A Guide to the Falls Church Historical Commission Historical Heritage Symposia, 1994-1998 Falls Church Historical Commission Historical Heritage Symposia

A Guide to the Falls Church Historical Commission Historical Heritage Symposia, 1994-1998

A Collection in
Mary Riley Styles Public Library


[logo]

Mary Riley Styles Public Library

Mary Riley Styles Public Library
120 North Virginia Avenue
Falls Church, VA 22046
Phone: (703)-248-5030
Email:
URL: http://www.fallschurchva.gov/424/Library

2021 ( CC0 1.0 )

Processed by: Mary Riley Styles Public Library

Repository
Mary Riley Styles Public Library, location
Title
Falls Church Historical Commission Historical Heritage Symposia, 1994-1998
Physical Characteristics
Approx. 1 linear foot. 2 boxes.
Creator
Falls Church Historical Commission
Language
Materials in this collection are in English .

Administrative Information

Conditions Governing Access

The collection is open for research use.

Scope and Content

The Falls Church Historical Commission Historical Heritage Symposia collection is comprised of documents, correspondence, ephemera and articles related to presentations given from the years 1994-1998. The symposia covered the following subjects: 1994 – the geography, environment, pre-history and Colonial Period of the Falls Church area; 1995 – the Village Period: 1780-1860; 1996 – the Civil War and Reconstruction (1860-1875); 1997 – the Town Period (1875-1948); 1998 – the City Period (1948-1998).

Contents List

Box 1
  • Series 1
    • Folder 1
      Andrews, Harris (3 items) 1996
      "Life on the Edge: The Falls Church Region During the Civil War," by Harris Andrews, 12 pgs.
      Letter from Ross Netherton to Harris Andrews on F.C. Historical Commission letterhead, 3 pgs.
      Business card for Harris Andrews of Time-Life Books
    • Folder 2
      Bierce, Richard C. (5 items) 1995
      "The Village Legacy of Architecture," by C. Richard Bierce, 14 pgs. (2 copies)
      Typed outline, 9 pgs.
      Letter from Ross Netherton to Richard Bierce on F.C. Historical Commission letterhead, 2 pgs.
      Transmittal letter from Richard Bierce to Ross Netherton
      Photocopied picture of Bierce at Symposium with caption from FCNP
    • Folder 3
      Boundary Stones (3 items)
      1976 Booklet from National Capital Planning Commission, “Boundary Markers of the Nation’s Capital: A Proposal for Their Preservation and Protection,” 46 pgs.
      “City of Falls Church Street Map,” undated from Office of Business Development
      1972 paper written by Mark J. Terman, “The 'Jurisdiction Stones' and Cornerstone Park,” 54 pgs.
    • Folder 4
      Camp, Shirley (3 items) 1994
      “Colonial Land Grants and Their Owners and Tenants,” by Shirley W. Camp 22 pgs., with two pages of correspondence between Camp and Ross Netherton
      Revision of 1994 paper with cover letter from Camp, 42 pgs.
      List of original grantees, 3 pgs.
    • Folder 5
      History Symposium 1994
      Symposium program, 1 pg.
      Draft programs, 2 pgs.
      Letter from Ross Netherton to Donald Kelso on F.C. Historical Commission letterhead, 1 pg.
      Prospectus for “Falls Church: Village, Town and City,” 2 pgs.
      “Known Person in the Vicinity of Falls Church – 1699-1800,” 1 pg.
      “Land Grants and 1775 Owners” map with handwritten notes, 1 pg.
      May 1994 Focus on Falls Church, 1 pg.
      1994 newspaper clippings from FCNP and WaPo, 2 pgs.
      “Northern Virginia’s Geography and Natural Environment,” by Donald Kelso, 10 pgs.
      “Native American Occupants of Northern Virginia,” by Donald Kelso, 10 pgs.
      Untitled paper written by Maurice Terman, 14 pgs.
      “Colonial Social and Economic Life,” by Nan Netherton, 17 pgs.
      “Virginia’s Colonial Community Beginnings,” by Ross Netherton, 9 pgs.
      “Colonial Land Grants and Their Owners and Tenants,” by Shirley W. Camp, 38 pgs.
    • Folder 6
      History Symposium (23 items) 1995
      Memo from city clerk to police dispatchers
      Symposium program, 2 copies
      Falls Church Heritage Weekend symposium topics, 1 pg.
      Falls Church: The Village Years, 1780-1860, Profile of the Period, 1 pg.
      Memo from Ross Netherton to Members of the Historical Commission, dated July 8, 1995
      “The Life of James Wren,” 9 pgs.
      Prospectus, “Falls Church: Village, Town and City,” 1 pg.
      Letter from Ross Netherton to David Meyer and enclosed reference materials, 11 pgs.
      Letter from Ross Netherton to Nicholas Benton and attached press release, 2 pgs.
      Letter from Ross Netherton to symposium speakers
      Correspondence between Ross Netherton and Kenneth Bowling, 2 pgs. with envelopes attached
      Symposium flier
      List of original grantees, 3 pgs.
      Logo designs, 3 pgs.
      Photocopied chapter on the Gunnells from “Meadowlark Gardens Regional Park, 1730-1988: The Land and its Owners: A History,” by Mary Kate Black, 5 pgs.
      Letter from Ross Netherton to Bruce McCoy, dated July 25, 1995, 1 pg.
      List of symposium speakers, 1 pg.
      Annotated draft of “A New Nation and a New Era,” by Bruce G. McCoy, 15 pgs.
      “James Wren and His Times,” by Bette Warden, 12 pgs.
      “Trails, Rails and Turnpikes,” by Ross Netherton, 21 pgs.
      “Village Beginnings: The Role of Churches (1784-1860),” by David L. Meyer, 13 pgs.
      “The Village Legacy of Architecture,” by C. Richard Bierce, 13 pgs.
      “Summation: The Village Period,” by Maurice Terman, 6 pgs.
    • Folder 7
      Johnson, Michael (2 items) 1994
      “Native American Occupants of Northern Virginia,” by Michael Johnson, 10 pgs.
      Picture of Native American hunter using atalatl from “Historical Highlights of Bull Run Regional Park, 1 pg.
    • Folder 8
      Kelso, Donald (2 items)
      “Northern Virginia’s Geography and Natural Environment,” by Donald Kelso (2 copies)
      Photocopies from unidentified book depicting diagram and graph of glaciation
    • Folder 9
      Mabry
      “The Town and its Schools,” 10 pgs.
      “Catholic Schools: Schools You Can Believe In; St. James Catholic School, Falls Church, Virginia,” 6 pgs.
      Transcribed article from August 23, 1935 Fairfax Herald, “Gundry Training School Successful in Aiding the Mentally Afflicted”
      Photocopied Acts of Assembly, 1944 Code of Virginia, 2 pgs.
      Fairfax Herald Index 1920-1924, 12 pgs.
      “Rules for the Government of Schools,” Falls Church District, March 6th 1871 (photocopy), 1 pg.
      Transcribed article from April 18, 1956 Evening Star, “Jefferson School, Belfry and All, Retired at 81”
      Photocopied Acts of Assembly, 1946 Code of Virginia, 7 pgs.
    • Folder 10
      McCoy Bruce (2 items)
      Letter from Ross Netherton to Bruce McCoy dated December 5, 1995
      “A New Nation and a New Era,” by Bruce McCoy (2 copies).
    • Folder 11
      Meyer, David (1 item) 1995
      “Village Beginnings: The Role of Churches (1784-1860),” by David L. Meyer, 13 pgs.
    • Folder 12
      Morse, Diane (1 item) 1996
      “Civilians Under Siege: The Falls Church Home Front During the Civil War,” by Diane Morse, 12 pgs.
    • Folder 13
      Netherton, Nan (1 item) 1994
      “Colonial Social and Economic Life,” by Nan Netherton, 17 pgs.
    • Folder 14
      Netherton, Ross (2 items) 1994
      “Virginia’s Colonial Community Beginnings,” by Ross Netherton, 9 pgs.
      “Summation,” 9 pgs.
    • Folder 15
      Netherton, Ross (7 items) 1995
      “Public Sale of Land,” from The Alexandria Gazette, October 23, 1847
      “Summation,” 9 pgs.
      Map of Falls Church and surrounding area
      Articles and other documents relating to Winter Hill, 5 pgs.
      Notes and documents pertaining to turnpikes and railways, 9 pgs.
      “Trails, Rails and Turnpikes,” collection of sketches, a map and a description of ‘Stagecoach Taverns,’ 9 pgs.
      “Trails, Rails and Turnpikes,” by Ross Netherton, 27 pgs.
    • Folder 16
      Terman, Maurice (1 item) 1994
      “European Explorers and Mapmakers,” by Maurice Terman, 14 pgs.
    • Folder 17
      Terman, Maurice (1 item) 1995
      “Summation: The Village Period,” by Maurice Terman, 6 pgs.
    • Folder 18
      Transportation: Roads and Railroads
      Letter from Cassius lee to Governor Pierpont, dated April 26, 1866 and transcription, 3 pgs.
      “Annual Reports of the Railroad Companies of the State of Virginia and the Board of Public Works form the Year Ending September 39, 1860,” 35 pgs.
      “Time Table—No. 1: Alexandria, Loudoun and Hampshire Railroad Company,” January 18, 1860
      Letter from Job Hawxhurst to George Rye, dated July 3, 1871, and transcription, 3 pgs.
      Statement from Board of Public Works to Senate, dated December 9, 1872, 2 pgs.
      Letter dated November 23, 1861 and transcription, 2 pgs.
      “In the Matter of the Loudoun and Hampshire Railroad Company,” from the Office of the Board of Public Works, dated 1865, 8 pgs.
      Transcriptions of letters, memorandum and resolution from VA State Archives Board of Public Works Papers, 2 pgs.
      Report to Board of Public Works on Alexandria, Loudoun and Hampshire Railroad, dated September 20, 1866, 2 pgs.
      Transcriptions of special order and memorandum from VA State Archives Board of Public Works Papers, 2 pgs.
      Middle Turnpike Petition to the Board of Public Works and transcription, 2 pgs.
      “Northern Virginia Colonial Roads & Early Railroads,” oversize hand-drawn color map
      “Description of the Roads in the United States,” by John Melish, dated 1814, 9 pgs.
      Transcribed articles and items related to FC Post Office, 1 pg.
      “A Bibliography of Virginia, Part II,” by Earl Swem, 1917, 28 pgs.
      VA State Archive request tickets from Netherton, 8 pgs.
      Handwritten list of VA turnpikes and years active, 2 pgs.
      Handwritten bibliography of materials related to Public Works and turnpikes.
      “39th Annual Report, Board of Public Works,” 1855, 2 pgs.
      “Annual Report, Board of Public Works,” 1854, 3 pgs.
      “Chief Engineer’s Report,” Board of Public Works, 1853, 2 pgs.
      “Excerpts from Annual Reports of the Virginia Board of Public Works to Virginia General Assembly,” 3 pgs.
      “Virginia Board of Public Works Report of Committee Recommending Subscription for Stock of the Middle Turnpike Company 23 January 1828,” photocopy and transcription, 5 pgs.
      “Virginia Board of Public Works Engineer’s Report on Location of the Middle Turnpike, January 1829” photocopy and transcription, 4 pgs.
      “Annual Report, Board of Public Works,” 1829-1830, 3 pgs.
      “Annual Report, Board of Public Works,” 1832, 4 pgs.
      “Report of Board of Public Works,” 1839, 2 pgs.
      “Report of Board of Public Works,” 1835, 3 pgs.
      “Report of Board of Public Works,” 1838, 1 pg.
      “Annual Report, Board of Public Works,” 1843, 1 pg.
      “Report of Board of Public Works,” 1844, 2 pgs.
      “Report of Board of Public Works,” 1846-47; 1847-48, 2 pgs.
      “Correspondence Relating to the Falls Bridge Turnpike Company Recommending Appointments as State Directors, September 1865,” photocopy and transcription, 6 pgs.
      “The Friendly Virginians,” by J. Worrall Jr., one photocopied page
      “Report of Board of Public Works,” 1845-46, 2 pgs.
      Letter from A.Z. Cazanova to J. Brown, photocopy and transcription, dated March 21, 1840, 4 pgs.
      Letter from Ch. Neale and Robt. Jamison to J. Brown, photocopy and transcription, dated January 25, 1840, 6 pgs.
      Page of handwritten notes on 19th century roads of Northern Virginia
    • Folder 19
      Warden, Bette (1 item) 1995
      “James Wren and His Times,” by Bette Warden, 11 pgs.
    • Folder 20
      Miscellaneous papers
      “Falls Church Historic Heritage Symposium: 1994-1998,” chart documenting status of author manuscripts, 3 pgs.
      “ “Topical Listing of Authors and Papers,” 1 pg.
      “Symposium agenda and topic proposal for future symposia, 5 pgs.
      “ “Guidelines for Speakers,” 1 pg.
      “ “Falls Church; Village Town and City,” description of symposium topics 1994-1998
      “To-do list regarding symposium preparation, dated Sept. 1, 1998, 1 pg.
      “Miscellaneous photocopied maps of region, 5 pgs.
      “Falls Church Historical Commission meeting agenda, March 18, 1997, 1 pg.
      “Historical Commission account balance, dated 10/18/96, 1 pg.
      “Memo from Ross Netherton to Maurice Terman, dated March 12, 1997, 1 pg.
      “Notes on a Proposal for a Series of Educational Booklets on the Civil War in Northern Virginia, with Emphasis on Falls Church and Vicinity,” dated March 13, 1997, 3 pgs.
      “Guide to Civil War sites in Northern Virginia,” map and listing, 2 pgs.
      “Civil War Sites Get Recruits,” WaPo article dated Sept. 5, 1996.
      “1996 Outline of Possible Tricentennial Activities,” 1 pg. (2 copies)
      “Virginia Civil War Trails Interpretive Sign Checklist,” 1 pg.
      Memo from Tom Blekicki on Civil War Trails ISTEA grant application, dated Nov. 13, 1996, 3 pgs.
      “Falls Church 1861,” description of Thaddeus Lowe balloon reconnaissance operations with 2 maps, 7 pgs.
      “Taylor’s Tavern and Fort Taylor: Falls Church Area in 1861,” 1 pg.
      “Resolution on Tourism and Civil War Sites,” 1 pg.
      Memo to Jack Berry on subject of nomination of site for Virginia Civil War Trails, dated Oct. 25, 1996
      “1960 Profile of Falls Church Village,” by Maurice Terman, dated October 1966, 1 pg.
      “Population of Virginia, Fairfax County, and Falls Church [1610-1990],” prepared by M.J. Terman, 1 pg.
      “Topics and Speakers for First Historic Heritage Symposium, May 15, 1994,” 6 pgs.
      “Tricentennial Committee, History Subcommittee, Meeting Minutes, May 23, 1996” 1 pg.
    • Folder 21
      “A Street Guide to Civil War Alexandria,” pamphlet prepared by Fort Ward Historic Site, 1995
      Catalog record for “Falls Church Historical Commission Historical Heritage Symposia,” 2 pgs.
      “Notes on a Meeting of the Informal Editorial Task Force,” dated April 11, 1996, 1 pg.
      “Voices from the Past,” pamphlet prepared by Fort Ward Historic Site, 1995
      Photocopies of Civil War era illustrations from Harper’s Weekly, 6 pgs.
      Handwritten notes, 21 half-pages
      Five photocopied pages from VA State Archives Board of Public Works Misc. Papers
      Falls Church Historical Commission agenda and other papers, 4 pgs.
      “Historic Arlington,” booklet prepared by Arlington County Historical Commission, 1976, 39 pgs.
      “The Lark,” photocopied issue from August 31, 1889, 4 pgs.
      Photocopied letter from Mattie Gundry, dated Nov. 12 1919.
      “Falls Church Residents Can Call on History,” photocopied article from Fairfax Journal, dated August 30th, 1985, 1 pg. (2 copies)
      Two photocopied maps of Falls Church historical points of interest with key, 3 pgs.
      Photocopied pictures of turn of the 20th century FC landmarks including Brown’s store, 11 pgs.
      Letter from MRSPL dated March 28, 1986.
      Documents related to Civil War Encampment at Cherry Hill, including flier and articles, 4 pgs.
      Archival materials sent from City Manager Harry Wells for consideration of Historical Commission, including 8 X 10 b/w photo, 3 pgs.
Box 2
  • Series 1: Documents
    • Folder 1
      History Symposium (Roughly 50 items) 1996

      Notes, pamphlets, maps, photocopied archival documents and correspondence related to the 1996 History Symposium and Civil War History in general; book: Black Settlement in Fairfax County, Virginia During Reconstruction by Andrew M.D. Wolf (Dec., 1975)

    • Folder 2
      History Symposium (Roughly 50 items) 1997

      Notes, pamphlets, maps, photocopied and transcribed archival documents and correspondence related to the 1997 History Symposium and Civil War History in general

    • Folder 3
      History Symposium (8 items) 1998

      Notes and correspondence related to the 1998 History Symposium; 2 photocopied articles on unrelated topics

    • Folder 4
      Anzalone, Ronald D. (2 items) 1998

      Timeline and paper written by Ronald Anzalone

    • Folder 5
      Gradle, Brian (1 item) 1998

      Typed speech; articles from Falls Church News Press related to speech topic – motives for 1948 incorporation of City of Falls Church

  • Series 2: Video Materials
    • VHS Tape item: 1
      “Falls Church: Town Period (1875-1948)” Falls Church Historical Commission Historic Heritage Symposium, March 1997
    • VHS Tape item: 2
      Historical Commission Symposium, 8/21/98
    • VHS Tape item: 3
      Falls Church: The Town Period, 11/21/97
  • Series 3: Audio Materials
    • Cassette item: 1
      FC History Pt 1., 1994?
    • Cassette item: 2
      FC History Pt 4., 1994?
    • Cassette item: 3
      FC History Pt 5., 1994?
    • Cassette item: 4
      Falls Church History Symposium, Tape 1, 15 July 1995
    • Cassette item: 5
      Falls Church History Symposium, Tape 2, 15 July 1995
    • Cassette item: 6
      Falls Church History Symposium, Tape 3, 15 July 1995
    • Cassette item: 7
      Falls Church History Symposium, Tape 4, 15 July 1995
    • Cassette item: 8
      1996 FCHSYM
      Anzalone, “Prelude to War: Falls Church and Secession”
      Holien (sp?), “Spring, Summer and Fall 1861”
    • Cassette item: 9
      1996 Falls Church History Symposium III: Civil War, 1996
    • Cassette item: 10
      1996 FCHSYM: D. Morse, “Falls Church Home Front and Occupied Territory”
    • Cassette item: 11
      Falls Church History Symposium, Tape 1 of 2, 1997
    • Cassette item: 12
      Falls Church History Symposium, Tape 2 of 2, 1997
    • Cassette item: 13
      FDHC Symposium. “Town Period.” Nov. 21, 1997, Kriviskey.
    • Cassette item: 14
      Falls Church History Symposium, Aug. 21, 1998