A Guide to the Sixth Mount Zion Baptist Church records, 1902-2012 Sixth Mount Zion Baptist Church records M 57

A Guide to the Sixth Mount Zion Baptist Church records 1902-2012

A Collection in
Special Collections and Archives, James Branch Cabell Library
Collection Number M 57


[logo]

Virginia Commonwealth University, James Branch Cabell Library

Special Collections and Archives
James Branch Cabell Library
Box 842003
Virginia Commonwealth University
Richmond, Virginia 23284-2003
USA
Phone: (804) 828-1108
Fax: (804) 828-0151
Email: libjbcsca@vcu.edu
URL: http://www.library.vcu.edu/about/special-collections/cabell/

© 2001 By Copyright Virginia Commonwealth University. All Rights Reserved.

Funding: Web version of the finding aid funded in part by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities.

Processed by: Special Collections Archives and Staff

Repository
Special Collections and Archives, James Branch Cabell Library, Virginia Commonwealth University
Collection number
M 57
Title
Sixth Mount Zion Baptist Church records 1902-2012
Physical Characteristics
.42 linear feet
Creator
Sixth Mount Zion Baptist Church
Language
English

Administrative Information

Access

The collection is open for use without restrictions.

Use Restrictions

There are no restrictions.

Preferred Citation

Box/folder, Sixth Mount Zion Baptist Church records, M 57, Special Collections and Archives, James Branch Cabell Library, Virginia Commonwealth University.

Acquisition Information

Material donated to Special Collections and Archives by Sixth Mount Zion Baptist Church in 1994.

Processing Information

Collection processed in July 1998. Reprocessed in April 2016.


Biographical/Historical Information

The Sixth Mount Zion Baptist Church was founded by Reverend John Jasper on September 3, 1867 and was the first church in Richmond organized by an African American. The congregation originally met in an abandoned horse stable on Brown's Island in the James River. In 1869, the congregation purchased land on Duval Street located in what is now Jackson Ward. The core of the present church building was erected in 1885 by George Boyd. The 1925 remodeling of the church in the Gothic Revival style was done by architect Charles T. Russell and builder I. Lincoln Bailey. The church was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1996.

Source: Virginia Department of Historic Resources, National Register of Historic Places registration form, Sixth Mount Zion Baptist Church, 1996.

Scope and Content Information

The collection consists of an assortment of articles, programs, images, brochures, clippings, and other materials concerning the church, its pastors, and Jackson Ward. Many of the items in the collection are photocopies of the originals, but there is some original material, such as booklets and programs from various church anniversary celebrations. There are also materials relating to the 19th century, such as John Jasper's sermons, but since these materials are photocopies from secondary sources the date range of the records reflect only the dates of original materials in the collection.

Arrangement

The materials are arranged alphabetically.

Contents List

Box-folder 1:1
Anniversary, 58th booklet (photocopy), 1925
Box-folder 1:2
Anniversary, 125th program, 1992
Box-folder 1:3
Anniversary, 126th and 127th anniversary flyers, 1993-94
Box-folder 1:4
Anniversary, 130th, booklet, programs, and other materials, 1997
Box-folder 1:5
Articles about Sith Mount Zion Baptist Church
Box-folder 1:6
Brochures, bulletins, and programs (originals and photocopies)
Box-folder 1:7
Certificates and proclamations (photocopies)
Box-folder 1:8
Church calendar, 1993
Box-folder 1:9
Church ephemera

Includes photocopies of hymns, Mission day offering envelop, and finance committee form.

Box-folder 1:10
Church history

Various articles, clippings, and other materials related to the church

Box-folder 1:11
Church history, bios of select members and staff
Box-folder 1:12
Church history, essay "A History of Ushering," 1993
Box-folder 1:13
Historic marker, photocopy of marker and dedication program, 1996
Box-folder 1:14
Images - Bailey, I.L. and Russell, C.T., church builder and architect (photocopies)
Box-folder 1:15
Images - Carey, Lott (photocopy)
Box-folder 1:16
Image - Christmas card with image of church interior, 1970
Box-folder 1:17
Images - church interior/exterior (photocopies)
Box-folder 1:18
Images - Senior choir, 1944
Box-folder 1:19
National Register of Historic Places, nomination application, 1996

Only the portion of the application about architectural description and historical significance.

Box-folder 1:20
Pastors - Brown, Augustus Walter, Sr. bio
Box-folder 1:21
Pastors - Jasper, John, articles, bios, and images (photocopies)
Box-folder 1:22
Pastors - Jasper, John, family record (photocopy)
Box-folder 1:23
Pastors - Jasper, John, sermons (photocopies)

Including his most famous sermon "De Sun Do Move."

Box-folder 1:24
Pastors - Johns, Verson D., Oberlin Memorial program, 1990
Box-folder 1:25
Pastors - Johnson, John E., Jr., Installation service, 1993
Box-folder 1:26
Pastors - Peyton, Randolph, Installation service, 1902
Box-folder 1:27
Poem, "The Antebellum Preacher," by Rev. Roger H. Johnson
Box-folder 1:28
Poem, "The Sleeping Giant, Dr. Augustus Walter Brown," by Geneva G. Thomas
Box-folder 1:29
Quilt, Sixth Mount Zion Baptist Church Historical Quilt, image, 1997
Box-folder 1:30
Quilt, John Jasper Bicentennial Commemorative Quilt, image and description, 2012
Box-folder 1:31
Schomburg Center Survey of Black Religious Institutions - Sixth Mount Zion, 1992