A Guide to the Crockett Mineral Springs Collection, 1930-1931 Crockett Mineral Springs Collection Ms2009-105

Crockett Mineral Springs Collection, 1930-1931

A Collection in
Special Collections
Collection Number Ms2009-105


[logo]

Special Collections, Virginia Tech

Special Collections, University Libraries (0434)
560 Drillfield Drive
Newman Library, Virginia Tech
Blacksburg, Virginia 24061
USA
Phone: (540) 231-6308
Fax: (540) 231-3694
Email: specref@vt.edu
URL: http://spec.lib.vt.edu/

©2009 By Virginia Tech. All rights reserved.

Processed by: Lora Settle, Graduate Assistant, and Kira A. Dietz, Archivist, Special Collections

Repository
Special Collections, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, Va.
Collection Number
Ms2009-105
Title
Crockett Mineral Springs Collection, 1930-1931
DIGITAL CONTENT
This collection has been digitized and is available online.
Physical Characteristics
0.1 cu. ft. 1 folder
Language
English
Abstract
The collection includes a broadside advertising the sale of the Crockett Mineral Springs Hotel in Montgomery County, Virginia, as well as hotel equipment and land. It also contains a letter from S. S. Griffith to Dr. J. Harry Smith, written in 1930 on Crocket Arsenic-Lithia Springs letterhead.

Administrative Information

Access Restrictions

Collection is open to research.

Use Restrictions

Permission to publish material from the Crockett Mineral Springs Collection must be obtained from Special Collections, Virginia Tech.

Preferred Citation

Researchers wishing to cite this collection should include the following information: Crockett Mineral Springs Collection, Ms2009-105, Special Collections, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, Va.

Acquisition Information

The Crockett Mineral Springs Collection was donated to Special Collections in two accessions, one in 2014 and one prior to 2008.

Alternate Form Available

This collection has been digitized and is available online.

Processing Information

The processing, arrangement, and description of the Crockett Mineral Springs Sale Broadside commenced and was completed in July 2009.


Historical Information

Crockett Springs–located on the South Fork of the Roanoke River–was the last mineral springs resort to be opened in Montgomery County, Virginia. The Virginia Arsenic Bromide and Lithia Springs Company built the wood frame hotel in 1889, and soon the resort grew to include croquet grounds, bowling alleys, and tennis courts, while also providing the means for such activities as fishing, hunting, and walking on various scenic trails. The resort became a popular travel destination because of the variety of minerals found in the water, and the arsenic found in the water was believed to have optimal therapeutic value when the water was taken in large doses. Although the broadside advertises the sale of the resort in 1931, it did not close until 1939.

Scope and Content

The broadside advertising the sale of the Crockett Springs resort describes the time and date of the sale, that which was for sale, in which order certain pieces of the property would be sold, and the terms of the sale. The commissioners named on the broadside are C.F. Cocke, C.T. Broaddus, and V.M. Sowder. The collection also contains a letter from S. S. Griffith to Dr. J. Harry Smith, written in 1930 on Crocket Arsenic-Lithia Springs letterhead.

Arrangement

The collection is arranged chronologically.

Related Material

Images of the resort and the surrounding area are available on Virginia Tech's Imagebase. Images may be found by searching the phrase "Crockett Springs."

Separated Material


Index Terms

    Subjects:

  • Local/Regional History and Appalachian South
  • Montgomery County (Va.)

Contents List

Folder 1
Letter, 1930
Folder 1
Broadside, 1931