A Guide to the Yellow Sulphur Springs Sale Broadside, 1943 Yellow Sulphur Springs Sale Broadside Ms2009-106

A Guide to the Yellow Sulphur Springs Sale Broadside, 1943

A Collection in
Special Collections
Collection Number Ms2009-106


[logo]

Special Collections, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University

Special Collections, University Libraries (0434)
560 Drillfield Drive
Newman Library, Virginia Tech
Blacksburg, Virginia 24061
USA
Phone: (540) 231-6308
Fax: (540) 231-3694
Email: specref@vt.edu
URL: http://spec.lib.vt.edu/

© 2009 By Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University. All rights reserved.

Processed by: Lora Settle Special Collections Staff

Repository
Special Collections, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg, Va.
Collection Number
Ms2009-106
Title
Yellow Sulphur Springs Sale Broadside, 1943
DIGITAL CONTENT
This collection has been digitized and is available online.
Physical Characteristics
1 folder; 0.1 cu. ft.
Language
English
Abstract
The Yellow Sulphur Springs broadside advertises the sale of the mineral springs resort located in Montgomery County, Virginia.

Administrative Information

Access Restrictions

Collection is open to research.

Use Restrictions

Permission to publish material from the Yellow Sulphur Springs Sale Broadside must be obtained from Special Collections, Virginia Tech.

Preferred Citation

Researchers wishing to cite this collection should include the following information: Yellow Sulphur Springs Sale Broadside, Ms2009-106, Special Collections, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg, Va.

Acquisition Information

The Yellow Sulphur Springs Sale Broadside was donated to Special Collections.

Alternate Form Available

This item has been digitized and is available online.

Processing Information

The processing, arrangement, and description of the Yellow Sulphur Springs Sale Broadside commenced and was completed in July 2009.


Historical Information

The Yellow Sulphur Springs resort was built by Charles Taylor between Blacksburg and Christiansburg, Virginia, around 1810. By the 1850s, however, it was a flourishing resort with multiple buildings on the premises. These structures included a grand hotel, guest cottages, and a gazebo under which guests could drink the restorative waters. The resort is the only surviving resort of its kind in Southwest Virginia from the ante-bellum period. Today, the Yellow Sulphur continues to welcome guests, offering healing spa treatments in a relaxing rural setting.

Scope and Content

This broadside advertises the sale of the Yellow Sulphur Springs resort, taking place on August 14, 1943. The broadside details the property and buildings that were being sold, the location of the public auction, the terms of sale, and the commissioners charged with the duty of selling the resort. According to the broadside, the sale included 54 acres of land on which the hotel, rows of cottages, and other amenities were located.

Arrangement

The collection is arranged chronologically.

Contents List

Folder 1
Broadside, 1943.