email: specref@vt.edu
URL: http://spec.lib.vt.edu/

©2016 By Virginia Tech. All rights reserved.

Processed by: Anthony Wright de Hernandez, Librarian, Special Collections

Repository
Special Collections, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, Va.
Collection Number
Ms1987-002
Title
Blacksburg Community Federation Records, 1926-1957
Physical Characteristics
0.2 cu. ft. 1 box
Creator
Blacksburg Community Federation. (Blacksburg, Va.); Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University. Department of Rural Sociology.
Langauge
English
Abstract
The collection includes information about the planning, creation, organization, and operation of the Blacksburg Community Federation from 1926 through 1957.

Adminstrative Information

Access Restrictions

Collection is open for research.

Use Restrictions

Permission to publish material from Blacksburg Community Federation Records must be obtained from Special Collections, Virginia Tech.

Preferred Citation

Researchers wishing to cite this collection should include the following information: Blacksburg Community Federation Records, Ms1987-002, Special Collections, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, Va.

Acquisition Information

The Blacksburg Community Federation Records appear to have been received by the Virginia Tech University Libraries in the 1950s.

Processing Information

The processing, arrangement, and description of the Blacksburg Community Federation Records was completed in December 2016.

Historical Information

The Blacksburg Community Federation was formed in Blacksburg, Virginia in 1928. It was formed to unite various community organizations toward common goals related to public health, education, and community beautification. It was originally called the Blacksburg Federated Council. Preliminary formation activity began in 1926 and a joint meeting of committees was held in 1927. The full community federation formed in 1928 following presentation of the Blacksburg Community Study compiled by the Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University Department of Rural Sociology and 26 local organizations from around the Blacksburg area.

Scope and Content

The collection includes information about the planning, creation, organization, and operation of the Blacksburg Community Federation from 1926 through 1957. The papers include information about membership in the federation; lists of offices; descriptions of committees; copies of studies published by the federation; a copy of the 1942 annual report; budgets; fundraising materials, including Community Chest letters; and copies of some publications put out by the federation.

Arrangement

The collection is arranged by document type. Organizational information is in the front, followed by reports, financial information, and publications.

Index Terms

    Subjects:

  • Blacksburg (Va.)
  • Local/Regional History and Appalachian South
  • Montgomery County (Va.)

Conte

Box-folder 1-1
Membership Information, Officers, and Committees, 1938, 1951
Box-folder 1-2
Blacksburg Community Study, 1928
Box-folder 1-3
Health and Medical Care report, 1951-1952
Box-folder 1-4
Annual Reports, 1949
Box-folder 1-5
Budgets, 1938, 1942-1943, 1956-1957
Box-folder 1-6
Fundraising materials, 1934-1945
Box-folder 1-7
Blacksburg Community Day programs, 1926, 1928, 1929
Box-folder 1-8
Community beautification campaign pamphlets, c.1926-1928?
Box-folder 1-9
Directory of Blacksburg Service Agencies, 1942