A Guide to the Luther Memorial Evangelical Lutheran Church Records, 1944-1974 Luther Memorial Evangelical Lutheran Church Records Ms2011-014

Luther Memorial Evangelical Lutheran Church Records, 1944-1974

A Collection in
Special Collections
Collection Number Ms2011-014


[logo]

Special Collections, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University

Special Collections, University Libraries (0434)
560 Drillfield Drive
Newman Library, Virginia Tech
Blacksburg, Virginia 24061
USA
Phone: (540) 231-6308
Fax: (540) 231-3694
Email: specref@vt.edu
URL: http://spec.lib.vt.edu/

© 2011 By Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University. All rights reserved.

Processed by: Isidoro Rodriguez-Hazbun, Student Assistant, Special Collections

Repository
Special Collections, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg, Va.
Collection Number
Ms2011-014
Title
Luther Memorial Evangelical Lutheran Church Records, 1944-1970
Physical Characteristics
0.8 cu. ft. 2 boxes
Creator
Luther Memorial Evangelical Lutheran Church. (Blacksburg, Va.)
Language
English
Abstract
The collection includes church bulletins, newsletters, and other papers relating to the history of the Luther Memorial Evangelical Lutheran Church.

Administrative Information

Access Restrictions

Collection is open for research.

Use Restrictions

Permission to publish material from Luther Memorial Evangelical Lutheran Church Records must be obtained from Special Collections, Virginia Tech.

Preferred Citation

Researchers wishing to cite this collection should include the following information: Luther Memorial Evangelical Lutheran Church Records, Ms2011-014, Special Collections, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg, Va.

Acquisition Information

The Luther Memorial Evangelical Lutheran Church Records was donated to Special Collections prior to 2000.

Processing Information

The processing, arrangement, and description of the Luther Memorial Evangelical Lutheran Church Records was completed in February 2011.


Historical Note

The establishment of a Lutheran Church in Blacksburg evolved from several previous congregations in the county, known as Montgomery Charge. The cornerstone of Luther Memorial Evangelical Lutheran Church was laid November 10, 1883, on the 400th celebration of Martin Luther's birthday. The church as completed and the congregation was organized February 21, 1886, under the direction of its pastor the Reverend Hubber. On Pentecost Sunday, May 30, 1971, the congregation met in the old building for the last time and moved as a body to the new location for the first service which was held in the Fellowship Hall. The first service in the completed church was on Easter Sunday 1974.

Scope and Content

A majority of the collection consists of church bulletins from 1958 to 1974. Please note: After 1971, the collection contains only scattered issues. In addition, the collection includes five paster newsletters from 1964 and 1965, an 1966 church directory, and several other pieces of ephemera relating to church history.

Arrangement

The collection is arranged by material type. Within each material type, bulletins, newletters, and ephemera are in chronological order.

Index Terms

    Corporate Names:

  • Luther Memorial Evangelical Lutheran Church. (Blacksburg, Va)
  • Subjects:

  • Luther Memorial Lutheran Church

Contents List

Church Bulletins, 1944-1974.
Box: 1-2 (2 boxes)
Box-folder 2-1
Pastor Newsletters, 1964-1965.
Box-folder 2-2
Church Ephemera, 1962-1974.