A Collection in
The Special Collections Department
Accession Number 11606
Special Collections Department, University of Virginia LibraryAlbert and Shirley Small Special Collections Library
University of Virginia
Charlottesville, Virginia 22904-4110
Phone: (434) 243-1776
Fax: (434) 924-4968
© 2001 By the Rector and Visitors of the University of Virginia. All rights reserved.
Funding: Web version of the finding aid funded in part by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Processed by: Special Collections Department
There are no restrictions.
Enniscorthy Collection, 1926-1970, Accession #11606, Special Collections Dept., University of Virginia Library, Charlottesville, Va.
The Enniscorthy Collection was given to the University of Virginia Library by Frances Kulikowski, La Jolla, California, on April 1, 2000.
This collection consists primarily of correspondence, architectural drawings, sketches, plats, designs, news clippings, specifications, abstracts of title, and other papers concerning the historic house and property Enniscorthy, Albemarle County, Virginia, 1926-1968, compiled by the Kulikowski family during their tenure at the house, ca. 1942-1955. There are also a few items pertaining to an unidentified house belonging to Adam H. Kulikowski in Louisa County, Virginia.
John Coles built the original structure on the tract of land which was called Enniscorthy, after the Coles family ancestral home in Leinster, Wexford County, Ireland. The land had been purchased by the Coles family around 1769 from the holder of the original land grant, Francis Eppes. In 1839 the house, now belonging to Isaac A. Coles (1780-1841), burnt to the ground. In 1850, his widow, Julianna Strickler Rankin Coles built a new brick structure on the site. Her son, Strickler Coles, sold the property to his relative, Tucker Skipwith Coles. Upon his death, the place was inherited by Lelia Coles Bennet (died ca. 1926).
In 1926, the property passed out of the Coles family and was sold to Mr. & Mrs. Albert Morrill, Cincinnati, Ohio. Enniscorthy was purchased in 1942 by Mr. And Mrs. Adam Kulikowski, Chicago, Illinois, who sold the property to Edward M. Keating in 1955.
Oversize items include a blueprint for alterations and additions for a house in Louisa County, Virginia, owned by Mr. A.H. Kulikowski; a blueprint for a cattle guard; a blueprint showing the location of carrara [marble?] and mirrors in a bathroom at Enniscorthy; two plats of the Enniscorthy Farm, Keene, Virginia, with the location of the plantation, pine trees, and hardwood trees noted; and several drawings of rooms, cabinets, drawers, sinks, and other interior drawings, presumably all of Enniscorthy; and a cross ventilation window system.
The collection is arranged alphabetically.