A Collection in
Collection Number Ms2009-018
Special Collections, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State UniversityContact Information:
P.O. Box 90001
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
Blacksburg, Virginia 24062-9001
Phone: (540) 231-6308
Fax: (540) 231-3694
Processed by: John M. Jackson, Special Collections Staff
2009 By Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University. All rights reserved.
Collection is open to research.
Permission to publish material from the Roanoke and Southern Railway Company Charter Amendment must be obtained from Special Collections, Virginia Tech.
Researchers wishing to cite this collection should include the following information: Roanoke and Southern Railway Company Charter Amendment, Ms2009-018 - Special Collections, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University.
The Roanoke and Southern Railway Company Charter Amendment was purchased by Special Collections in 2008.
The processing and description of the Roanoke and Southern Railway Company Charter Amendment commenced and was completed in January 2009.
The Roanoke and Southern Railway Company was formed in 1887, through the consolidation of the Roanoke and Southern Railway Company of Virginia and the Roanoke and Southern Railway Company of North Carolina. The company was to construct a rail line from Roanoke, Virginia southward through North Carolina to the South Carolina state line. The road opened for traffic from Winston-Salem, North Carolina to Martinsville, Virginia in 1891 and to Roanoke the following year. Beginning in March 1892, the company leased its railroad, property and franchises to the Norfolk & Western Railroad Company, which operated the 122-mile line as its Winston-Salem Division. The Roanoke and Southern's mortgage fell into foreclosure, however, and the company's property was sold at auction in 1896. The new owners reorganized the company as the Norfolk, Roanoke and Southern Railroad Company, with the line again leased to Norfolk & Western.
This collection consists of a flyer containing the text of a piece of legislation amending the charter of the Roanoke and Southern Railway Company. Ratified by the North Carolina General Assembly in 1893, the amendment gives the company the power to lease and sell its property and to enter into mergers and consolidations with other lines, "provided, however, that no power herein contained shall authorize any lease, sale, consolidation or merger with any company owning, operating or controlling a competing line." The amendment also reserves state court jurisdiction over any legal actions which may arise.