A Collection in
Collection Number Ms2009-035
Special Collections, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State UniversitySpecial Collections, University Libraries (0434)
560 Drillfield Drive
Newman Library, Virginia Tech
Blacksburg, Virginia 24061
Phone: (540) 231-6308
Fax: (540) 231-3694
© 2009 By Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University. All rights reserved.
Processed by: John M. Jackson, Special Collections Staff
Collection is open to research.
Permission to publish material from the Mine Hill and Schuylkill Haven Railroad Stock Certificates must be obtained from Special Collections, Virginia Tech.
Researchers wishing to cite this collection should include the following information: Mine Hill & Schuylkill Haven Railroad Stock Certificates, Ms2009-035 - Special Collections, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University.
The Mine Hill & Schuylkill Haven Railroad Stock Certificates were purchased by Special Collections in 2009. The documents had been part of a larger group of railroad-related materials compiled by a collector, then sold to a dealer (see "separated material" section).
The processing, arrangement and description of the Mine Hill & Schuylkill Haven Railroad Stock Certificates commenced and was completed in March 2009.
Incorporated in 1828, the Mine Hill & Schuylkill Haven Railroad opened in 1831, with a line extending 13 miles from Mine Hill, Pennsylvania to nearby Schuylkill Haven. It was not until 1847, however, that steam engines replaced horses and mules as the means by which the line's cars were moved. By 1859, the Mine Hill & Schuylkill Haven had expanded its lines and become one of the most important feeders of the Philadelphia and Reading Railroad, hauling more than a million tons of coal annually. The line was purchased by the Philadelphia and Reading in the 1930s.
This collection contains three stock certificates of the Mine Hill & Schuylkill Haven Railroad, issued to John H. Cresson. The certificates are signed by the company's president and treasurer, and each is faintly embossed with the company's seal.
The collection is arranged chronologically.
The Mine Hill & Schuylkill Haven Railroad Stock Certificates were acquired as part of a larger collection of railway-related material that had been compiled by a private collector, then sold to a dealer. In the course of processing, the stock certificates were removed to a separate collection. The acquisition of which these certificates were a part also included: