A Register of the Montgomery White Sulphur Springs Guest Book 1886-1890 Montgomery White Sulphur Springs Guest Book, 1886-1890 Ms2003-007

A Register of the Montgomery White Sulphur Springs Guest Book 1886-1890

A Collection in
Special Collections
Collection Number Ms2003-007


[logo]

Special Collections, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University

Special Collections, University Libraries (0434)
560 Drillfield Drive
Newman Library, Virginia Tech
Blacksburg, Virginia 24061
USA
Phone: (540) 231-6308
Fax: (540) 231-3694
Email: specref@vt.edu
URL: http://spec.lib.vt.edu/

© 2003 By Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University

Processed by: John M. Jackson Special Collections Staff

Repository
Special Collections, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
Collection number
Ms2003-007
Title
Montgomery White Sulphur Springs Guest Book 1886-1890
Physical Characteristics
1 container; .6 cu. ft.
Collector
Donor
Language
English
Abstract
Guest register from Montgomery White Sulphur Springs, a resort which operated in Montgomery County, Virginia, from 1856 to 1904. Register spans the years 1886 to 1890.

Administrative Information

Access

Collection is open to research.

Use Restrictions

Permission to publish material from the Montgomery White Sulphur Springs Guest Book must be obtained from the Special Collections, Virginia Tech.

Preferred Citation

Montgomery White Sulphur Springs Guest Book, Ms2003-007 - Special Collections, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University.

Acquisition Information

The Montgomery White Sulphur Springs Guest Book was donated to the Special Collections in 2003.

Alternate Form Available

Images available online (Adobe Acrobat Reader required for viewing).

Processing Information

The processing and description of the Montgomery White Sulphur Springs Guest Book commenced and was completed in April 2003.


Biographical/Historical Information

The Montgomery White Sulphur Springs resort, located in Ellett Valley (near Blacksburg), Virginia, was incorporated by a group of local businessmen in 1855. Benefiting from the popular belief in the restorative powers of mineral waters, the Montgomery White catered to a new leisure class seeking healthy and entertaining distractions. In doing so, the resort joined such other nearby establishments as the Greenbrier White, Old Sweet, and Yellow Sulphur springs. The Montgomery White, encompassing several acres of land, boasted a three-story hotel with more than 200 rooms and more than 30 cottages on the grounds.

In 1862 the resort was designated a Confederate general hospital, charged with caring for sick and wounded soldiers. By the end of the summer, the hospital was at capacity, with more than 400 patients. While there is no complete list of those who died in the hospital, the nearby cemetery is said to hold 265 graves.

Following the war and much renovation, the Montgomery White again opened to the public and became a popular summertime destination. In 1872, the resort hosted the first board meeting of the Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College, and in 1874, Jefferson Davis visited for the Southern Historical Society's organizational meeting.

By 1886, George W. Fagg & Company operated the resort, which continued to be a successful enterprise for some years. By the 1890s, however, the Montgomery White and other such resorts were slowly declining in popularity. The economic panic of 1893, together with undocumented instances of fire and flood, may have accelerated the resort's downfall. The Montgomery White property was sold by auction and the remaining structures dismantled in 1904.

Source: Bodell, Dorothy. Montgomery White Sulphur Springs: a History of the Resort, Hospital, Cemeteries, Markers, and Monument. Blacksburg, Va.: Pocahontas Press, 1993.

Scope and Content Information

The Montgomery White Sulphur Springs resort register includes the names of the resort's guests, their place of residence and notes on their meals, rooms and porterage. While the resort played host to guests from all areas of the United States--and a few from foreign countries--a number of guests were local residents. Each alternate register page features an advertisement for either the Hexall Mills or the Southern Fertilizing Company, both of Richmond, Virginia. The register's entries commence on June 30, 1886 and end on July 26, 1890.

Contents List

Box 1
Register 1886-1890