Page Milling Company Ledgers A Guide to the Page Milling Company Ledgers, 1904-1935 Ms.1988.050

A Guide to the Page Milling Company Ledgers, 1904-1935 Ms.1988.050


[logo]

Special Collections and University Archives, Virginia Tech

Special Collections and University Archives, University Libraries (0434)
560 Drillfield Drive
Newman Library, Virginia Tech
Blacksburg, Virginia 24061
specref@vt.edu
URL: http://spec.lib.vt.edu

John M. Jackson

Repository
Special Collections and University Archives, Virginia Tech
Identification
Ms.1988.050
Title
Page Milling Company Ledgers1904-1935
Quantity
1.2 Cubic Feet, 4 boxes
Creator
Page Milling Company (Luray, Va.)
Language
The materials in the collection are in English.
Abstract
This collection contains four ledgers documenting sales and expenses of the Page Milling Company of Luray, Virginia.

Administrative Information

Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use

The copyright status of this collection is unknown. Copyright restrictions may apply. Contact Special Collections and University Archives for assistance in determining the use of these materials. Reproduction or digitization of materials for personal or research use can be requested using our reproduction/digitization form: http://bit.ly/scuareproduction. Reproduction or digitization of materials for publication or exhibit use can be requested using our publication/exhibition form: http://bit.ly/scuapublication. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives (specref@vt.edu or 540-231-6308) if you need assistance with forms or to submit a completed form.

Conditions Governing Access

Collection is open for research.

Preferred Citation

Researchers wishing to cite this collection should include the following information: [identification of item], [box], [folder], Page Milling Company Ledgers, Ms1988-050, Special Collections and University Archives, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, Va.

Source of Acquisition

The Page Milling Company Ledgers were acquired by Virginia Tech prior to 1989.

Processing Information

The processing, arrangement, and description of the Page Milling Company Ledgers commenced and was completed in March, 2018.


Administrative History

Located in Luray, Virginia, the Luray Mill and Elevator Company was built by C. W. Carter in 1895. In 1898, E. C. Harnsberger purchased the mill and renamed it the Page Milling Company. Operating in conjunction with the mill was the Luray Electric Company, a plant converting steam power to operate the mill.

According to at least one source, the product today sold by General Mills under the trade name Bisquick was invented by Robert C. Harnsberger at Page Milling. In its history of Bisquick's development, however, General Mills makes no mention of Harnsberger or Page Milling.

The mill, remodeled in 1929, was capable of producing 300 barrels of flour per day by the 1950s. Page Milling Company continued to operate as late as 1955.

Scope and Contents

This collection contains ledgers documenting the business transactions of the Page Milling Company of Luray, Virginia. Consisting of a day book, a journal, a cash book, and a sales journal, the ledgers provide details on the company's sales of corn, wheat, and screenings and its operating expenses, including labor.

Arrangement

The collection is arranged by material type.

Subjects and Indexing Terms

  • Local/Regional History and Appalachian South
  • Mills and mill-work
  • Page County (Va.)

Rights Statement for Archival Description

The guide to the Page Milling Company Ledgers by Special Collections and University Archives, Virginia Tech, is licensed under a CC0 (https://creativecommons.org/share-your-work/public-domain/cc0/).

Container List

Day book, 1909-1916. 1, box
Journal, 1923-1935. 2, box
Cash book, 1932-1935. 3, box
Sales journal, 1904-1915. 4, box