A Collection in
Collection Number Ms2009-042
Special Collections, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State UniversitySpecial Collections, University Libraries (0434)
560 Drillfield Drive
Newman Library, Virginia Tech
Blacksburg, Virginia 24061
Phone: (540) 231-6308
Fax: (540) 231-3694
© 2009 By Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University. All rights reserved.
Processed by: John M. Jackson, Special Collections Staff
Collection is open to research.
There are no restrictions.
Researchers wishing to cite this collection should include the following information: Permission to publish material from the Sullivan Railroad Company Stock Certificate must be obtained from Special Collections, Virginia Tech.
The Sullivan Railroad Company Stock Certificate was purchased by Special Collections in 2009. The document had been part of a larger group of railroad-related materials compiled by a collector, then sold to a dealer (see "separated material" section).
The processing and description of the Sullivan Railroad Company Stock Certificate commenced and was completed in March 2009.
The Sullivan Railroad was incorporated in 1846. Completed in 1852, the line ran between the towns of Windsor and Bellows Falls, Vermont. To satisfy the company's debts, it was sold to bondholders in 1866 and reorganized as the Sullivan County Railroad, with the line leased for a succession of railroads. Sullivan County Railroad continued to operate as late as 1911.
This collection consists of a stock certificate issued by the Sullivan Railroad Company. Dated 1851 and numbered 332, the certificate is for ten shares of stock sold to H. W. Pickering, trustee, for $1,000. The certificate is signed by Chas Thompson, president, and George Denny, treasurer. The certificate bears four vignettes and the railroad's embossed seal. The text, signatures, and seal, however, have been defaced with ink.
The Sullivan Railroad Company Stock Certificate was acquired as part of a larger collection of railway-related material that had been compiled by a collector, then sold to a dealer. In the course of processing, the stock certificate was removed to a separate collection. The acquisition of which this certificate was a part also included: