A Guide to the Association for Women in Architecture Records, 1928-2000 Association for Women in Architecture Records Ms1988-022

A Guide to the Association for Women in Architecture Records, 1928-2000

A Collection in
Special Collections
Collection Number Ms1988-022


[logo]

Special Collections, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University

Special Collections, University Libraries (0434)
560 Drillfield Drive
Newman Library, Virginia Tech
Blacksburg, Virginia 24061
USA
Phone: (540) 231-6308
Fax: (540) 231-3694
Email: specref@vt.edu
URL: http://spec.lib.vt.edu/

© 2017 By Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University. All rights reserved.

Processed by: L.H. Katz and Samantha Winn Special Collections Staff

Repository
Special Collections, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg, Va.
Collection Number
Ms1988-022
Title
Association for Women in Architecture Records, 1928-1992
Physical Description
15 cu. ft. 10 boxes
Creator
Association for Women in Architecture (U.S.)
Language
English
Abstract
The Association for Women in Architecture (AWA) was originally founded in 1922 as Alpha Alpha Gamma, a national sorority for women architecture students. In 1934, the alumnae of the sorority formed the Association of Women in Architecture (AWA) as an organization for professional women architects. Today (2017) the AWA exists only through its Los Angeles chapter, with a membership of approximately 200 women architects and designers in the Los Angeles area, with members-at-large across the country. In 1975, the AWA altered its name to the Association FOR Women in Architecture. Records include committee reports, correspondence, membership forms and rosters, photographs, scrapbooks, treasurer's files, and newsletters.

Administrative Information

Access Restrictions

Collection is open for research.

Use Restrictions

Permission to publish material from Association for Women in Architecture Records must be obtained from Special Collections, Virginia Tech.

Preferred Citation

Researchers wishing to cite this collection should include the following information: Association for Women in Architecture, Ms1988-022, Special Collections, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg, Va.

Acquisition Information

The Association for Women in Architecture Records were donated to Special Collections in June 1988. Additional materials were donated in August 1989 and February 2016.

Processing Information

The records were processed in December 1988 by L.H. Katz. The EAD finding aid was created in September 2010 by Harvey Clark and updated in June 2016 by Samantha Winn.

Historical Note

The Association for Women in Architecture (AWA) was originally founded in 1922 as Alpha Alpha Gamma, a national sorority for women architecture students. In 1934, the alumnae of the sorority formed the Association of Women in Architecture (AWA) as an organization for professional women architects. Its first president was H. Mae Steinmesch of St. Louis, Missouri. Subsequent presidents included Jean Driskel, Virginia Tanzmann, and Vicki Carter.

Although chapters were formed in other cities, the Los Angeles, California, chapter was the most active. In 1964, the national organization dissolved and the other chapters gradually disappeared. The Los Angeles chapter, with a membership of approximately 200 women architects and designers in the Los Angeles area with members-at-large across the country is the only surviving original chapter. In 1975, the AWA altered its name to the Association FOR Women in Architecture.

The organization has had many name iterations over the years some not mentioned above include: The Association of Women in Architecture and Allied Arts (AWA), 1948, and its current form adopted in 2012 Association for Women in Architecture + Design (AWA+ D).

The AWA holds annual meetings, gives out scholarships to women architecture students, and acts as a clearinghouse for information about women's status in the field of architecture.

Scope and Content

The records of the Association for Women in Architecture include committee reports, convention materials, event posters and invitations, photographs, presidents files, membership rosters, constitution and bylaws, correspondence, and videotapes. The bulk of materials relate to the Los Angeles chapter, but the records also include documentation of the national organization and affiliated chapters. Following the original order in which the records were arranged, the materials reflect a loosely chronological order. The photographs, slides, videotapes, and posters are filed at the end of the main administrative files.

Arrangement

The collection is arranged according to the original order compiled by the AWA, which grouped related records together and identified each box by date range.

Index Terms


Contents List

Administrative Files, 1928-1988.
Back to Top
Photographs and tapes, 1968-1983.
Back to Top