A Guide to the Edwin M. Betts Memorial Collection of University of Virginia Prints, Photographs, and Illustrations, 1817-1930 University of Virginia Prints, Photographs, and Illustrations, Edwin M. Betts Memorial Collection of 7073,-a

A Guide to the Edwin M. Betts Memorial Collection of University of Virginia Prints, Photographs, and Illustrations, 1817-1930

A Collection in
Special Collections
The University of Virginia Libraryt
Accession Number 7073,-a


[logo]

Special Collections, University of Virginia Library

Albert and Shirley Small Special Collections Library
University of Virginia
Charlottesville, Virginia 22904-4110
USA
Phone: (434) 243-1776
Fax: (434) 924-4968
Reference Request Form: https://small.lib.virginia.edu/reference-request/
URL: http://small.library.virginia.edu/

© 2011 By the Rector and Visitors of the University of Virginia. All rights reserved.

Processed by: Special Collections Staff

Repository
Special Collections, University of Virginia Library
Accession number
7073,-a
Title
Edwin M. Betts Memorial Collection of University of Virginia Prints, Photographs, and Illustrations, 1817-1930
Physical Characteristics
This collection consists of 104 items.
Language
English

Administrative Information

Access Restrictions

Researchers must use slides for routine research due to fragile nature of many originals.

Use Restrictions

See the University of Virginia Library’s use policy.

Preferred Citation

Edwin M. Betts Memorial Collection of University of Virginia Prints, Photographs and Illustrations, Accession #7073,-a, Special Collections, University of Virginia Library, Charlottesville, Va.

Alternative Form

This collection is also available on 35 mm slides.

Notes:

1. Some entries below reproduce notations made by Mr. and Mrs. Betts indicating what was noteworthy or distintive about the image. Such notations are quoted within parentheses. (These notations were found on materials formerly used to hold the items in frames.)
2. The present chronological order of the items as listed below was established in May 2000 and consitutes a change from the previous order. On the slides in 35mm Slide Series AD the typed numbers are the earlier numbers while the numbers written in pencil are the new numbers. The negative in Negative Series 35-195 retain the previous Betts numbers.
3. The "File" referred to in some entries is the Prints File of the University of Virginia images.
4. The sources of the 19th century prints of the University in this collection are cited and described more fully in Edwin M. Betts, Groundplans and Prints of the University of Virginia; reprint from the Proceedings of the American Philosophical Society, Vol 90, no. 21, 1946.


Scope and Content

The collection contains originals or copies of prints or photographs of the University of Virginia. Included are the Peter Maverick Ground Plan, 1822; the Tanner engraving from the Herman Böÿe map of Virginia, 1826; the W. Goodacre engraving from J.H. Hinton's History...of the U.S.,1831; the G. Poppel engraving from Meyer's Universum,1836; the Grenville Mellen woodcut, 1838; a Porte Crayon? sketch, 1845 and the wood engraving, 1853; the P.S. Duval lithograph, 1849; the Bohn engraving, 1856; the first known photograph, 1868; and wood engravings from Frank Leslie's Ilustrated Weekly,1876, and Century Magazine,1887.

The collection also contains a photograph of the medical class of 1873 in front of Anatomical Hall; a portrait of Robley Dunglison; halftone book illustrations of Brooks Museum, 1876, Leander McCormick Observatory, 1888, the old "Corner," n.d., and Fayerweather gymnasium, 1893; a photograph of Estelle Burthe at the old resevoir; interior and exterior views of the Rotunda and annex prior to the fire; the Rotunda fire and aftermath, 1895; the restored Rotunda, 1898; halftone book illustrations of Rouss, Cabell, Cock and Madison Halls, President's Alderman inauguration, and Carr's Hill, 1903-1907.

Also a view of the University on an 1883 mortgage bond; aerial views, 1907-1929; Monroe Hill Dormitories, 1929; Senff Memorial Gate, 1922; and book illustrations and photographs of the Hospital, 1900-1930.

Arrangement

The views of the university are arranged chronologically: the earliest plans and views of the university are followed by images of buildings added after the original complex was built; then views of the burning of the Rotunda and its rebuilding, then the expansion of the university; and the hospital, medical school, and successive additions.

Contents List

Thomas Jefferson to William Thornton 9 May 1817
ALS, 23 x 18 cm

Photograph of letter specifying planting grass and trees. Nichols #300

O.S. Box N-7
"University of Virginia" Ground Plan, 1822 1923
Facsimile of engraving

By Peter Maverick ("Ground plan of U.Va./1822. Note steps at end of terraces/also unnumbered dormitories.") N#382

O.S. Box N-7
"University of Virginia" Ground Plan 1825
Engraving

Engraving by Peter Maverick, drawn by John Neilson ("Plan of 1825. Note absence of steps & numbered dormitories. This plan shows the university as built. Used by University of Virginia in 1960's, copies made by the Meriden Press.") Copy negative N#385

"Explanations, of the Ground Plan of the University" 1825
17 x 14 cm

Printed text accompanying #3

"University of Virginia" From the South 1826

Framed photograph of engraving by Tanner embellishing Herman Böÿe's "Map of the State of Virginia" (Richmond, 1827) in Special Collections G 3880 1826 .B61827. Copy negative 8 x 10-7

"University of Virginia, Charlottesville" 1831
9 x 14 cm

Hand-colored steel engraving, drawn by W. Goodacre, eng. by Fenner Sears & Co., from John Howard Hinton's The History and Topography of the United States(Vol. 1: London: Jennings & Chaplin; and Philadelphia: Wardle, 1830; Vol. 2: London: Simkin & Marshall, and Philadelphia: Thomas Wardle, 1832) Vol. 2, after p. 534. ("A favorite at one time for decorative papers applied on trays, wastebaskets, etc." Copy negative N45-205

"University of Virginia, Charlottesville" from the south 1831
10 x 15 cm

Image   

Steel engraving, drawn by W. Goodacre. Probably from same edition of Hinton as Betts #6. Folder has 3 photographic prints of the original item. Copy negative N45-205

"University of Virginia, Charlottesville" 1831
10 x 15 cm

Image   

Steel engraving, drawn by W. Goodacre, from edition of Hinton pub. by Tallis, c. 1849, in which the topographical views have decorative borders with vignettes of scenes from American history. Special Collections: E178.H6921849, John Howard Hinton, The History and Topography of the United States(London, New York: Tallis, 1849), in six divisions, University of Virginia print near beginning of Vol. VI.

"College in Charlottesville" 1835
9 x 14 cm

Image   

Woodcut from American Magazine of Useful and Entertaining Knowledge, p. 367

"Die Virginia - Universitat" from south 1836
11 x 16 cm

Image   

Steel engraving, drawn by G. Poppel. From Meyer's Universum, 1837 (Hildburghausen, Amsterdam, and New York: Kunstanstalt der ibliographischen Institut, Hermann Meyer, 1837), Vol. IV, p. 52. There was an American edition, beg. 1852?, titled Our Globe Illustrated, pub. C.F. Hausman & Co., Phil. negative N35-148

"Universite de Virginie" 1837
9 x 13 cm

Image   

Etching and engraving, drawn by Arnout, eng. by Traversier, from Roux de Rochelle (1762-1849), Etats-Unis d'Amerique(Paris: Firmin Didot Freres, 1837).

"University of Virginia" 1838
6 x 8 cm

Woodcut from Grenville Mellen, A Book of the United States(Hartford: H.F. Sumner, 1838; and later eds.) not at University of Virginia. ("UVA 1835 from Book of the United Statespublished in Hartford 1838 and on page 479 a small wood cut, size 3 1/2 x 4 1/8 is shown of U Va").

"Universita di Virginia" 1839
9 x 13 cm

Etching and engraving from Roux de Rochelle, Stati Uniti D'America. Italian ed. not at U.Va. ("The Italian translation of print of 1837")

"Universitat Von Virginia, Charlottesville" 1842
5 x 10 cm

Engraving from Traugott Bromme, Gemälde von Nord-Amerika in allen beziehungen von der entdeckung an bis auf die neueste zeit(Stuttgart: J. Scheibel's buchhanglung, 1842).

"University of Virginia, at Charlottesville" 1845
8 x 16 cm

Image   

Woodcut from Henry Howe, Historical Collections of Virginia(Charleston: Babcock & Co., 1845). ("From History of Virginia by Howe--a more accurate print than the Hinton one [referring to Goodacre's view]") Copy negative N45-897

O.S. Box Q-16
View of University from East with Hunter in Foreground c. 1845
29 x 25 cm

Image   

Photograph of charcoal sketch [by Porte Crayon?] ("The source and date of this drawing is unkown. East Range is shown with the divisions of the gardens and the Rotunda without the Annex. It is possible the sketch was made in the late 1840s, certainly before 1851 when the Annex was begun.") Copy negative N45-884

"University of Virginia from the East" 1849
14 x 23 cm

Image   

Photograph of lithograph by P.S. Duval's Steam Lith Press, Philia., included in Album with "Autographs of the University of Virginia, 1851" stamped on spine ("from 'Autograph Album of the University,' 1850. Note Rotunda without North portico. This is one of the most interesting prints since it shows the Rotunda as Jefferson built it.") also N35-73

"The University of Virginia" from east with train 1853
10 x 19 cm

Image   

Wood engraving after Porte Crayon [David Hunter Strother] from Harper's Monthly Magazine, Aug. 1856, p. 304 (Alderman stacks AP2.H3); subsequently appeared in Porte Crayon's Virginia Illustrated(Harper & Bros., 1857, p. 242. ("The annex to the Rotunda was begun in 1851 and completed in 1853. It burned in 1895 and was never rebuilt. This is the 1st engraving showing the Annex.") Copy negative N45-886

"View of the University of Virginia/From the South" [actually the east] 1856
10 x 17 cm

Image   

Steel engraving printed by H. Weber, pub. by C. Bohn. Used as frontispiece of the University Catalogue, 1856; and as frontispiece of "Bohn's Album and Autographs of the University of Virginia" (Washington: Casimir Bohn, 1859) [Special Collections: MSS 10077].

"View of the University of Virginia" from the east 1856
13 x 22 cm

Photograph of Bohn's engraving, Betts 19. ("East Lawn in foreground. Looking towards Lewis Mt. and the West. C & O railroad just above Rotunda.")

"University of Virginia" from south 1856
13 x 22 cm

Image   

Photograph of engraving by J. Serz published by c. Bohn. ("Autograph Album of the University, 1859/ Notice to the left Anatomical Hall with Cupola") Copy negative N45-71

"View of the University of Virginia . . ." From West 1856
16 x 23 cm

Photograph (B& W) of color lithograph drawn by E. Sachse & Co., published by C. Bohn. An impression of the original lithograph usually hangs in the Dome Room of the Rotunda. Copy negative: RG-5/7/2.762 Skinner #1946, both color and b & w

"University--Infirmary (Erected 1857)" n.d.
8 x 11 cm

Halftone book illustration

Lawn and Rotunda with Turnstile 1868
18 x 24 cm

Copy of photograph ("1868 Turnstile at southern end of Lawn to keep out wandering livestock/see MSS #8116 for original")

The University from the East 1868
19 x 24 cm

Two copies of photograph. ("Showing field where hospital and Medical School now stand. Temperance Hall to the right erected in 1855-56.") Copy negative N45-586-A

"Chemical Laboratory, Erected 1868-69" n.d.
8 x 11 cm

Halftone book illustration ("This building burned in 1917. It was rebuilt in its present form for the Biology Department.")

The University of Virginia from West ca. 1869-79
5 x 10 cm

Woodcut used in masthead of [Charlottesville] Weekly Chronicle.

"Western Aspect of the University of Virginia" ca. 1872
16 x 22 cm

Photograph of a woodcut after Bohn. (From Harpers Monthly May 1872, "Jefferson's Pet" [by Schele DeVere]").

"University--Eastern View from McKennie's Store Roof" 1872
16 x 22 cm

Photograph of book illustration from David M.R. Culbreth, The University of Virginia(New York, Washington: The Neale Pub. Co., 1908; in Special Collections). ("From [Beta Theta Pi] History of UVa by David M.R. Culbreth, M.D. 1908") also negative N35-75

Medical Class of 1873 in Front of Anatomical Hall 1873
11 x 9 cm

Photograph Copy negative N45-886E

"University--Medical Hall, Erected 1825, Restored 1886" n.d.
8 x 11 cm

Halftone book illustration. ("Medical hall as rebuilt but without the present entrance which was built by Dr. W. A. Lambeth. Compare these two with the present building . . .")

Anatomical Hall from East 1938
12 x 18 cm

Photograph ("Building Material from the Alderman Library surrounds the Hall. Subsequently razed after the Library was completed.") Copy negative N45-886-M

Anatomical Hall, "University of Virginia, School of Medicine, Dr. Robley Dunglison (1798-1869)" n.d.
11 x 16 cm

Image in color from "Series of Interesting Events in Medical History" pub. by CIBA Pharmaceuticals Inc. Accompanying text: "The old anatomical Hall was built in 1826 with a cupola on top. Later it was damaged by fire and rebuilt without the cupola (see an old photograph of original building). This building was demolished when the Alderman Library was built in 1938." Near attached notice about School of Medicine: "Dr. Dunglison was born in Keswick, Cumberland England Jan. 4, 1798. He arrived in America Feb. 10, 1825 to begin teaching duties at University of Virginia. He later taught at University of Maryland then at Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia. He died in Philadelphia in April 1868."

Portrait of Robley Dunglison n.d.
16 x 12 cm

Photograph [source unknown] Copy negative N45-492A.

Anatomical Hall/Construction of Alderman Library 1938
12 x 17 cm

Photograph

Anatomical Hall & Chapel/Construction of Alderman 1938
12 x 17 cm

Photograph

"University of Virginia" from the West c. 1876
13 x 21 cm

Photograph of wood engraving published as a letterhead by McKennie and Son; see Paul B. Barringer's letter to his father, January 15, 1875.

Brooks Museum, From Southeast c. 1876
17 x 11 cm

Halftone book illustration ("A view soon after erection 1876") Copy negative N45-886G

"The University of Virginia at Charlottesville" 1876
13 x 17 cm

Wood engraving after photograph by W. Frayser in 3 June 1876 Frank Leslie's Illustrated Weekly.

University of Virginia from West [reversed] on University of Virginia Mortgage Bond July 2, 1883

Photograph of image on bond, lithograph by A. Hoen & Co., after C. Bohn.

"The University of Virginia at Charlottesville . . ." 1887
6 x 13 cm

Wood engraving after Harry Fenn from Century Magazine, Sept. 1887, accompanying article by Frank Stockon, "The Later Years of Monticello."

Leander McCormick Observatory" [built c. 1888] n.d.
11 x 19 cm

Halftone book illustration ("Picture made soon after completion.") Copy negative N45-887

"Outline View of the University of Virginia" n.d.
6 x 15 cm

Photograph and negative [source unknown]

"The Old 'Corner'" [old University Book Store, formerly Temperance Hall] n.d.
8 x 13 cm

Halftone book illustration ("Temperance Hall erected 1855-1856. It was replaced by the building that now houses the University Bank and the University Book Store.") Copy negative N45-232

"Addition to Rotunda, Facing North" 1888

Halftone book illustration from Herbert B. Adams, Thomas Jefferson and the University of Virginia(Washington: Govt. Printing Office, 1888: Special Collections: LA201.A3 1888).

"The Fayerweather Gymnasium" c. 1893
9 x 13 cm

Halftone book illustration. ("Soon after completion")

"The Fayerweather Gymnasium, with Dr. Lambeth's House at Left n.d.
9 x 12 cm

Photograph by Estelle Burthe. ("A view taken soon after young trees were planted on Rugby Rd. Picture taken by Miss Estelle Burthe, step-daughter of Prof. Mallet. To the left of the Gym is the house in which Dr. W. A. Lambeth lived while director of Athletics".)

Estelle Burthe at the Old Reservoir 1893
9 x 12 cm

Photograph. Estelle was a step-daughter of Dr. Mallet. The reservoir was built c. 1869 by G. Peyton on Observatory Mountain. N45-886H

Rotunda and Lawn with Steps c. 1890
12 x 20 cm

Photograph by Wampler

Interior of Rotunda Annex and "School of Athens" Mural c. 1890
13 x 19 cm

Photograph. Copy negative N45-886J

O.S. Box Q-16
Interior of Rotunda Annex and "School of Athens" Mural n.d.
24 x 33 cm

("The Public Hall or Auditorium located in the Annex prior to the fire 1895. The copy of the School of Athens.") Copy negative N45-?

Rotunda, South Facade 1892
22 x 28 cm

Photographic copy of helioype (also published in book by James M. Corner, Examples of Domestic Colonial Architecture in Maryland and Virginia notes on back, from "Examples of Domestic Colonial Architecture Maryland and Virginia by Chandler, original about 1892 ("Original Carra Marble Capitols & Columns, Original Dome") [later addition: This plate is NOT in Chandler--EB 19 Jan 67/James M. Corner] Copy negative N45-628]

"Street Front of the University of Virginia . . ." 1892

Rotunda and Annex from the southwest. Photograph illustration from Chandler's Colonial Architecture of Maryland and Virginia, plate 46.

"The 'Pond'/Annex (North Front) in Background" prior to 1895
6 x 10 cm

Halftone book illustration ("Before & after this pond acted as a reservoir for water to be pumped to top of the Rotunda.") Copy negative N45-886

"The Library" in Rotunda Dome Rome prior to 1895
21 x 32 cm

"Photostat" of book illustration

"The Old Rotunda Prior to the Fire (Oct. 27, 1895)" n.d.
12 x 17 cm

Halftone illustration from Morgan Poitiaux Robinson, The Burning of the Rotunda(Richmond, VA: F. J. Mitchell, c. 1905; also 1921) 30 pp. ("From 'The Burning of the Rotunda' by Robinson. Note the lantern on the Rotunda.")

"Rotunda and Annex before the Fire/View from Carr's Hill" n.d.
10 x 18 cm

Frontispiece to Morgan P. Robinson, The Burning of the Rotunda. Copy negative N45-886D

View of Lawn from Rotunda prior to 1895
9 x 11 cm

Colored book illustration. ("View of Lawn from Rotunda-Window, facing South' shows long southern vista from the Rotunda before Cabell Hall was built. Ragged Mountains in distance.")

Rotunda Annex from Northwest prior to 1895
10 x 16

Photograph ("'The Annex and Ramparts' sometime before the fire. Given by Minor (?)") Copy negative N45-886I

Ball in Rotunda Dome Room 1894

Photograph of illustration from Corks & Curls. Also printed program for November 29, 1892 performance of "Caste" and October 12, 1892 Colonial Ball at Monticello [three items formerly displayed together in large frame] see also negative N35-11C

"The Lawn and Rotunda at Time of the Fire" [1895]
10 x 18 cm

Halftone book illustration ("Note the 'Lantern' has been removed from top of Rotunda.")

"Beginning of the Fire" 1895
15 x 20 cm

Photograph of a newspaper illustration of a pencil sketch ("published in the Richmond Times-Dispatchthe day after the fire") also negative N35-32

"Ruins of the Rotunda" 1895
14 x 19 cm

Photo of a newspaper illustration of a pencil sketch published in the Richmond Times-Dispatchthe day after the fire.

"Ruins of the Annex" 1895
14 x 19 cm

Photograph of a newspaper illustration of a pencil sketch published in The Richmond Times-Dispatch.

"The Fire/Note that the Clock Stopped at [11:55]" n.d.
10 x 18 cm

Halftone book illustration also negative N35-74

Rotunda Burning, South Facade 1895
12 x 20 cm

Photograph by Wampler Copy negative N45-?

"The Lawn Littered with Books . . ." during the fire 1895
6 x 10 cm

Halftone book illustration also negative N35-102

"Rotunda Fire, 1898 [sic]" n.d.
12 x 17 n.d.

Halftone book illustration of Holsinger photograph from Corks and Curls, 1922. also negative N35-72C

O.S. Box Q-16
"Map of University Grounds" c. 1895-96
21 x 29 cm

Illustration from U.Va. Catalogue, 1895-96. Copy negative N45-1396

"The Rotunda . . ." after the fire, south facade 1895
11 x 11 cm

Halftone illustration and page from The Illustrated American, Vol. 18, 16 Nov. 1895, article, "The Ruins of Jefferson's Pride," pp. 618-619.

Rotunda and Annex from the North after the Fire 1895
20 x 25 cm

Photograph Copy negative N45-886L

Rotunda Ruins and Courtyard from West after Fire 1895
12 x 20 cm

Photograph by Wampler. ("After the Fire," 1895. Lent by the Virginia Room.")

"After the Fire" from West 1895
8 x 13 cm

Halftone illustration from Corks and Curls.

"Rounda and Annex . . ." from east 1895
6 x 10 cm

Halftone book illustration from Morgan P. Robinson, The Burning of the Rotunda.

"Guastavino Dome on the Restored Library of the University of Virginia" 1896-97
10 x 17 cm

(rebuilding of south front of Rotunda) Advertisement for R. Guastavino Co. from Indoors and Outmagazine.

Reconstruction of North Facade of Rotunda after Fire n.d.
18 x 23 cm

Photograph ("Rebuilding of Rotunda after fire 1895. The arched passageway through the ramparts led to basements of Annex.") Copy negative N45-586

Rebuilding of North Front of Rotunda 3 July 1897
9 x 12 cm

Photograph and negative Copy negative N45-165A

". . . Rotunda (Library) as Reconstructed" north front 1898
11 x 16 cm

Halftone book illustration also negative N35-108

"The Rotunda, Jefferson's Pantheon, from the Northwest" c. 1898
10 x 15 cm

Halftone book illustration ("'The Rotunda Fire, from the Northwest' 1898 as restored after the fire.")

"Auditorium and Laboratories" [Rouss, Cabell, Cocke Hall] c. 1903
12 x 17 cm

Halftone book (or calendar?) illustration ("The Southern end of the lawn 1903. This part was added by McKim Mead & White after the Rotunda fire in 1895. Note young trees.")

"The New Building of the YMCA" [Madison Hall] c. 1905
6 x 12 cm

Halftone book illustration ("Madison Hall 1905 soon after completion.")

"Inauguration Day at the University of Virginia" [of Edwin A. Alderman as first President] 13 April 1905
14 x 22 cm

Halftone magazine illustration from Dec. 1906 Indoors and Out, "A Monthly Magazine devoted to the Beautifying of American Chiefly by means of Architecture and the Arts Allied to It" [later House Beautiful].

"University of Virginia" Aerial view from north 1907
9 x 17 cm

Photograph of a photogravure by Richard Rummel. ("Brick wall along Main Street curves with a road leading into the University grounds just beyond the Brooks Museum.") Copy negative N45-??

"University--Carr's Hill, with Student's Mess Hall" n.d.
9 x 14 cm

Halftone book illustration ("'Carr's Hill, with Student's Mess Hall' before 1907. These buildings were replaced by the President's House in 1907-1909. Some of the buildings still stand back of the President's House.")

"University--West Range Arcade Looking Southward" n.d.
10 x 14 cm

Halftone book illustration ("Shows brick walk before covered with cement")

"The Arcades of the West Range" looking north n.d.
8 x 18 cm

Magazine illustration from Indoors and Out. ("showing slope before the present terraces were built. Anatomical Hall to left.")

"The Arcades of the East Range . . ." looking north n.d.
9 x 18 cm

Magazine illustration from Indoors and Out. ("showing slopes before present terraces were built")

"Serpentine Walls Connecting West Lawn and West Range" n.d.
10 x 14 cm

Halftone book illustration ("An interesting pictures showing the original walls & the condition of the walks--")

View of Serpentine Walls n.d.
10 x 13 cm

Halftone book illustration

Aerial Views and "Burning" of Rotunda for Centennial Movie n.d.
18 x 13 cm.

Photo montage illustration from Corks & Curls, 1922.

Aerial View from South 1929
18 x 24 cm

Photograph Copy negative N45-886F

Aerial View of the University from South 1929
9 x13 cm

Halftone illustration from Corks & Curls, 1929.

"The New [Monroe Hill] Dormitories Under Construction" 1929
6 x 13 cm

Illustration from Corks & Curls, 1929.

"Hospital" c. 1900
12 x 17 cm

Book or calender illustration. "The University of Virginia Hospital was opened in 1901 with a two-year training school for nurses. Additions were made frequently until 1929-30, when a unified and complete Medical School was realized."

"Hospital after Addition of First Wing" c. 1905
7 x 13 cm

Book illustration. ("Hospital c. 1906 shows main building with one wing.")

Hospital (from rear) after Addition of Second Wing c. 1908
10 x 18 cm

Book illustration. ("Shows main building with 2 wings. Rear view about 1908.")

View to Rear of Hospital 1929
19 x 24 cm

Photograph "Senff Gate & Medical School, 1929"

Sneff Memorial Gate 1922
9 x 12 cm

Halftone book illustration. "'The Gate and Corner,' 1922/ compare with corner of 1929"

Sneff Memorial Gate 1922 ?
18 x 13 cm

Illustration from Corks & Curls, 1929 ("Gates at Hospital--Front of Medical School")

Hospital after Addition of Medical School c. 1930
19 x 24 cm

Photograph "Before Barringer Wing was added."

Hospital with Barringer Wing n.d.
20 x 25 cm

Photograph "The Hospital when the Barringer Wing was added."

Hospital--Detail from West n.d.
20 x 25 cm

Photograph

Hospital--Detail from West n.d.
19 x 24 cm

Photograph "The original building to right of photo--built in 1903"

"College Prints on Parade" n.d.

Newspaper article about an exhibit of prints of colleges at The Old Print Shop in New York City, featuring a photograph of a print of the University by Poppel for Meyer's Universum(see Betts #10).