A Guide to the Interfaith Council of Greater Richmond records, 1936-1999 M321

A Guide to the Interfaith Council of Greater Richmond records, 1936-1999

A Collection in
Special Collections and Archives, James Branch Cabell Library
Collection number M321


Virginia Commonwealth University, James Branch Cabell Library

Special Collections and Archives
James Branch Cabell Library
Box 842003
Virginia Commonwealth University
Richmond, Virginia 23284-2003
Phone: (804) 828-1108
Fax: (804) 828-0151
Email: libjbcsca@vcu.edu
URL: http://www.library.vcu.edu/about/special-collections/cabell/

© 2004 By Virginia Commonwealth University. All rights reserved

Processed by: Jolene Milot

Special Collections and Archives, James Branch Cabell Library, Virginia Commonwealth University
Collection number
Interfaith Council of Greater Richmond records, 1936-1999
5 linear feet.
Interfaith Council of Greater Richmond

Administrative Information

Access Restrictions

Collection is open to research.

Use Restrictions

There are no restrictions.

Preferred Citation

Collection # M321, Special Collections and Archives, James Branch Cabell Library, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA.

Acquisition Information

Donated by the Interfaith Council of Greater Richmond, VA in 2003

Historical Information

The Interfaith Council of Greater Richmond (ICGR) is an organization of 21 different religious denominations in the city of Richmond and surrounding counties. The 98 member congregations within these faith groups bring together diverse doctrinal, cultural and ethnic backgrounds.

Prior to 1900, community responsibilities for public welfare were assumed by volunteers from various religious groups. However, with the development of the profession of Social Work in the 1920s, many city governments began to employ public welfare workers. The need for communication among the public and private organizations, professionals, and volunteers in Richmond, VA led to the formation of the Richmond Council of Social Agencies in the early 1920s, and subsequently the Richmond Community Fund in 1924. Dr. Arthur Guild was the Executive Director of both groups.

There was confusion between the new social work professionals and the church members who traditionally had been responsible for helping those in need. The Council of Social Agencies along with the Richmond Ministerial Union saw the need for understanding and cooperation between the religious community and the social agencies. To address this need, the Rev. Dr. James C. Faw, a member of the Board of Directors for both agencies, turned to the women of the churches and synagogues who were already organized within their organizations. The recommendation passed and a subcommittee of the Council was established. Dr. Faw and Mr. Guild assisted women from three faiths - Protestant, Catholic and Jewish - to organize the Council of Church Women in 1929 as a Sub-Council of the Council of Society Agencies. This Council of Church Women was the first name of the Interfaith Council of Greater Richmond. Mrs. McClean Whittet became the first Chair.

In 1940, the name of the Council of Church Women was changed to The Interfaith Council of the Richmond Area Church Women to avoid confusion with The Women's Council of Churches, an existing Protestant group.

In 1979, The Interfaith Council of Richmond Area Church Women shortened its name to The Interfaith Council in order to reflect more clearly the diversity of religious traditions it represented. The Bahá'i Faith was the first expansion faith to join ICGR in the 1970s. In the same year, the Interfaith Council accepted an invitation to affiliate with the National Conference of Christians and Jews (NCCJ). In 1991-92, the Council added the Virginia Council of Churches (VCC) and the Virginia Interfaith Center for Public Policy to its circle of affiliations.

In 1986, the Interfaith Council changed its name to the Interfaith Council of Greater Richmond (ICGR) to expand its membership to the entire area. In 1991-92, representatives from Muslim, Sikh, Hindu, Buddhist, Jain, and American Baptist groups were welcomed into membership.

In 1983-84, a member of the Greek Orthodox Church and in 1991-92, a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints were elected President. The Board voted in January 1992 to incorporate all member religious organizations into the rotation for presidential election.

Scope and Content

The materials in this collection range from 1936 to 2004 and include correspondence, minutes, photographs, and numerous yearbooks from the Interfaith Council of Greater Richmond. The collection highlights the annual events and the meetings of the organization.


The collection is contained in albums arranged chronologically by each president’s term.

Contents List

Box 1
Box-folder 1:1
N.D. Materials [Found loose in box] N.D.


Second Mile Stocking

Members and Guests Registration

Past Presidents

Box-folder 1:2
“Oldest Papers: Dr. Faw’s File” n.d., 1936, 1946, 1954, circa 1971


Historical Sketch



Purpose and Standing Rules

Past Presidents List

Box-folder 1:3


Family Relations

Public Welfare

Radio Broadcast

Recreation and City Government

Box-folder 1:4


Box-folder 1:5




Box-folder 1:6
9 December 1949 - 10 May 1962

Annual Reports, Correspondence, Minutes, Treasurer's Reports

Box-folder 1:7

Committee Members

Box-folder 1:8

Easter Sunday Broadcast, Minutes

Box-folder 1:9

Churches by Denomination, Correspondence, Program Theme

Box-folder 1:10

Correspondence, Minutes, Program Theme

Box-folder 1:11

Correspondence, Minutes

Box-folder 1:12

Correspondence, Journal Clippings, Minutes

Box-folder 1:13

Correspondence, Minutes, Representatives

Box-folder 1:14

Correspondence, Meeting Announcements, Minutes

Box-folder 1:15

Correspondence, Clippings, Minutes

Box-folder 1:16

Certificates, Correspondence

Box-folder 1:17

Correspondence, Minutes

Box-folder 1:18

Agenda, Correspondence, Minutes, Program Theme, Treasurer's Report

Box-folder 1:19
14 September 1962 - 9 May 1970


Box-folder 1:20

Agenda, Correspondence, Minutes

Box 2
Box-folder 2:1
September 1963 - May 1964

Minutes, Correspondence