A Collection in
Collection Number Ms1995-020
Special Collections, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State UniversitySpecial Collections
P.O. Box 90001
Blacksburg, Virginia 24062-9001
Phone: (540) 231-6308
Fax: (540) 231-3694
2009 By Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University. All rights reserved.
Collection is open to research.
There are no restrictions.
Researchers wishing to cite this collection should include the following information: Helene Koller-Buchwieser Architectural Papers, Ms1995-020 - Special Collections, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg, Va.
The Helene Koller-Buchwieser Architectural Papers were donated to Special Collections in October 1995.
The processing, arrangement, and description of the Helene Koller-Buchwieser Architectural Papers commenced in 1996 and was completed in April 1998.
Helene Koller-Buchwieser was born in Vienna, Austria, on November 26, 1912. She studied architecture at the Vienna Polytechnic (Technischen Hochschule) and graduated in 1937. While she was a student she worked as a stone mason on the renovation of the Romanesque Church St. Michael in Pulkau. Although her interests lay in designing religious architecture, during and followingWorld War II she worked to restore the infrastructure of Vienna and rebuild bombed housing.
In 1946 Koller-Buchwieser opened her own office. Her work included social housing and private homes, student dormitories and housing for the elderly, orphanages, factories, fire stations, churchs and monasteries. In 1979 she was bestowed with the title "Professor" by the Austrian Minsistry of Education and Art.
The Helene Koller-Buchwieser collection consists of architectural drawings, photographs, newspaper clippings, biographical information and other information that recounts her life and work. Most of the structures represented in her papers are located in Vienna. The majority of the materials are in German.
Additional information on project files in this collection is available here.
The collection consists of one box of manuscript material described below in the contents list, and approximately 3100 architectural drawings and 240 photographs decribed in greater detail in the project files list.