A Guide to the Historical Postcards, 1900-1980 Historical Postcards VC 0004

A Guide to the Historical Postcards, 1900-1980

A Collection in the
Thomas Balch Library
Collection Number VC 0004


[logo]

Thomas Balch Library

Thomas Balch Library
208 West Market Street
Leesburg, Virginia 20176
USA
Phone: (703) 737-7195
Fax: (703) 737-7195
Email: balchlib@leesburgva.gov
URL: http://www.leesburgva.gov/government/departments/thomas-balch-library/

© 2006 By Thomas Balch Library. All rights reserved.

Processed by: Emily E. Holmes

Repository
Thomas Balch Library
Collection number
VC 0004
Title
Historical Postcards 1900-1980
Extent
.15 cu. ft.
Collector
Thomas Balch Library
Language
English
Abstract
The primary subject matter of the postcards is scenes from around Loudoun County, although there are images from surrounding Virginia counties and several cards related to Harpers Ferry, West Virginia. Buildings, images of nature, and well-known streets figure prominently. Leesburg is the location most covered, including many images of Market Street, King Street, and the Loudoun County Courthouse.

Administrative Information

Access Restrictions

Collection open for research.

Use Restrictions

No physical characteristics affect use of this material.

Preferred Citation

Historical Postcards, 1900-1980 (VC 004), Thomas Balch Library, Leesburg, VA.

Acquisition Information

Ethel Littlejohn Adams, Leesburg, VA; Emory Plaster, Leesburg, VA; unknown.

Alternative Form Available

Digital reproductions

Accruals

1988.0001, 1991.0002, 1995.0039X, 2013.0098, 2013.0169

Processing Information

Processed by Emily E. Holmes, 27 July 2007.


Historical Information

Postcards developed out of the complex tradition of nineteenth-century printed calling cards, beginning with the advent of the Cartes-de-Visite in France. In the 1850s, Parisian photographer Andre Adolphe Eugene Disderi invented a photographic process involving egg white, albumen, and silver nitrate to create inexpensive portraits on paper cards. These photographic Cartes-de-Visites were 2 1/2 by 4 inches and became a popular, collectable form of "visiting cards" world-wide. Photographers would reprint portraits of famous individuals they had taken at their studios or during travel and sell them as collectable cards. Public figures such as European royalty, military generals, doctors, and businessmen would pose for Cartes-de-Visite portraits that were used as trading cards, business cards, and advertisements. During the American Civil War such cards were taxed, with revenue stamps affixed to the back.

Postcards as we know them now first began in 1861 as cards mailed by private post, invented by American John P. Charlton of Philadelphia with the patent later transferred to Philadelphian H. L. Lipman. Prussian postman Heinrich von Stephan advocated government-issued postcards in 1865. In 1869 the first government-created postal cards were printed in Hungary and the first cards for private post were printed in Austria. In the 1870s picture postcards grew in popularity throughout the United States, Britain, Europe, and Japan. China created regulations for postcards in 1896 and began printing them in 1898.

In 1873 the United States Government began to issue the only postal cards legal in the U.S., of plain card stock with no artistic design on the front. On 19 May 1898, Congress passed the Private Mailing Act, which allowed the mailing of privately printed post cards marked "Private Mailing Card." Only this designation, the address, and the stamp were permitted on the back; any message had to be written over the artwork which publishers printed on the front of the card. The Act also reduced the postage rate for the cards from the two cent letter rate to one cent. Beginning on 24 December 1901, relaxed regulations authorized private printers in the United States to drop "Private Mailing Card" in favor of "Post Card" or "Postcard."

During the "Undivided Back" period printers began to leave white space on the front of the card where the sender could write a message without spoiling the artwork (see VC 0004_3000). Cards were first permitted to have a "Divided Back," with text written on the left half of a dividing line and the address on the right half, beginning in England in 1902. France switched to a divided back in 1904, Germany in 1905, and the United States on 1 March 1907 (VC 0004_3025).

Around 1900 the first postcards made of "Real Photos" rather than artwork began to circulate, aided in by advances in amateur photography equipment by companies such as Kodak. Kodak also introduced postcard paper for photographic development and photography studios began to offer portraits printed as postcards (see VC 0004_2504). Many local town, countryside, and architectural images were captured during this period by local photographers, then printed and sold as postcards (see VC 0004_1708).

The loosening of government regulation, lowered costs, and advances in amateur photography all contributed to a postcard craze that lasted from 1900 to the First World War. Postcards were the preferred means to send a quick note, whether across town or across a continent. U.S. postal records for fiscal year 1907-1908 indicate over 677 million postcards mailed.

German printers' fine artwork and superior processes allowed Germany to dominate the market until the outbreak of war in 1914 (see VC 0004_3017). European printers opened offices in the United States and postcard artists moved to Germany. When war halted the flow of high-quality German cards, English and American producers attempted to fill market demand. Their processes, however, resulted in cards of inferior quality. From the War to 1930 cards were printed with a white border around the edge to bring down high printing costs by saving ink (see VC 0004_3038). Lower quality contributed to the demise of postcard mania.

Although new linen paper processes in the 1930s resulted in better quality, more brightly colored card art (see VC 0004_3037), the postcard industry continued to decline. After 1939, new Photochromes, color photo postcards, began to replace both linen and black and white photo postcards (see VC 0004_0200). By the end of World War II these "Chromes" had completely replaced other card forms. The widely available telephone replaced the postcard for sending short messages and postcards became largely confined to the realm of souvenirs (see VC 0004_0600). Though postcards continue to be produced, they would never regain the enormous popularity of the early twentieth century.

Scope and Content

The majority of the approximately 170 postcards in the collection fall between 1901 and World War I and are Undivided Back or early Divided Back cards. The bulk of the remaining postcards fall between World War I and the end of World War II, including several examples of linen paper cards. The remaining postcards are Photochrome cards from the 1970s or 80s.

The primary subject matter of the postcards is scenes from around Loudoun County, although there are images from surrounding Virginia counties and several cards related to Harpers Ferry, West Virginia. Buildings, images of nature, and well-known streets figure prominently. Leesburg is the location most covered, including many images of Market Street, King Street, and the Loudoun County Courthouse.

Arrangement

Geographic

0100 Ashburn 0200 Ashby's Gap 0300 Berryville 0400 Bluemont 0500 Charles Town, WV 0600 Dulles 0700 Elvan 0800 Georgetown 0900 Hamilton 1000 Harpers Ferry, WV 1100 Hillsboro 1200 Lexington 1300 Lincoln 1400 Luray 1500 Natural Bridge 1600 Paeonian Springs 1700 Purcellville 1800 Red Hill 1900 Round Hill 2000 Ryan 2100 Shenandoah Valley & National Park 2200 Staunton 2300 Waterford 2400 Historic memorabilia 2500 Portraits 2600 Lucketts 2700 Middleburg 3000 Leesburg

Adjunct Descriptive Data

Bibliography

American Postcard Art.Com Inc.: About Postcards by Phil Neigh.

Emotions Greeting Cards/VH Productions: The History of Postcards by Vivian Krug, 2003. http://www.emotionscards.com/museum/historyofpostcards.htm (accessed 1 Aug 2007)

Hemsath, DiAnna. Postcards: Penn College Girls. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Archives, 2006. http://www.archives.upenn.edu/memorabilia/postcards/collegegirls.html (accessed 1 August 2007)

Lisa's Postcard Page: A Brief History of Postcard Types by Stefano Neis. http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Meadows/2487/pchistory.htm (accessed 1 August 2007)

Postcards as Face to Face: A Brief History of the Postcard by Chien-chun Tsao, 1998. http://www.post-card.net/history.html (accessed 1 August 2007)


Other Finding Aid

None


Other Finding Aid

None


Bibliography

American Postcard Art.Com Inc.: About Postcards by Phil Neigh.

Emotions Greeting Cards/VH Productions: The History of Postcards by Vivian Krug, 2003. http://www.emotionscards.com/museum/historyofpostcards.htm (accessed 1 Aug 2007)

Hemsath, DiAnna. Postcards: Penn College Girls. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Archives, 2006. http://www.archives.upenn.edu/memorabilia/postcards/collegegirls.html (accessed 1 August 2007)

Lisa's Postcard Page: A Brief History of Postcard Types by Stefano Neis. http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Meadows/2487/pchistory.htm (accessed 1 August 2007)

Postcards as Face to Face: A Brief History of the Postcard by Chien-chun Tsao, 1998. http://www.post-card.net/history.html (accessed 1 August 2007)


Contents List

Box 1: Historical Postcards
  • Item 0004_0100: School House, Ashburn, VA, 1900 D
  • Item 0004_0200: View from Ashby's Gap, 1980 C
  • Item 0004_0300: Abbey Guesthouse, 1980
  • Item 0004_0301: Air View Holy Cross Abbey, 1980
  • Item 0004_0400: U.S. Weather Bureau, Bluemont, VA [text on front], n.d.
  • Item 0004_0500: John Brown Wagon, 1950 C
  • Item 0004_0600: Washington's Dulles International Airport is an international gateway to this country through Washington, our nation's capital. It is a jet airport of both beauty and efficiency, offering the most modern facilities to all its visitors. 1970 C
  • Item 0004_0700: Mt. Olivet M.E. Church, Elvan, VA [text on front], 1907
  • Item 0004_0800: Gen. George Washington's Headquarters, M St between 30th & 31st St NW, DC, 1910 C
  • Item 0004_1000: John Brown's Fort, Harper's Ferry, W. VA, 1910 C
  • Item 0004_1001: John Brown's Monument and War Tablets from B. & O. Station, 1922
  • Item 0004_1002: Looking Towards the Junction of the Potomac and Shenandoah Rivers, 1920 D
  • Item 0004_1003: Harper's Ferry, W. VA, from Loudoun Heights on Main Line--Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, 1920 D
  • Item 0004_1004: Jefferson Rock, Harper's Ferry W. VA. [text on back], 1900
  • Item 0004_1005: The Harper House, Built 1780, by Robert Harper, the Founder of Harpers Ferry, 1900
  • Item 0004_1006: View of the Gap from Hill Top House, 1900
  • Item 0004_1007: Looking Down the Gap from Marist Hill, 1900
  • Item 0004_1200: Gen. Robert E. Lee on "Traveler." Gen. E. Lee on Traveler was taken by Miley of Lexington, Va. At Washington & Lee College in 1869. Lee was born Jan. 19, 1807 and died Oct. 12, 1870, age 63 years, 8 months, 23 days. 1920 C
  • Item 0004_1300: High School Building, Lincoln, VA, 1910 C
  • Item 0004_1301: Lincoln High School, 1930 C
  • Item 0004_1302: The former Lyceum Hall, lincoln, Loudoun County, Virginia. Built in 1874, this building now houses A.M. Janney & Son - the finest store in town. 1980 C
  • Item 0004_1400: The Road to Stony Man Mountain Shenandoah National Park. THE MIMSLYN, Hotel of Distinction near Shenandoah National Park and Beautiful Caverns Luray, Virginia, 1915 C
  • Item 0004_1500: Natural Bridge Hotel, Natural Bridge, VA, 1920 C
  • Item 0004_1501: Fan Tail Falls, Southwest Virginia [Poem: "In Old Virginia"], 1920 C
  • Item 0004_1600: Paeonian Springs, Virginia. The Paeonian Springs Academy held classes from 1903 until 1930. Begun by John Simpson as a private school, it joined the public school system in 1910. The building, located along Rte. 9, is now a private residence. 1930 C
  • Item 0004_1601: Paeonian Springs, Virginia. In the early 1900s, the Paeonian Springs Depot bustled with activity as the Washington and Old Dominion Railroad provided train service to this quaint resort village. 1900 C
  • Item 0004_1602: Paeonian Springs, Virginia
  • Item 0004_1700: Purcellville, VA [copy of postcard of downtown Purcellville, c. 1909], 1900 C
  • Item 0004_1701: [Buggies, woman, and power lines in front of J T Cornwell Groceries & Meats & Purcellville Pharmacy], 1900 C
  • Item 0004_1702: Main Street. Residential Section, Purcellville, VA [copy of postcard], 1900 C
  • Item 0004_1703: The Auditorium, Purcellville, VA, 1907
  • Item 0004_1704: Bank Block - Purcellville VA, 1911
  • Item 0004_1705: Bushmeeting, Purcellville, VA, 1900 C
  • Item 0004_1706: Public Library Purcellville VA, 1930 C
  • Item 0004_1707: School Fair Parade, Purcellville, VA, 1915 C
  • Item 0004_1708: School Fair Parade, Purcellville, VA, 1915
  • Item 0004_1800: Home of Patrick Henry, 1920 C
  • Item 0004_1900: Loudoun Valley, Round Hill, VA, 1910 C
  • Item 0004_1901: Lovers' Retreat At Bear's Den, Near Round Hill, VA, 1920 C
  • Item 0004_1902: The Village Brook Round Hill, VA, 1910 C
  • Item 0004_1903: Will Be Looking For You At Round Hill Station. 1910 C
  • Item 0004_2000: Greetings from RYAN, VA [man and wagon in hay field], 1920
  • Item 0004_2001: Greetings from RYAN, VA [cows in field], 1920
  • Item 0004_2100: Apple Blossom Time in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, 1920 C
  • Item 0004_2101: Panoramic View, from Buck Hollow Overlook. Shenandoah National Park, Virginia, 1970 C
  • Item 0004_2200: Birthplace of Woodrow Wilson, Staunton, VA. Woodrow Wilson, son of Rev. Joseph R. Wilson, Staunton Presbyterian minister, was born in Staunton Dec. 8, 1856, at the Presbyterian mass. World War President 1912 to 1920. 1920 C
  • Item 0004_2201: Barracks, Augusta Military Academy, Fort Defiance, Near Staunton, VA, 1920 C
  • Item 0004_2300: Fairfax Meeting House Farm Waterford, Virginia, 1960 C
  • Item 0004_2301: Friends Meeting House, Waterford, VA. Built 1775. 1906 C
  • Item 0004_2302: Lower Main Street, Waterford, VA, 1907
  • Item 0004_2303: The Old Mill-- Waterford, VA near Leesburg, Virginia, 1950 C
  • Item 0004_2304: An Old Street In Waterford, VA, 1911
  • Item 0004_2305: Main Street, Waterford, VA, 1950 C
  • Item 0004_2306: [Post Office, Waterford, VA], 1988
  • Item 0004_2307: [Country Store, Waterford, VA], 1974 C
  • Item 0004_2308: Waterford Mill, Waterford, VA
  • Item 0004_2400: Washington The Father of his Country [Washington with leaves & cherries], 1910 C
  • Item 0004_2401: Washington The Father of his Country [Washington portrait with flag], 1910 C
  • Item 0004_2402: Washington The Father of his Country [Washington portrait], 1910 C
  • Item 0004_2403: Washington Febr. 22d 1732 Dec. 14th 1799 [Washington portrait], 1910 C
  • Item 0004_2404: Flags of the Confederacy "And twill live in song and story, Though its folds are in the dust" [information about flags on lower face], 1930 C
  • Item 0004_2405: John Campbell, 4th Earl of Loudoun
  • Item 0004_2406: "The World Must Be Made Safe for Democracy . . ."
  • Item 0004_2407: The Nations Choice
  • Item 0004_2409: Our Choice
  • Item 0004_2410: Children's Carmival on Million Dollar Pier, Atlantic City, NJ
  • Item 0004_2500: Lucy Wering McCabe. Age 5 years. 1900 C
  • Item 0004_2501: [Catherine Newman], 1910 C
  • Item 0004_2502: [Mary Kate Beamer], 1910 C
  • Item 0004_2503: [Reardon Children Portrait], 1900 C
  • Item 0004_2504: [Unknown man portrait], 1900 C
  • Item 0004_2505: [Unknown man and woman portrait], 1917 C
  • Item 0004_2506: Samuel M. Niell
  • Item 0004_2600: Lucketts Community Center
  • Item 0004_2700: Foxhunting in Virginia
  • Item 0004_3000: A Few of the "Old Timers" Still Living at Leesburg, VA, 1903
  • Item 0004_3001: Loudoun Camp Meeting-- At Home, 1907
  • Item 0004_3002: "Carlheim" Leesburg, VA, 1900
  • Item 0004_3003: "Carlheim," Residence of Mrs. R.A. Paxton, Leesburg, VA, 1910
  • Item 0004_3004: County Clerk's Office Building, Leesburg, VA, 1930 C
  • Item 0004_3005: Loudoun County Clerk's Office, Leesburg, VA, 1940 C
  • Item 0004_3006: Old Court House where President James Monroe presided as Justice, Leesburg, VA, 1900 C
  • Item 0004_3007: Old Court House where President James Monroe presided as Justice, Leesburg, VA, 1910 C
  • Item 0004_3008: Court House of Loudoun County, 1900 C
  • Item 0004_3009: Court House, Leesburg, VA, 1906
  • Item 0004_3010: The Children who unveiled the Confederate Monument at Leesburg, VA, May 28, 1908. 1908
  • Item 0004_3011: Confederate Monument, Leesburg, VA, 1908
  • Item 0004_3012: Confederate Monument, Leesburg, VA, 1908
  • Item 0004_3013: Confederate Monument, Leesburg, VA, 1920 C
  • Item 0004_3014: Court House and Confederate Monument. Leesburg, VA, 1909 C
  • Item 0004_3015: Confederate Monument--Erected to the Confederate dead of Loudoun Co. Unveiled May 28th, 1908, 1909 C
  • Item 0004_3016: Court House and Clerk's Office of Loudoun County, Leesburg, VA, 1914
  • Item 0004_3017: Court House and Market St., Leesburg, VA, 1910 C
  • Item 0004_3018: Loudoun County Court House and Confederate Monument Leesburg, VA, 1920 C
  • Item 0004_3019: Loudoun County Court House Leesburg, Virginia, 1930 C
  • Item 0004_3020: "Belmont" Built in 1800 by Ludwell Lee Residence of Hon. Patrick J. Hurley, Former Secretary of War Near Leesburg, Virginia, 1938
  • Item 0004_3021: "BELMONT", Near Leesburg, VA. Residence of the Hon. Patrick J. Hurley, Former Secretary of War. This Mansion Was Built in 1800 by Ludwell Lee, Son of Richard Henry Lee, Signer of the Declaration of Independence. 1938
  • Item 0004_3022: "BELMONT", Near Leesburg, VA. Residence of the Hon. Patrick J Hurley, Former Secretary of War. This Mansion was Built in 1800 by Ludwell Lee, Son of Richard Henry Lee, Signer of the Declaration of Independence. 1955
  • Item 0004_3023: "Belmont" near Leesburg, VA. Residence of George C. Clarke, Hotel Owner and Lawyer, Washington, D.C. This Mansion was built in 1800 by Ludwell Lee, Son of Richard Henry Lee, Signer of the Declaration of Independence. 1950 C
  • Item 0004_3024: Dodona Manor - Home of General & Mrs. George C. Marshall - Leesburg, Virginia, n.d.
  • Item 0004_3025: [Text on front: "Residence of G W Hevener Leesburg, VA"], 1908
  • Item 0004_3026: John Champ's House, During the Revolution, 1776. Leesburg, VA, 1900 C
  • Item 0004_3027: Leesburg High School, 1905
  • Item 0004_3028: High School Building, Leesburg, VA, 1910 C
  • Item 0004_3029: Leesburg High School Leesburg, VA, 1930 C
  • Item 0004_3030: Leesburg High School Leesburg, VA, 1930 C
  • Item 0004_3031: High School Leesburg, VA, 1910 C
  • Item 0004_3032: Leesburg High School, Leesburg, VA, 1920 C
  • Item 0004_3033: Leesburg Inn, 1905 C
  • Item 0004_3034: The Inn Leesburg, VA, 1910 C
  • Item 0004_3035: Leesburg Inn and Confederate Monument, 1930 C
  • Item 0004_3036: Leesburg Inn Leesburg, Virginia. Located on Routes 7 and 15. 37 Scenic Miles from Washington, D. C. Very Reasonable Rates Fine Southern-cooked Food S. W. Keesee, Owner. 1930 C
  • Item 0004_3037: The Inn Leesburg, Virginia Located on Routes 7 and 15. 37 Scenic Miles from Washington, D.C. Very Reasonable Rates Fine Southern-cooked Food S. W. Keesee, Owner. 1940 C
  • Item 0004_3038: Loudoun Hospital and Nurses Home, Leesburg, VA, 1920 C
  • Item 0004_3039: Loudoun County Hospital Leesburg, VA, 1930 C
  • Item 0004_3040: Morven Park, Home of ex-Governor Westmoreland Davis, Leesburg, VA, n.d.
  • Item 0004_3041: Morven Park Estates, Home of Ex-Governor Westmoreland Davis Leesburg, VA, n.d.
  • Item 0004_3042: Old Log House, Leesburg, VA, 1900 C
  • Item 0004_3043: Old Methodist Church, Leesburg, VA, 1900 C
  • Item 0004_3044: Old Methodist Church, Leesburg, VA, 1900 C
  • Item 0004_3045: Old Stone Church Built In 1785. The First Conference of the Methodist Church in Virginia was held in this old building at Leesburg, VA. 1900 C
  • Item 0004_3046: Old Stone Church, The first Conference of the Methodist Church in America was held in this old building in Leesburg, VA. Built in 1785. 1900 C
  • Item 0004_3047: The Old Stone Church Where The First Methodist Conference Held In America Assembled. 1905 C
  • Item 0004_3048: M.E. Church South, 1905 C
  • Item 0004_3049: U.S. Post Office, Leesburg, VA, 1940 C
  • Item 0004_3050: Post Office Leesburg, VA, 1952
  • Item 0004_3051: R. R. Depot, Leesburg, VA, 1912
  • Item 0004_3052: Entrance from Railroad Station, Leesburg, VA, 1907
  • Item 0004_3053: Presbyterian Church. Built in 1804 Leesburg, VA. 1930 C
  • Item 0004_3054: St. James Episcopal Church Leesburg, VA, 1930 C
  • Item 0004_3055: Leesburg, VA. St. James Episcopal Church, 1905 C
  • Item 0004_3056: St. James' Church Leesburg, VA, 1907
  • Item 0004_3057: Interior View of Old St. James Church As It Appeared, Christmas 1895. 1895
  • Item 0004_3058: "Selma" Home of Co. E. B. White Leesburg, VA, 1910 C
  • Item 0004_3059: Springwood Home of Mr. S. S. Lutz. Waverly Home of Mr. Robt. T. Hempstone, 1900 C
  • Item 0004_3060: Thomas Balch Library Leesburg, Virginia, 1930 C
  • Item 0004_3061: The Wildman Co., Dry Goods Store, Leesburg, VA. Established 1847. 1906
  • Item 0004_3062: Central View in Leesburg, 1966
  • Item 0004_3063: King Street, Leesburg, VA, 1910 C
  • Item 0004_3064: King Street, Leesburg, VA, 1907
  • Item 0004_3065: Winter Scene, King St. Leesburg, VA, 1910 C
  • Item 0004_3066: King Street. Leesburg, VA, 1907 C
  • Item 0004_3067: King Street looking South from Market Street, Leesburg, VA, 1925 C
  • Item 0004_3068: King Street, Leesburg, VA, 1925 C
  • Item 0004_3069: King Street Leesburg, VA, 1925 C
  • Item 0004_3070: North King Street, Leesburg, VA, 1907
  • Item 0004_3071: King Street, North from Market Street Leesburg, VA, 1930 C
  • Item 0004_3072: South King Street. Leesburg, VA, 1900 C
  • Item 0004_3073: Looking North on South King Street, Leesburg, VA, 1900 C
  • Item 0004_3074: Thompson-Plaster X Ray Co., King and Loudoun Streets Leesburg, VA, 1926 C
  • Item 0004_3075: Thompson-Plaster X Ray Co., King and Loudoun Streets Leesburg, VA], 1926
  • Item 0004_3076: Lafayette's Headquarters, Leesburg, VA, 1905 C
  • Item 0004_3077: Washington's Headquarters, Loudoun Street Leesburg, VA, 1929
  • Item 0004_3078: Washington's Headquarters, Leesburg 1930 C
  • Item 0004_3079: The Worsley and Alexander Houses on Loudoun Street. Leesburg, VA. Where Washington was entertained, also Lafayette on his return visit August 9th, 1825. 1930 C
  • Item 0004_3080: Loudoun Street, showing Stone House at left in which Washington was entertained during Revolution, also where Lafayette was welcomed August 9, 1825, Leesburg, VA, 1933
  • Item 0004_3081: The Home where Gen. Lafayette was entertained during his visit to Leesburg, VA, 1940 C
  • Item 0004_3082: Market Street, Leesburg, VA, 1905 C
  • Item 0004_3083: Parting of the Ways 1905 C
  • Item 0004_3084: East Market and Fayette Streets, Leesburg, VA, 1910
  • Item 0004_3085: Parting of the Ways, East Market and Fayette Streets. Leesburg, VA, 1920 C
  • Item 0004_3086: Parting of the Ways. Western approaches to Leesburg, VA, 1910 C
  • Item 0004_3087: House in which Wm Wirt once lived on Wirt St., Leesburg, VA, 1910 C
  • Item 0004_3088: West view, from water tower, Leesburg, VA, 1920 C
  • Item 0004_3089: Greetings from Leesburg, VA [gravel road through trees with car], 1920 C
  • Item 0004_3090: Greetings from Leesburg, VA [cows in field], 1920 C
  • Item 0004_3091: Ball's Bluff Battlefield Leesburg, VA, 1905 C
  • Item 0004_3092: "Ball's Bluff" over which U.S. Troops fled from the battle of the same name Oct. 21st 1862. 1910
  • Item 0004_3093: National Cemetery and part of Ball's Battlefield, Leesburg, VA, 1920 C
  • Item 0004_3094: National Cemetery on Battlefield, Ball's Bluff, near Leesburg, VA, 1910 C
  • Item 0004_3095: Balls Bluff Cemetery is located on Rt. 15 two miles north of Leesburg, Virginia. It is the site of the only major battle of the Civil War in Loudoun County and one of the smallest National cemeteries. 1980 C
  • Item 0004_3096: Big Spring, Leesburg, VA, 1907
  • Item 0004_3097: Big Spring near Leesburg, VA, 1920 C
  • Item 0004_3098: Big Spring near Leesburg, VA, 1907
  • Item 0004_3099: Big Spring near Leesburg, VA, 1910 C
  • Item 0004_3100: Blue Ridge Mountains near Leesburg, VA, 1950 C
  • Item 0004_3101: Goose Creek Bridge on Washington Turnpike Leesburg, VA, 1950 C
  • Item 0004_3102: Goose Creek Bridge on Washington Turnpike Leesburg, VA, 1950 C
  • Item 0004_3103: Goose Creek Dam. Leesburg, VA, 1926
  • Item 0004_3104: Looking across the Potomac at White's Ferry, Leesburg, VA, 1920 C
  • Item 0004_3105: Potomac River at White's Ferry Leesburg, VA, 1950 C
  • Item 0004_3106: Potomac River at White's Ferry Leesburg, VA, 1950 C
  • Item 0004_3107: Tuscarora bridge, Leesburg, VA, 1910 C
  • Item 0004_3108: R.V. Brundage - Rental - Contract - 3/4 yd. Shovel - Crane - Clam - Backhoe Phone 99 Leesburg, VA, 1960 C
  • Item 0004_3109: Loudoun Museum and Log Cabin, n.d.
  • Item 0004_3110: Oatlands, n.d.
  • Item 0004_3111: White's Ferry, n.d.
  • Item 0004_3112: Town Hall and Parking Structure, Leesburg, VA, n.d.
  • Item 0004_3113: Col. John Singleton Mosby, n.d.
  • Item 0004_3114: Thomas Balch Library, shortly after completion, c. 1922
  • Item 0004_3115: Thomas Balch Library, photo courtesy of Jim Hanna Photography, n.d.
  • Item 0004_3117: Winter comes to the Xerox International Center for Training and Management Development, 35 miles northwest of Washington D.C., near Leesburg, Virginia. n.d.
  • Item 0004_3118: Confederate Monument, n.d.
  • Item 0004_3119: King of the Western Punchers, n.d.
  • Item 0004_3120: Thompson-Plaster X Ray Co., King and Loudoun Streets, Leesburg, VA, n.d.
  • Item 0004_3121: "BELMONT", Near Leesburg, VA, n.d.
  • Item 0004_3122: Thomas Balch Library, Leesburg, VA, n.d.
  • Item 0004_4000: Aldie Mill