Record Group 30 - Faculty Organizations,RG.30

Record Group 30 - Faculty Organizations,RG.30


[logo]

Special Collections and University Archives, Virginia Tech

Special Collections and University Archives, University Libraries (0434)
560 Drillfield Drive
Newman Library, Virginia Tech
Blacksburg, Virginia 24061
Business Number: 540-231-6308
specref@vt.edu
URL: http://spec.lib.vt.edu

Repository
Special Collections and University Archives, Virginia Tech
Identification
RG.30
Title
Record Group 30 - Faculty Organizations, 1914-present
Quantity
12.6 Cubic Feet
Creator
American Association of University Professors. Virgina Tech Chapter
Creator
American Association of University Women. Blacksburg Branch (Va.)
Creator
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University. Faculty Senate
Creator
Virginia Polytechnic Institute. Science Club Council (1914-1960)
Language
English .

Subjects and Indexing Terms

  • American Association of University Professors. Virgina Tech Chapter
  • American Association of University Women. Blacksburg Branch (Va.)
  • Sigma Xi: The Scientific Research Society. Virginia Tech Chapter (1940-)
  • University Archives
  • Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College and Polytechnic Institute (1896-1944)
  • Virginia Polytechnic Institute (1944-1970)
  • Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (1970-)
  • Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University. Faculty Senate
  • Virginia Polytechnic Institute. Science Club Council (1914-1960)

Container List

box 1 (RG 30/1) RG 30/1
Meetings of the General Faculty Records
0.2 Cubic Feet 1 box
1915, 1919-1934English.
Historical Note

From the early years of the institution until the formation of a formal senate in 1969, meetings of the general faculty were held on a regular basis to discuss policies, procedures, and issues concerning the university.

Scope and Content

This collection contains one small notebook of handwritten minutes of faculty meetings, 1915, concerning Summer School and one volume of typescript minutes to meetings of the general faculty, 1919-34, which also includes some correspondence and memorial resolutions as well as attendance sheets.

box 1 (RG 30/2) RG 30/2
Science Club
0.4 Cubic Feet plus clippings
1914-1960English.
Historical Note

The VPI Science Club was organized in 1914 by "those interested in scientific work at the V.P.I." The club was primarily a faculty organization, but was open to undergraduate students in the "Junior or Senior classes." In 1958, the Science Club changed its name to the VPI Science Council, developed new objectives, and changed its organizational structure, "to better the promotion of science." At that time, it became wholly a faculty organization, "with particular emphasis given to coordinating science activities where needed, formulating resolutions, and sponsoring special council projects." The organization was abolished in 1960.

Scope and Content

The Science Club records include: minute books (handscript and typescript, 4 vols., 1914-58), scattered correspondence, memoranda, financial reports, membership rosters (1936-58), receipt and expenditure books (2 vols, 1938-46), and two small receipt books of dues (1945-48). The Science Council records include scattered minutes, correspondence, and memoranda (1958-60).

RG 30/8
Sigma Xi: The Scientific Research Society, Virginia Tech Chapter Charter (see Art.072),
1940English.
Scope and Content

Materials consist of the framed charter establishing the chapter at Virginia Tech. Lists chapter members.

Historical Note

The Virginia Tech Chapter of Sigma Xi: the Scientific Research Society was granted its charter by the national society in 1940.