A Guide to the Records of the Board of Trustees of Memorial Hospital, 1899-1913 Memorial Hospital Board of Trustee Records Acc. 18

A Guide to the Records of the Board of Trustees of Memorial Hospital, 1899-1913

A Collection in
Special Collections and Archives, Tompkins-McCaw Library
Accession Number Acc. 18


[logo]

Virginia Commonwealth University, Tompkins-McCaw Library

Special Collections and Archives
Tompkins-McCaw Library
Box 980582
Virginia Commonwealth University
Richmond, Virginia 23298-0582
USA
Phone: (804) 828-9898
Fax: (804) 828-6089
Email: libtmlsca@vcu.edu
URL: http://www.library.vcu.edu/about/special-collections/tompkins-mccaw/

© 2004 By Virginia Commonwealth University. All Rights Reserved.

Processed by: Special Collections and Archives Staff

Repository
Special Collections and Archives, Tompkins-McCaw Library, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, Va.
Accession number
Acc. 18
Title
Records of the Board of Trustees of Memorial Hospital 1899-1913
Physical Characteristics
.4 linear feet, 21 items
Language
English

Administrative Information

Access

Collection is open to research.

Publication Rights

There are no restrictions.

Preferred Citation

Records of the Board of Trustees of Memorial Hospital, Accession #18, Special Collections and Archives, Tompkins-McCaw Library, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, Va.

Acquisition Information

Donor unknown; part of TML basement collection.

Processing Information

Originally accessioned 8 October 1975.


Biographical/Historical Information

In 1899, Drs. George Ben Johnston and Ennion G. Williams conceived the idea of building a large private hospital to serve the citizens of Richmond. Their idea was enthusiastically received and contributions for the proposed hospital were offered by some of Richmond's civic and philanthropic leaders. The Charlotte Williams Hospital Corporation was chartered on 13 October 1899 to erect a hospital and manage its affairs. Members of the original association included Robert S. Bosher, John L. Williams, E.T. D. Myers, William R. Trigg, John Skelton Williams, E. Randolph Williams, E. L. Bemiss, W. M. Habliston, C. W. Tanner, Fred E. Nolting and five physicians: Drs. George Ben Johnston, Christopher Tompkins, Lewis S. Bosher, H. H. Levy and Ennion G. Williams.

The proposed hospital and corporation was named in memory of John L. Williams' daughter Charlotte Randolph Williams who drowned on 7 July 1884 at Old Point Comfort. Williams gave $100,000 to the project and he and his three sons served on the Board of Trustees. In November of 1901 the Board of Trustees approved a name change for both the hospital and the corporation to Memorial Hospital.

The Board secured a site for the hospital at the corner of 12th and Broad Streets and construction of the hospital began on 22 June 1901. The "H" shaped building constructed of gray brick trimmed in stone and terra cotta was completed in 1903 at a cost of $198,000. The hospital opened to patients on 27 July 1903 with 64 private and 124 ward beds. From the outset the hospital served as a teaching facility for the faculty at the Medical College of Virginia.

The Board encountered numerous financial difficulties while managing the hospital. In 1904, it officially leased the hospital to MCV but the fiscal problems continued. The Board considered conveying the hospital to the City of Richmond in 1911 over the opposition of the MCV faculty. Ultimately the hospital was conveyed to the Medical College of Virginia as a condition of its merger with the University College of Medicine. The combined medical schools assumed the indebtedness of the Memorial Hospital and the Board of Trustees ceased to exist. The Board approved the conveyance of the Memorial Hospital on 20 March 1913.

Scope and Content

The records include one bound volume of the minutes of the Board of Trustees from 1899 to 1913. There are no minutes for 1906 to 1908. The records also include correspondence, resolutions and reports.

Arrangement

Records are arranged in chronological order.

Contents List

Box 1
Minutes of the Board of Trustees 1899-1913
bound volume
Box 1
Lease between Charlotte Williams Hospital and Memorial Hospital Corporation 1 March 1904

Also includes notary sheet and a renwal of the lease from 1 June 1906 until 31 May 1907

Box 1
Correspondence received by E. Randolph Williams 1908, 1912

Correspondence Williams received as Secretary of the Charlotte Williams Hospital

Box 1
Report to the Board of Trustees 7 Febrary 1911
Box 1
Resolution of the Board of Trustees 1912?

Copy of resolution by the Board to withdraw offer of hospital to the city of Richmond