A Guide to the Harris Mountain Schools Collection, 1913-1961 Harris Mountain Schools Collection Ms1961-001

A Guide to the Harris Mountain Schools Collection, 1913-1961

A Collection in
Special Collections
Collection Number Ms1961-001


[logo]

Special Collections, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University

Special Collections, University Libraries (0434)
560 Drillfield Drive
Newman Library, Virginia Tech
Blacksburg, Virginia 24061
USA
Phone: (540) 231-6308
Fax: (540) 231-3694
Email: specref@vt.edu
URL: http://spec.lib.vt.edu/

© 2007 By Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University. All rights reserved.

Processed by: Special Collections Staff

Repository
Special Collections, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg, Va.
Collection Number
Ms1961-001
Title
Harris Mountain Schools Collection 1913-1961
Physical Characteristics
1 Folder; 0.1 cu. ft.
Language
English
Abstract
Collection consists of materials regarding the Harris Mountain Schools, Presbyterian mission schools located throughout Southwest Virginia.

Administrative Information

Access Restrictions

Collection is open to research.

Use Restrictions

Permission to publish material from the Harris Mountain Schools Collection must be obtained from the Special Collections, Virginia Tech

Preferred Citation

Harris Mountain Schools Collection, Ms1961-001, Special Collections, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg, Va.

Processing Information

The processing, arrangement, and description of the Harris Mountain Schools Collection commenced in March 2007 and was completed in March 2007.

Biographical Information

The Harris Mountain Schools, Presbyterian mission schools in Southwest Virginia, were founded in 1913 and located in Floyd, Montgomery, and Franklin Counties. Schools included Shooting Creek, Ferrum, Cannaday, Christiansburg, Buffalo Mountain, Sylyatus, Pippen Hill, Boone's Mill, Taylor's Mountain, Thaxton, Cave Mountain, Greenlee, Algoma, and Franklin.

Scope and Content

Collection includes the act of incorporation for the Schools (1913); correspondence (1937-61) to Rev. R.G. See, President of the Board of Advisors, and Rev. G.A. Wilson; histories of the school; brochures about John Kellogg Harris, after whom the mission was named; and a copy of the "Montgomery Mountain Missionary" (1925) containing articles on the schools and the Presbyterian home mission program.

Contents List

Harris Mountain Schools 1913-61