A Guide to the James Goode Photograph Collection, Circa 1750s, 1759, 1892, 1899 James Goode Photograph Collection VC 0010

A Guide to the James Goode Photograph Collection, Circa 1750s, 1759, 1892, 1899

A Collection in the
Thomas Balch Library
Collection Number VC 0010


[logo]

Thomas Balch Library

Thomas Balch Library
208 West Market Street
Leesburg, Virginia 20176
USA
Phone: (703) 737-7195
Fax: (703) 737-7195
Email: balchlib@leesburgva.gov
URL: http://www.leesburgva.gov/government/departments/thomas-balch-library/

© 2006 By Thomas Balch Library. All rights reserved.

Processed by: Emily Hershman

Repository
Thomas Balch Library
Collection number
VC 0010
Title
James Goode Photograph Collection Circa 1750s, 1759, 1892, 1899
Extent
6 reproductions of photographs
Creator
James Goode
Language
English
Abstract
The items in the James Goode Photograph Collection include high-quality reproductions of sketches and maps pertaining to the history of Loudoun County

Administrative Information

Access Restrictions

Collection open for research.

Use Restrictions

Visual materials may require special handling.

Preferred Citation

James Goode Photograph Collection (VC 0010), Thomas Balch Library, Leesburg, VA.

Acquisition Information

James Goode

Alternative Form Available

Digital surrogates

Accruals

2007.0132, 2007.0141, 2007.0150, 2008.0043

Processing Information

Processed by Emily Hershman, 28 July 2008


Biographical Information

Originally from Statesville, North Carolina, James Moore Goode (1939- ) is the author of several books concerning Washington, D.C. history and landmarks. He obtained a B.A. from the University of South Carolina in 1964 and an M.A. from the University of Virginia in 1966, later earning his Ph.D. from the George Washington University in 1995. Dr. Goode was briefly a history instructor at George Mason University before working in the Prints and Photographs Division of the Library of Congress from 1968 to 1970. For the next eighteen years, he served as Curator of the Smithsonian Institution Building, preparing lectures and tours for scholars and the general public.

Dr. Goode is currently a consultant in fine arts and architectural history, and has served on the board of directors of two historical house museums, and has prepared five exhibitions for the Kiplinger Washington Editors Art Gallery. He donated the items in the James Goode Photograph Collection to Thomas Balch Library in 2007 and 2008.

Scope and Content

The items in the James Goode Photograph Collection include high-quality reproductions of sketches and maps pertaining to the history of Loudoun County. They are in overall good condition but should be handled carefully.

The first reprint in the collection is a sketch of St. James Episcopal Church, which appeared in the October 8, 1892 issue of American Architect and Building News. The drawing shows the plan for the outlay of the church as designed by Leon E. Dessez (1858-1918). The cornerstone for this building was laid in 1895; the first service was held there in 1897. It remains the present location of St. James Episcopal Church.

Next, the collection includes a portrait of John Campbell, Fourth Earl of Loudoun (1705-1782). Renowned for his family's allegiance to the British monarchy, Campbell led an army of highlanders against the Jacobite Rebellion of 1745; he was appointed captain-general and governor-in-chief of Virginia as well as commander-in-chief of British troops in American in 1756. In New York, however, Campbell lacked authority over the colonists. After ordering an unpopular embargo on ships and failing to effectively attack the French, he was recalled to England. Loudoun County was named in his honor in 1757. In January 1968, the Loudoun County Board of Supervisors adopted a coat-of-arms modeled on Campbell's own. The original of this item is in the collection of the Virginia Historical Society, which retains copyright.

The collection also contains both black and white and color reproductions of the Hough map. John Hough (1720-1797) was first employed as Lord Fairfax's surveyor in 1744, and in 1756 was hired to survey Minor's Plantation in expectation of the founding of Leesburg. Though Hough's initial draft of the map, drawn in 1757, has been lost, the revised 1759 map shows Leesburg's subdivision into 70 lots divided by three north-south streets and four east-west streets. The original from which these reproductions are made belongs to the Clerk of Loudoun County Circuit Court.

The last items are two reprinted photographs of Camp Ordway, an army camp that was located outside Leesburg from June 8-16, 1899. The first picture shows the tents and houses of Camp Ordway from a daisy field; the second is of the Y.M.C.A. tent at the camp, and most of the men are reading newspapers or looking at the camera. The originals of these items are in the collection of the Virginia Historical Society, which retains copyright. The originals are a set of three images hung together with string, of which the copies represent the second and third, respectively.

The sketch of St. James Episcopal Church, portrait of John Campbell, reproductions of the Hough map, and photographs from Camp Ordway are the only items in this collection.


Adjunct Descriptive Data

Bibliography

Arch Inform, http://eng.archinform.net/arch/28422.htm

Hough, Orville. Hough in Loudoun County, Virginia, 1744-1850: An Unfinished History. Denver, 1974.

James Goode Photograph Collection (VC 0010), Thomas Balch Library, Leesburg, VA

John Campbell, Earl of Loudoun Bookplate (SC 0017), Thomas Balch Library, Leesburg, VA

The James Goode Papers, The Gelman Library, The George Washington University, http://www.aladin.wrlc.org/gsdl/collect/faids/import/MS0670.shtml.

Williams, Harrison. Legends of Loudoun: An Account of the History and Homes of a Border County of Virginia's Northern Neck. Richmond: Garrett and Massie, 1938.

Poland, Charles Preston. From Frontier to Suburbia: Loudoun County, Virginia: One of America's Fastest Growing Counties. Westminster, Md.: Heritage Books, 2005.


Location of Originals

Virginia Historical Society (Accessions 2007.0132 and 2007.0150); Clerk of Circuit Court, Loudoun County (Accession 2007.0141)

Technical Requirements

None

Bibliography

Arch Inform, http://eng.archinform.net/arch/28422.htm

Hough, Orville. Hough in Loudoun County, Virginia, 1744-1850: An Unfinished History. Denver, 1974.

James Goode Photograph Collection (VC 0010), Thomas Balch Library, Leesburg, VA

John Campbell, Earl of Loudoun Bookplate (SC 0017), Thomas Balch Library, Leesburg, VA

The James Goode Papers, The Gelman Library, The George Washington University, http://www.aladin.wrlc.org/gsdl/collect/faids/import/MS0670.shtml.

Williams, Harrison. Legends of Loudoun: An Account of the History and Homes of a Border County of Virginia's Northern Neck. Richmond: Garrett and Massie, 1938.

Poland, Charles Preston. From Frontier to Suburbia: Loudoun County, Virginia: One of America's Fastest Growing Counties. Westminster, Md.: Heritage Books, 2005.


Contents List

Box 1:
  • Folder 1: Sketch of St. James Episcopal Church, 1892
  • Folder 2: Portrait of John Campbell, Fourth Earl of Loudoun, n.d.
  • Folder 3: Reproductions of the Hough Map, 1759
  • Folder 4: Photographs of Camp Ordway, 1899