Slusser, John H. and Son A Guide to the J.H. Slusser and Son Store Ledger, 1902-1909 Ms.2009.135

A Guide to the J.H. Slusser and Son Store Ledger, 1902-1909 Ms.2009.135


[logo]

Special Collections and University Archives, Virginia Tech

Special Collections and University Archives, University Libraries (0434)
560 Drillfield Drive
Newman Library, Virginia Tech
Blacksburg, Virginia 24061
Business Number: 540-231-6308
specref@vt.edu
URL: http://spec.lib.vt.edu

Jennifer Mitchell

Repository
Special Collections and University Archives, Virginia Tech
Identification
Ms.2009.135
Title
J.H. Slusser & Son Store Ledger 1902-1909
Quantity
0.4 Cubic Feet, 1 box
Creator
John H. Slusser and Son Coal Company
Language
The material in the collection is in English.
Abstract
"Store Book, no. 5, 1912" includes account listings for the J.H. Slusser & Son Coal Company store from 1902 through 1909. John H. Slusser was born in Blacksburg, Virginia on August 28, 1840. Slusser purchased a coal mine on Coal Bank Hollow Road in Blacksburg. The coal company was taken over by John Slusser's son, Murry, after his death in 1909. The M.C. Slusser Coal Company ran the mine until 1950 and served the surrounding areas, include coal supplies for the nearby Virginia Polytechnic Institute.

Administrative Information

Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use

The copyright status of this collection is unknown. Copyright restrictions may apply. Contact Special Collections and University Archives for assistance in determining the use of these materials. Reproduction or digitization of materials for personal or research use can be requested using our reproduction/digitization form: http://bit.ly/scuareproduction . Reproduction or digitization of materials for publication or exhibit use can be requested using our publication/exhibition form: http://bit.ly/scuapublication . Please contact Special Collections and University Archives (specref@vt.edu or 540-231-6308) if you need assistance with forms or to submit a completed form.

Conditions Governing Access

Collection is open to research.

Preferred Citation

Researchers wishing to cite this collection should include the following information: [identification of item], [box], [folder], J.H. Slusser and Son Store Ledger, Ms2009-135, Special Collections and University Archives, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, Va.

Source of Acquisition

The J.H. Slusser & Son Store Ledger was donated to Special Collections in 2009.

Processing Information

The processing, arrangement and description of the John H. Slusser & Son Store Ledger began in September 2009 and was completed in October 2009.


Biographical Note

John H. Slusser was born in Blacksburg, Virginia on August 28, 1840. He enlisted in Company K of the 4th Virginia Infantry during the Civil War. Slusser married Elvira J. Snider of Giles County; they had six children: Samuel E. (1869-1871), Murry C. (1872-1964), Lena C. (b. 1875), Mary A. (b. 1877), Nancy E. (b. 1879), and Judson B. (1881-1906).

John H. Slusser owned a mine on Coal Bank Hollow Road in Blacksburg, VA. The mine was run under the J.H. Slusser & Son Company until Slusser died in 1909. He left no will; the mine was taken over by his son, Murry C. Slusser. The mining company was renamed M.C. Slusser Coal Company and served Blacksburg and the surrounding areas, including coal sold to the Virginia Polytechnic Institute, until it closed in 1950.

Scope and Contents

Ledger has "Store Book, no. 5, 1912" written on the front and consists of accounts and sales from the J.H. Slusser & Son Coal Company Store dating from 1902 through 1909. Ledger lists a variety of goods sold in the store including food stuffs, tobacco, clothing items, and hardware. Ledger lists accounts including those of James Alls, John H. Kanode, and Sam Caldwell.

Arrangement

The collection is arranged by material type.

Related Material

SLUSSER FAMILY. PAPERS, 1852-1909. 0.1 cu. ft. Montgomery County, Virginia family. Includes loose ledger sheets (1852-58) for the household expenditures of Dr. John B. Slusser with pencil drawings from 1885(?) by Murray C. Slusser; advertisement of a mine car from the Pressed Steel Car Company (n.d.); sheet from an account book, "In account with the dining hall of the Virginia Polytechnic Institute" (1909); a U.S. patent application (January 30, 1894) for the invention of an improved nut-lock by Murray C. and William J. Slusser; and pages from a personal account book. Ms60-001.

Subjects and Indexing Terms

  • Blacksburg (Va.)
  • John H. Slusser and Son Coal Company
  • Local/Regional History and Appalachian South
  • Montgomery County (Va.)

Rights Statement for Archival Description

The guide to the J.H. Slusser and Son Store Ledger by Special Collections and University Archives, Virginia Tech, is licensed under a CC0 ( https://creativecommons.org/share-your-work/public-domain/cc0/ ).

Container List

box 1
Ledger, 1902-1909