A Guide to the Old Stone Methodist Church and Parsonage Property Research, 1761-2006 Old Stone Methodist Church and Parsonage Property Research M 062

A Guide to the Old Stone Methodist Church and Parsonage Property Research1761-2006

A Collection in the
Thomas Balch Library
Collection Number M 062


[logo]

Thomas Balch Library

Thomas Balch Library
208 West Market Street
Leesburg, Virginia 20176
USA
Phone: (703) 737-7195
Fax: (703) 737-7195
Email: balchlib@leesburgva.gov
URL: http://www.leesburgva.gov/government/departments/thomas-balch-library/

© 2006 By Thomas Balch Library. All rights reserved.

Processed by: Sarah E. Wycoff

Repository
Thomas Balch Library
Collection number
M 062
Title
Old Stone Methodist Church and Parsonage Property Research 1761-2006
Physical Characteristics
Creator
Margaret Welbourn Seccombe Brown, Carmel, CA and Vernon Davis, Leesburg, VA.
Language
English
Abstract
This collection consists of paperwork and research collected by Margaret Welbourn Seccombe Brown. The collection contains title history for the parsonage and the Old Stone Church, floor plans, and builders' notes for all additions to the parsonage house. There are pictures of the house during the times of the various owners as well as pamphlets on the Old Stone Church. Finally, there are newspaper clippings and letters to Betty Seccombe, the last owner of the house. Two CDs are included in the collection containing digital forms of a portion of the research.

Administrative Information

Access Restrictions

Collection open for research.

Use Restrictions

No physical characteristics affect use of this material.

Preferred Citation

Old Stone Church and Parsonage Property Research, 1761-2006 (M 062), Thomas Balch Library, Leesburg, VA.

Acquisition Information

Margaret Welbourn Seccombe Brown, Carmel, CA and Vernon Davis, Leesburg, VA.

Alternative Form Available

CDs (do not contain all the contents that are in the folders)

Accruals

2010.0326, 2010.0299, 2010.0071

Processing Information

Sarah E. Wycoff, 25 January 2011


Historical Information

Leesburg, Virginia was established 12 October 1758 on a tract of land belonging to Capt. Nicholas Minor (fl. 1740-1766). The original survey included seventy lots and seven streets, and required the initial owners to erect a building meeting certain dimensions within three years or the land reverted back to Minor.

Lot 49 was sold by Minor to John Urquhart (n.d.) in 1761. Urquhart built the house on the property in 1762 and sold the lot in 1764. The lot changed hands several times until Samuel Murrey (?-10 September 1821) bought it in 1804. Samuel Murrey and his wife Betsy (n.d.) were members of the Methodist church located next door on Lot 50. They sold their property to the Trustees of the Leesburg Methodist Church for use as a parsonage in 1816. In 1896, Dr. R.B. Fishbourne (30 May 1848-11 October 1927) and his wife Elizabeth Clagett Rogers (1852-22 October 1923) bought the building from the church. The Fishbournes made additions to the house including Dr. Fishbourne's office which later became the first town library. In the 1930s, the house was passed down to their daughter Margaret Welbourn (29 September 1889-September 1968) and her husband Reverend John Armistead Welbourn (26 January 1875-1960). Their daughter Elizabeth (Betty) F. Seccombe (10 June 1916-24 March 2006) inherited the home upon her mother's death. In 2007 Seccombe's children sold the property to the Trustees of the St. James Episcopal Church.

Lot 50 was sold by Minor to Robert Hamilton (?-1777) on 11 May 1766. The deed stipulated that it be used for a Methodist church or meeting house and graveyard. Parishioners included both white and African American members. By 1770 a small building made of soft stone had been built on the lot. It was replaced by a larger structure between 1785 and 1790 to accommodate the growing congregation, and enlarged in 1802.

The Methodist congregation split in 1848 over the question of slavery and formed the Methodist Church, South and the Methodist Church, North reflecting their respective political ties. After the Civil War, ownership of the church was disputed between the black and white members. The white members joined Leesburg United Methodist Church, which had been established by the southern faction, and the Africa American congregants built Mt. Zion United Methodist Church in 1867. A suit was filed in 1897 over use of the old building, and in 1900 the Loudoun County court ordered the property to be sold and proceeds divided between the two congregations. Shortly thereafter, the church was torn down and its building materials were incorporated into other local buildings. In 1961, the Virginia Conference of the Methodist Church purchased the lot to create a heritage landmark honoring the original Methodist Church, now known as the Old Stone Church.

Scope and Content

This collection consists of paperwork and research collected by Margaret Welbourn Seccombe Brown. The collection contains title history for the parsonage and the Old Stone Church, floor plans, and builders' notes for all additions to the parsonage house. There are pictures of the house during the times of the various owners as well as pamphlets on the Old Stone Church. Finally, there are newspaper clippings and letters to Betty Seccombe, the last owner of the house. Two CDs are included in the collection containing digital forms of a portion of the research.


Adjunct Descriptive Data

Bibliography

America's Genealogy Bank. http://infoweb.newsbank.com/gbnl/ (Accessed 25 January 2011).

Ancestry Library Edition, United States census, Social Security birth and death register, http://www.ancestrylibrary.com.

Brown, Margaret Welbourn Seccombe. Ancestors of John Emory Welbourn. Carmel, CA: s.n., 2003.

Flint, Ronald B. History of Methodism in Leesburg, Virginia 1766-1974. Leesburg, VA: Mt. Zion United Methodist Church, 1992.

General Commission on Archives and History, The United Methodist Church, http://www.gcah.org/site/c.ghKJI0PHIoE/b.3524023/ (Accessed 15 March 2011).

Hough, Orville Louis. Hough in Loudoun County, Virginia 1744-1850: An Unfinished History. Denver, CO: Hough, 1975.

Lee, Deborah A. African American Heritage Trail, Leesburg, Virginia. Leesburg, VA: Loudoun Museum [and] the Black History Committee of the Friends of Thomas Balch Library, 2002.

Loudoun Cemetery Database. http://www.leesburgva.gov/index.aspx?page=940 (Accessed 25 January 2011).

Miller, Kathryn. Leesburg Historic District A Survey of the Nicholas Minor Section. Leesburg, Va.: Historic and Architectural Resources, 1998.

Old Stone Church and Parsonage Property Research, 1761-2006 (M 062), Thomas Balch Library, Leesburg, VA.

Steadman, Melvin Lee, Jr. Leesburg's Old Stone Church 1766. Manassas, VA: Virginia-Craft Print Company, 1964.


Other Finding Aid

None


Technical Requirements

Electronic media required for alternative format

Other Finding Aid

None


Bibliography

America's Genealogy Bank. http://infoweb.newsbank.com/gbnl/ (Accessed 25 January 2011).

Ancestry Library Edition, United States census, Social Security birth and death register, http://www.ancestrylibrary.com.

Brown, Margaret Welbourn Seccombe. Ancestors of John Emory Welbourn. Carmel, CA: s.n., 2003.

Flint, Ronald B. History of Methodism in Leesburg, Virginia 1766-1974. Leesburg, VA: Mt. Zion United Methodist Church, 1992.

General Commission on Archives and History, The United Methodist Church, http://www.gcah.org/site/c.ghKJI0PHIoE/b.3524023/ (Accessed 15 March 2011).

Hough, Orville Louis. Hough in Loudoun County, Virginia 1744-1850: An Unfinished History. Denver, CO: Hough, 1975.

Lee, Deborah A. African American Heritage Trail, Leesburg, Virginia. Leesburg, VA: Loudoun Museum [and] the Black History Committee of the Friends of Thomas Balch Library, 2002.

Loudoun Cemetery Database. http://www.leesburgva.gov/index.aspx?page=940 (Accessed 25 January 2011).

Miller, Kathryn. Leesburg Historic District A Survey of the Nicholas Minor Section. Leesburg, Va.: Historic and Architectural Resources, 1998.

Old Stone Church and Parsonage Property Research, 1761-2006 (M 062), Thomas Balch Library, Leesburg, VA.

Steadman, Melvin Lee, Jr. Leesburg's Old Stone Church 1766. Manassas, VA: Virginia-Craft Print Company, 1964.


Contents List

Box: 1
  • Folder 1: Abstract Folder - basic history of the parsonage and church
  • Folder 2: Contents Folder - contains a listing of all the information of what is in the following folders and a letter of preface
  • Folder 3: Title History - contains information on the deeds (copies of deeds included) for the parsonage and a plan of Leesburg
  • Folder 4: 1762 House includes the floor plan of the original house and brief descriptions of the owner's lots
  • Folder 5: The Methodist Parsonage - consists of builders' notes for the 1836 extension to the parsonage and sections from books on Loudoun, Leesburg and the parsonage
  • Folder 6: The Fishbourne House - includes pictures and negatives of the house and the history of the family
  • Folder 7: Welbourn 1930 Remodel - contains floor plans of the remodels, detailed architectural pictures and information, and manuals of specifications of materials and labor for remodeling of the residence and for plumbing, heating and electric wiring
  • Folder 8: Historic Registrar and Tax Reports - includes documents for the house to be put of the National Register and tax information
  • Folder 9: The Old Stone Church - consists of photos and pamphlets
  • Folder 10: Deeds of the Old Stone Church - contains copies of deeds for the Old Stone Church
  • Folder 11: The Welbourn Garden - includes photos of the garden and cemetery and the March 1952 Garden Gossip Magazine which contains an article on the Welbourn garden
  • Folder 12: Newspaper Articles and Letters - contains various newspaper articles relevant to the parsonage house and Old Stone Church as well as letters to Betty Seccombe
  • Folder 13: CDs