A Collection in
Lewis F. Powell, Jr. Archives
Collection Number 013
Lewis F. Powell, Jr. Archives, Washington and Lee UniversityLewis F. Powell, Jr. Archives
Washington and Lee University
School of Law
Lexington, Virginia 24450-0303
Phone: (540) 458-8969
© 2002 By Washington and Lee University
Funding: Web version of the finding aid funded in part by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Processed by: Lewis F. Powell, Jr. Archives Staff
There are no restrictions.
Use is unrestricted.
Henry St. George Tucker Collection, 1874-1933, Ms 013, Lewis F. Powell, Jr. Archives, Washington and Lee University, Lexington, VA
Henry St. George Tucker was born in Winchester, Virginia in 1853. He was educated in Virginia, attending a private school in Richmond, prepatory school at Middleburg, and graduating from the law department of Washington and Lee University, Lexington, in 1876. In that same year he was admitted to the bar and began practice in Staunton, Virginia.
Tucker was elected as a Democrat to the Fifty-first, Fifty-second, Fifty-third, and Fifty-fourth Congresses (March 4, 1889-March 3, 1897). He did not run for reelection in 1896.
He was appointed professor of constitutional law and equity at Washington and Lee University in 1897, succeeding his father, John Randolph Tucker, who had died that same year. In 1900, he was appointed dean of the law school. After serving as acting president of Washington and Lee for one year, Tucker took the position of dean of the school of law of Columbian (now George Washington) University, Washington, DC in 1905.
Tucker also served as president of the Jamestown Tercentennial Exposition in 1904-1905, and as president of the American Bar Association in 1905. He was an unsuccessful candidate for the nomination for Virginia governor in both 1909 and 1921. He edited Tucker On Constitutional Law, Woman Suffrage by Constitutional Amendment, and Limitations on the Treaty Making Power.
Elected as a Democrat to the Sixty-seventh Congress to fill the vacancy caused by the death of Henry D. Flood, Tucker was reelected to the Sixty-eighth and to the four succeeding Congresses, serving from March 21, 1922 until his death. At the time of his death in Lexington, Virginia on July 23, 1932 , Tucker had already been nominated for reelection to the Seventy-third Congress.
These materials came from a variety of donors and sources, some of which are unrecorded. All items are print or near-print, though the first two contain annotations and other handwritten entries.
Researchers should note that the bulk of the papers of Henry St. George Tucker are held by the Manuscripts Department, Library of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Southern Historical Collection, #2605 Tucker Family Papers. The Swem Library at the College of William and Mary has extensive Tucker family holdings. The Special Collections division of Washington and Lee University Leyburn Library also holds Henry St. George Tucker papers both in 024 & 024a Tucker Family Papers and in the Tucker Family Papers portion of their Rockbridge Historical Society Collection.
This volume includes traditional printing, mechanical reproduction of handwritten notes by the author, and the handwritten notes of Henry St. George Tucker. The printed material in the volume was written in 1870-1871 -- apparently by Prof. R. S. McCulloch -- and copyrighted in 1872. Tucker took this course in 1874-1875.
This volume consists of a printed "index alphabetically arranged of the titles generally used in the practice and study of the law," followed by 316 ruled and numbered pages. On these some of these pages, Henry St. George Tucker and later his son, John R. Tucker, recorded relevant notes and case citations keyed to the printed index. The volume was published in 1876. It was used by the Tuckers until at least 1903. There is also a record for this item in the Washington and Lee University OPAC (classified as: KF 387 L39 1876).
Pamphlets versions of 18 speeches by Tucker, 15 of which were delivered from the floor of the U.S. House of Representatives.
Accession 2008M:002. The Holy Bible Containing the Old and New Testaments: Translated out the Origianl Tongues; and with the Former Translations Diligently Compared and Revised.New York: American Bible Society, 1882. Inscribed to Henry St. George Tucker from his mother.