A Guide to the Coade's Lithodipyra or Artificial Manufactory Trade Card, 1784? Coade's Lithodipyra or Artificial Manufactory Trade Card Ms2015-045

A Guide to the Coade's Lithodipyra or Artificial Manufactory Trade Card, 1784?

A Collection in
Special Collections
Collection Number Ms2015-045


[logo]

Special Collections, Virginia Tech

Special Collections, University Libraries (0434)
560 Drillfield Drive
Newman Library, Virginia Tech
Blacksburg, Virginia 24061
USA
Phone: (540) 231-6308
Fax: (540) 231-3694
Email: specref@vt.edu
URL: http://spec.lib.vt.edu/

©2015 By Virginia Tech. All rights reserved.

Processed by: Kira A. Dietz, Archivist, Special Collections

Repository
Special Collections, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, Va.
Collection Number
Ms2015-045
Title
Coade's Lithodipyra or Artificial Manufactory Trade Card, 1784?
Physical Characteristics
0.1 cu. ft. 1 folder
Creator
Bacon, John, 1740-1799, English sculptor
Language
English
Abstract
The collection consists of a trade card for an English builder and manufacturer of artificial stone, probably printed about 1784. The Coade stone business was started by Eleanor Coade in 1769 and operated into the 1833, later run by a business partner after Coade's death.

Administrative Information

Access Restrictions

Collection is open for research.

Use Restrictions

Permission to publish material from Coade's Lithodipyra or Artificial Manufactory Trade Card must be obtained from Special Collections, Virginia Tech.

Preferred Citation

Researchers wishing to cite this collection should include the following information: Coade's Lithodipyra or Artificial Manufactory Trade Card, Ms2015-045, Special Collections, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, Va.

Acquisition Information

The Coade's Lithodipyra or Artificial Manufactory Trade Card was purchased by Special Collections in 2015.

Processing Information

The processing, arrangement, and description of the Coade's Lithodipyra or Artificial Manufactory Trade Card was completed in October 2015.


Biographical Information

Eleanor Coade (1733-1821) was the rare successful London business woman. She began on her own as a linen-draper, before becoming a maker of artificial stones. She ran her business from 1769 until her death in 1821, after which it continued the manufacture of Coade stone by her last business partner, William Croggon, until 1833. She worked for many architects, Robert Adam and John Nash included. Many of the buildings of London and around England today exhibit her stone, including St. George's Chapel, Windsor; The Royal Pavilion, Brighton; The Royal Naval College, Greenwich; and a large quantity was used in the the refurbishment of Buckingham Palace in the 1820s.

Scope and Content

The collection consists of a trade card for an English builder and manufacturer of artificial stone, probably printed about 1784. The Coade stone business was started by Eleanor Coade in 1769 and operated into the 1833, later run by a business partner after Coade's death. The trade card was designed by John Bacon, R. A., who was supervisor of Mrs. Coade's factory and who modeled many of the company's figures. The illustration on the card shows the design executed in stone above the door of the company's showroom, and is composed of mythological figures.


Index Terms

    Persons:

  • Bacon, John, 1740-1799, English sculptor
  • Coade, Eleanor, 1733-1821
  • Wray, P.
  • Genre and Form Terms:

  • Advertising cards
  • Subjects:

  • Architecture
  • History of Women in Architecture
  • International Archive of Women in Architecture (IAWA)

Contents List

Folder 1
Trade card, 1784?

Significant Persons Associated With the Collection

  • Bacon, John, 1740-1799, English sculptor
  • Coade, Eleanor, 1733-1821
  • Wray, P.