A Guide to the Episcopal Diocese of Southwestern Virginia Records II, 1913-1967, n.d. Episcopal Diocese of Southwestern Virginia Records II Ms2011-018

Episcopal Diocese of Southwestern Virginia Records II, 1913-1967, n.d.

A Collection in
Special Collections
Collection Number Ms2011-018


[logo]

Special Collections, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University

Special Collections, University Libraries (0434)
560 Drillfield Drive
Newman Library, Virginia Tech
Blacksburg, Virginia 24061
USA
Phone: (540) 231-6308
Fax: (540) 231-3694
Email: specref@vt.edu
URL: http://spec.lib.vt.edu/

© 2011 By Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University. All rights reserved.

Processed by: Sarah R. Olney, Student Assistant and Kira A. Dietz, Acquisitions and Processing Archivist Special Collections

Repository
Special Collections, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg, Va.
Collection Number
Ms2011-018
Title
Episcopal Diocese of Southwestern Virginia Records II, 1913-1967, n.d.
Physical Characteristics
2.5 cu. ft. 5 boxes
Language
English
Abstract
The collection includes accounting records, attendance records, documents from the diocese, bills, correspondence, and service programs for five churches and one diocese organization.

Administrative Information

Access Restrictions

Collection is open for research.

Use Restrictions

Permission to publish material from the Episcopal Diocese of Southwestern Virginia Records II must be obtained from Special Collections, Virginia Tech.

Preferred Citation

Researchers wishing to cite this collection should include the following information: Episcopal Diocese of Southwestern Virginia Records II, Ms2011-018 Special Collections, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg, Va.

Acquisition Information

The Episcopal Diocese of Southwestern Virginia Records II were acquired by Special Collections prior to 2011.

Processing Information

The processing, arrangement, and description of the Episcopal Diocese of Southwestern Virginia Records II was completed in February 2011.


Historical Note

The Episcopal Diocese of Southwestern Virginia was originally formed from the Diocese of Virginia, which was organized in 1795 and included the area that is now the states of Virginia and West Virginia. West Virginia achieved its statehood in 1863, and split from the Diocese in 1877. In 1892 the Diocese of Southern Virginia was formed, and in 1919 the western part of the diocese split off to form the Episcopal Diocese of Southwestern Virginia. Robert Carter Jett, D.D., of the Virginia Episcopal School, was consecrated Bishop of the Diocese in March 1920. He selected Roanoke as the headquarters, and St. John's for his parish church. Bishop Jett established a diocesan newsletter, encouraged interdenominational cooperation among the Protestant sects, and oversaw a program of church construction and the growth of mission schools. In 1938 Bishop Jett retired and Henry Disbrow Phillips assumed the duties of Bishop of the Diocese. Under Phillips' leadership, the Diocese continued to expand in parishioners and influence, most notably in the growth in the Diocese's function in education. William Henry Marmion became the third Bishop of Southwestern Virginia in May 1954, and led the Diocese through an era of social upheaval in the 1960s. Bishop Marmion was strongly against racial segregation, and was confronted with the problem of challenging the long-held beliefs of many of his parishioners while integrating blacks into the church at the same time. The 1960s and 1970s also saw women pushing for a higher status in society, and the Diocese saw women increasingly become part of the church leadership as lay readers, deacons, and priests. Bishop Marmion also guided his parish into accepting the revisions of the Book of Common Prayer. Bishop Marmion retired in 1979, and Bishop Heath Light assumed leadership that same year.

The Standing Committee of the diocese meets under the authority of the Canons of General Convention and the Diocese of Southwestern Virginia. The Standing Committee is primarily concerned with issues of ordination, clergy discipline, and real property.

See Hills of the Lord: the Background of the Episcopal Church in Southwestern Virginia, 1738-1938 by Katherine L. Brown (1979) or http://www.dioswva.org/about/our_history.html for more information on the early history of the Diocese.

Information on individual churches in the diocese, including those in the collection, can be found through the diocese website: http://www.dioswva.org/index.html

Scope and Content

The collection includes accounting records, attendance records, documents from the diocese, bills, correspondence, and service programs for five churches and one diocese organization. The records include Christ Church of Roanoke, Christ Church of Schuyler, St. Andrew's in Galax, St. John's in Roanoke, and Saint Peter's in Roanoke, as well as those of the diocese Standing Committee.

Arrangement

Series I: Christ Church, Roanoke

This series contains correspondence, expenses, tithe pledges, 50th Anniversary materials, minutes of the vestry and congregation, order book, and tithe reports. This series arranged by type of material. Folders for each material type are in chronological order. Items within each folder are in their original, reverse chronological order.

Series II: Christ Church, Schuyler

The Christ Church, Schuyler series contains expense records, correspondence, Woman's Auxiliary, Sunday School supply magazine, and Parochial reports. These materials are organized in alphabetical order by type of the materials. Within each file, the materials are in chronological order.

Series III: St. Andrew's of Galax

This series contains a single service records book (March 4, 1956 - August 20, 1967).

Series IV: St. John's of Roanoke

This series contains pages of correspondence from 1936-1940. Some correspondence deals with expenses. Letters are in chronological order.

Series V: St. Peter's of Roanoke

St. John's series contains a single book of minutes for the Vestry meetings (Jan. 7, 1917 - Feb. 22, 1957).

Series VI: Standing Committee

The materials in Series VI contain correspondence, council meeting records, and signed Canon 9, section I, subsection III change documents. This series arranged by type of material. Folders for each material type are in chronological order. Items within each folder are in chronological order.

Related Material

Additional information on the churches in this collection and the diocese in general may also be found in several collections previously acquired by Special Collections:

Ms86-013, Bishop William H. Marmion Papers, 1932-1981. Finding aid available on the Virginia Heritage database. Please note: This collection is located in off-site storage and requires 2-3 days notice for retrieval. Contact Special Collections for more information.

Ms85-004. Episcopal Diocese of Southwestern Virginia Records, 1905-1990. Finding aid available on the Virginia Heritage database. Please note: This collection is located in off-site storage and requires 2-3 days notice for retrieval. Contact Special Collections for more information.

Separated Material


Index Terms

    Names:

  • Christ Episcopal Church. (Roanoke, Va.)
  • Christ Episcopal Church. (Schuyler, Va.)
  • Episcopal Church. Diocese of Southwestern Virginia.
  • Episcopal Church. Diocese of Southwestern Virginia. Standing Committee.
  • St. Andrew's Episcopal Church. (Galax, Va.)
  • St. John's Episcopal Church. (Roanoke, Va.)
  • St. Peter's Episcopal Church. (Roanoke, Va.)
  • Subjects:

  • Local/Regional History and Appalachian South

Contents List

Series I: Christ Church, Roanoke 1913-1948.
  • Box-folder 1-1
    Correspondence--The Vestry, 1919-1921.
  • Box-folder 1-2
    Correspondence--The Vestry, 1922-1923.
  • Box-folder 1-3
    Correspondence--The Vestry, 1923-1926.
  • Box-folder 1-4
    Correspondence--The Vestry, 1925-1927.
  • Box-folder 1-5
    Correspondence--The Vestry, 1928-1929.
  • Box-folder 1-6
    Correspondence--The Vestry, 1930-1931.
  • Box-folder 1-7
    Correspondence--The Vestry, 1931-1933.
  • Box-folder 1-8
    Correspondence--Renovations and Improvements (includes drawings), 1917-1919, n.d.
  • Box-folder 2-1
    Expenses and Correspondence, 1931-1932.
  • Box-folder 2-2
    Expenses and Correspondence, 1934-1936.
  • Box-folder 2-3
    Fiftieth Anniversary Book, 1892-1942.
  • Box-folder 2-4
    Golden Anniversary Year Book from Woman's Auxiliary.
  • Box-folder 2-5
    Minutes of the Vestry, 1905-1914.
  • Box-folder 2-6
    Minutes of the Vestry and Congregation, 1914-1919.
  • Box-folder 2-7
    Minutes of the Vestry and Congregation, 1935-1936.
  • Box-folder 3-1
    Minutes of Vestry Meetings, 1937-1939.
  • Box-folder 3-2 to 3-3 (2 folders)
    Minutes of Vestry Meetings, 1940-1943.
  • Box-folder 3-4 to 3-5 (2 folders)
    Minutes of Vestry Meetings, 1944-1946.
  • Box-folder 3-6
    Minutes of Vestry Meetings, 1948.
  • Box-folder 3-7
    Order Book, 1914-1923.
  • Box-folder 4-1
    Papers, 1947.
  • Box-folder 4-2
    Tithe Reports, 1918-1934.
  • Box-folder 4-3
    Vestry Correspondence, 1913-1915.
Series II: Christ Church, Schuyler,
  • Box-folder 4-4
    Appalachian Electric Power Company Stubs and Correspondence, 1950-1952.
  • Box-folder 4-5
    Budgets, 1946-1952.
  • Box-folder 4-6
    Checkbook Stubs, 1950-1951.
  • Box-folder 4-7
    Children's Home Society of Virginia, 1950.
  • Box-folder 4-8 to 4-9 (2 folders)
    Church Finance Corporation Bills, 1950-1956.
  • Box-folder 4-10
    Church Fire Insurance Corporation, 1951, 1955.
  • Box-folder 4-11
    Correspondence, 1951, 1954.
  • Box-folder 4-12
    Correspondence from Diocese of Southwestern Virginia, 1954.
  • Box-folder 4-13
    Diocese of Southwestern Virginia Expense and Field Department, 1950-1951.
  • Box-folder 4-14
    Diocese of Southwestern Virginia Donation Cards, 1950-1951.
  • Box-folder 4-15
    Nelson Episcopal Parish, 1950-1955.
  • Box-folder 4-16
    Papers, 1943-1955.
  • Box-folder 4-17
    Parochial Report, 1951.
  • Box-folder 4-18
    People's National Bank Deposit Slips, 1950-1951.
  • Box-folder 4-19
    People's National Bank Statements, 1949-1951.
  • Box-folder 4-20
    People's National Bank Papers, 1951-1953, n.d.
  • Box-folder 4-21
    The Southwestern Episcopalian, 1950.
  • Box-folder 4-22
    "Sunday School Supplies and Holiday Specialities" Catalog, 1934.
  • Box-folder 4-23
    Woman's Auxiliary Papers, 1951, 1955.
Series III: St. Andrew's of Galax, 1956-1967.
  • Box-folder 4-24
    Service Record Book, 1956-1967.
Series IV: St. John's of Roanoke, 1936-1940.
  • Box-folder 5-1
    Correspondence, 1936-1940.
Series V: St. Peter's of Roanoke, 1913-1957.
  • Box-folder 5-2
    Correspondence and Pledges, 1913-1930.
  • Box-folder 5-3
    Minute Book for Vestry Meetings, 1917-1957.
Series VI: Standing Committee (Episcopal Diocese of Southwest Virginia), 1919-1939.
  • Box-folder 5-4
    Canon 9, Section I, Subsection III.
  • Box-folder 5-5
    Correspondence, 1920-1932.
  • Box-folder 5-6
    Correspondence, 1923-1939.
  • Box-folder 5-7
    Council Meeting Records, 1932, n.d.
  • Box-folder 5-8
    Southwestern Virginia Diocese Correspondence, 1919-1926.