Harris Mountain Schools Collection

A Guide to the Harris Mountain Schools Collection, 1913-1961 Ms.1961.001


[logo]

Special Collections and University Archives, Virginia Tech

Special Collections and University Archives, University Libraries (0434)
560 Drillfield Drive
Newman Library, Virginia Tech
Blacksburg, Virginia 24061
specref@vt.edu
URL: http://spec.lib.vt.edu

Sam Walters

Repository
Special Collections and University Archives, Virginia Tech
Identification
Ms.1961.001
Title
Harris Mountain Schools Collection1913-1961
Quantity
0.1 Cubic Feet 1 folder
Language
The materials in the collection are in English.
Abstract
This collection consists of materials regarding the Harris Mountain Schools, Presbyterian mission schools located throughout Southwest Virginia.

Administrative Information

Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use

The copyright status of this collection is unknown. Copyright restrictions may apply. Contact Special Collections and University Archives for assistance in determining the use of these materials. Reproduction or digitization of materials for personal or research use can be requested using our reproduction/digitization form: http://bit.ly/scuareproduction. Reproduction or digitization of materials for publication or exhibit use can be requested using our publication/exhibition form: http://bit.ly/scuapublication. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives (specref@vt.edu or 540-231-6308) if you need assistance with forms or to submit a completed form.

Conditions Governing Access

Collection is open to research.

Preferred Citation

Researchers wishing to cite this collection should include the following information: [identification of item], [box], [folder], Harris Mountain Schools Collection, Ms1961-001, Special Collections and University Archives, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, Va.

Processing Information

The processing, arrangement, and description of the Harris Mountain Schools Collection commenced in March 2007 and was completed in March 2007.


Administrative History

The Harris Mountain Schools, Presbyterian mission schools in Southwest Virginia, were founded in 1913 and located in Floyd, Montgomery, and Franklin Counties. Schools included Shooting Creek, Ferrum, Cannaday, Christiansburg, Buffalo Mountain, Sylyatus, Pippen Hill, Boone's Mill, Taylor's Mountain, Thaxton, Cave Mountain, Greenlee, Algoma, and Franklin.

Scope and Contents

Collection includes the act of incorporation for the Schools (1913); correspondence (1937-61) to Rev. R.G. See, President of the Board of Advisors, and Rev. G.A. Wilson; histories of the school; brochures about John Kellogg Harris, after whom the mission was named; and a copy of the "Montgomery Mountain Missionary" (1925) containing articles on the schools and the Presbyterian home mission program.

Subjects and Indexing Terms

  • Local/Regional History and Appalachian South
  • Montgomery County (Va.)

Rights Statement for Archival Description

The guide to the Harris Mountain Schools Collection by Special Collections and University Archives, Virginia Tech, is licensed under a CC0 (https://creativecommons.org/share-your-work/public-domain/cc0/).

Container List

folder 1
Harris Mountain Schools
1913-61
  • Act of Incorporation
    1913
  • Brochures about John Kellogg Harris
    n.d.
  • Correspondence, R.G. See
    1937-47
  • Correspondence, G.A. Wilson
    1937-61
  • History of the Schools
    n.d.
  • "Montgomery Mountain Missionary" Magazine
    1925
  • "Present Status of the Harris Mountain Schools" Report
    1939