Inventory of the James Monroe Museum and Memorial Library Collection, 1963-ongoing James Monroe Museum and Memorial Library Collection 48. B4

Inventory of the James Monroe Museum and Memorial Library Collection, 1963-ongoing

A Collection in
Special Collections
Accession Number 48. B4


[logo]

Simpson Library, University of Mary Washington

Special Collections
Simpson Library
1801 College Avenue
University of Mary Washington
Fredericksburg, Virginia 22401-4665
USA
Phone: 540-654-1752
Fax: 540-654-1067
Email: refdesk@umw.edu
URL: http://www.umw.edu/library/research/special_collections_archiv/

© 2011 By the University of Mary Washington. All rights reserved.

Processed by: Rachel Frederick

Repository
Special Collections, Simpson Library, University of Mary Washington
Accession Number
48. B4
Title
James Monroe Museum and Memorial Library Collection 1963-ongoing
Physical Description
6 Folders
Creator
James Monroe Museum and Memorial Library
Language
English

Administrative Information

Access Restrictions

Collections are open for access.

Use Restrictions

Before usage, please contact Special Collections, Simpson Library.

Preferred Citation

, Record Group # 48. B4, Special Collections, Simpson Library, University of Mary Washington, Fredericksburg, VA.

Acquisition Information

Transfer of records


Historical Information

The James Monroe Museum and Memorial Library was founded in 1927 by Rose de Chine Gouverneur Hoes and Lawrence Gouverneur Hoes, James Monroe descendants. The Museum was placed in a building on the site of Monroes law office in Fredericksburg, Virginia, although the original Monroe building no longer stands. The large collection in the museum consists of the Monroe familys personal objects and papers which have been donated by the descendants or acquired later. In 1964, the museum and its collections were given to the Commonwealth of Virginia and are now administered by the University of Mary Washington.

When the James Monroe Museum was given to the University of Mary Washington, a Board of Regents was formed to help administer activities relating to the Museum. The Board was created in 1964 through an act of the Virginia General Assembly.

Scope and Content

The collection consists of papers regarding the James Monroe Museum and Memorial Library from 1963 to the present. The papers include correspondence, general, administrative records and material concerning the Board of Regents. The correspondence relates to the Board of Regents and its members: Walter Chinn (Vice President of the James Monroe Memorial Foundation), Grellet Simpson(Chancellor of Mary Washington College), LeRoy Strohl (University Librarian, 1985-2010), and Ruby Weinbrecht(University Librarian, 1972-1984).

Arrangement

The collection is organized into five series: Series (1): Administrative records, Series (2): Board of Regents, Series (3): Correspondence, Series (4): General and Series (5): Publications.

Contents List

Series 1:: Administrative Records 1995-2000
  • Folder 1
    Administrative Records 1995-2000
    • Collections Management Policy (draft) 1995
    • James Monroe Presidential Center - Strategic Vision 2000