A Guide to the Ann Thomas Research Papers, 1836-2005 Ann Thomas Research Papers M 030

A Guide to the Ann Thomas Research Papers, 1836-2005

A Collection in the
Thomas Balch Library
Collection Number M 030


[logo]

Thomas Balch Library

Thomas Balch Library
208 West Market Street
Leesburg, Virginia 20176
USA
Phone: (703) 737-7195
Fax: (703) 737-7195
Email: balchlib@leesburgva.gov
URL: http://www.leesburgva.gov/government/departments/thomas-balch-library/

© 2006 By Thomas Balch Library. All rights reserved.

Processed by: D. Nichole Recker

Repository
Thomas Balch Library
Collection number
M 030
Title
Ann Thomas Research Papers 1836-2005
Extent
1.33 cu. ft.
Collector
Ann Thomas
Language
English
Abstract
This collection consists of maps, surveys, census records, real estate notices, advertisements, interviews, personal histories, family records, photographs, legal reports, proposed development plans and town responses, petitions, school statistics, marriage registers, church bulletins, obituaries, and newspaper articles primarily relating to the history of Round Hill but also including Lincoln, Purcellville, Bluemont, Woodgrove, and Hamilton.

Administrative Information

Access Restrictions

Collection open to research.

Use Restrictions

No physical characteristics affect use of this material.

Preferred Citation

Ann Thomas Research Papers (M 030), Thomas Balch Library, Leesburg, VA.

Acquisition Information

Ann Whitehead Thomas, VA

Alternative Form Available

None

Accruals

2007.0017, 2007.0056

Processing Information

Processed by D. Nichole Recker, 22 February 2007.

Published and unpublished manuscripts included in the collection are listed according to folder number following container list.


Biographical Information

A native Virginian, Ann Whitehead Thomas became a resident of Round Hill in 1968, soon after her 1961 marriage to H. Rogers Thomas (11 Oct 1911-28 Feb 2001). Mrs. Thomas had close connections to Upper Loudoun preceding her move to Round Hill; Snickersville and Snickersville Gap were named after her relative Edward Snickers. Mrs. Thomas graduated from Mary Baldwin College, Staunton. She served on the first Thomas Balch Library Advisory Board and on a committee for Winchester Handley Library. In 1998 she received a Loudoun History Award for her work in preserving Loudoun County's heritage. Although Mrs. Thomas has been involved in genealogical and local history for over thirty years, in the early 1990s she began systematically collecting information for the book she intended to write, which she completed in 2004.

A Story of Round Hill, published from the findings of this collection, traces Round Hill from early America's first land grants to today's development landscape. This book chronicles in detail changes in the town's residents, businesses, government, houses, and customs; a product of the research contained in these folders.

Mrs. Thomas is the daughter of Robert Whitehead (21 Sep 1897-8 Jun 1960) and Sallie Carter Whitehead (22 Jul 1905-Oct 1984), mother of Elizabeth Thomas Wallace, and grandmother to John Thomas Wallace, Sarah Elizabeth Wallace, and Robert David Wallace.

Scope and Content

This collection consists of maps, surveys, census records, real estate notices, advertisements, interviews, personal histories, family records, photographs, legal reports, proposed development plans and town responses, petitions, school statistics, marriage registers, church bulletins, obituaries, and newspaper articles primarily relating to the history of Round Hill but also including Lincoln, Purcellville, Bluemont, Woodgrove, and Hamilton. Newspaper clippings written by reporters, historians, and individuals comprise the majority of contents. Inclusive dates for collection are 1836-2005, with bulk of the materials dating from 1952-1999. Many of the older (pre-1940) research materials are photocopies of the original documents, some of which can be accessed in original form at Thomas Balch Library, as noted.

Quaker migration patterns folder for the 1995 Loudoun Genealogy Club seminar was removed and processed separately as SC 0018.

The folders are organized topically and are internally chronological. Undated materials are placed last in folder. Oversized manuscript locations are noted in respective folders.

Related Material

A Story of Round Hill, REF 975.528 THO; Round Hill Town Minutes Abstracts, SC0013, Thomas Balch Library, Leesburg, VA.

Separated Material


Adjunct Descriptive Data

Bibliography

Thomas, Ann W. A Story of Round Hill. Leesburg, VA: The Friends of the Thomas Balch Library, 2004.

Other Finding Aid

None


Other Finding Aid

None


Bibliography

Thomas, Ann W. A Story of Round Hill. Leesburg, VA: The Friends of the Thomas Balch Library, 2004.

Contents List

Box: 1
  • Folder 1: Bluemont
    Biography of Isaiah Balderston Beans (1791-1883), First Ledger #A of the General Store (1816-1818), and Record of Repair for Woodgrove Methodist Church (1850-1853) by Ann Whitehead Thomas, 1996.
    Southern Railway Guide, published by W. F. Roberts, Bluemont, Virginia, 1900.
    The Loudoun Select School for Young Ladies Faculty Testimonials Booklet, Bluemont Virginia, 1911.
    The Loudoun Select School for Young Ladies Register for 1911-1912, Bluemont, Virginia. Published by Monfort & Co., Cincinnati, Ohio.
  • Folder 2: Hamilton
    Notes on Hamilton and Vicinity, excerpts from printed letters by Richard Ruse, 1905.
    Excerpts from Diary of Jennie Bitzer, Locust Grove, Loudoun County, Virginia 1873-1883, Ann Whitehead Thomas, 1997.
  • Folder 3: Hillsboro
  • Folder 4: Lincoln
  • Folder 5: Purcellville 1873-1977
    History of Loudoun by Anne C. Burton part I, IV-V.
    Purcellville: A Brief History of the town, schools, library, etc. Assembled by Geraldine P. James, 1959.
    The Story of Purcellville, Loudoun County, Virginia by Eugene M. Scheel, 1977 (V REF975.528 SCH).
  • Folder 6: Purcellville 1978-2004
  • Folder 7: Woodgrove
    Published Address to Woodgrove Ketoctin Church congregation by F. H. James on the 5th Sunday in November, 1906.
    Woodgrove Schoolhouse , by Elizabeth Morgan, Bluemont, Virginia, sponsored by Virginia Conservation Commission, 1936.
    Marriage Register of Rev. Traverse D. Herndon 1840-1854, copied by Ann W. Thomas presented to Genealogical Records Committee, 1984.
  • Folder 8: Round Hill Arts and Festivals
  • Folder 9: Round Hill Banks
  • Folder 10: Round Hill Businesses
  • Folder 11: Round Hill Churches
    Our Heritage: Round Hill Baptist Church Organized 1906, by Ivan E. Clark, 1981 (V REF 286.1775.CLA).
  • Folder 12: Round Hill Development
  • Folder 13: Round Hill Government
  • Folder 14: Round Hill History 1875-1992
    Peggy O'Neal and President Jackson , by J. E. Copeland, 1926.
    Round Hill History , by Elizabeth Gibney, Oatlands, VA, 1969.
    Prepared for a Walking Tour of Round Hill , by Ann W. Thomas,1990.
    Memories of Round Hill and Woodgrove , by Sheila Funkhouser, 1992.
  • Folder 15: Round Hill History 1993-2005
Box: 2
  • Folder 1: Round Hill (and area) Houses
  • Folder 2: Round Hill Maps and Surveys
  • Folder 3: Round Hill People
    "James E. Copeland: A Country Doctor in an Age of Medical Change" by Todd L. Savitt, Virginia Cavalcade , vol. XXIII, no. I, 1973.
  • Folder 4: Round Hill Photographs
  • Folder 5: Round Hill Post Office
  • Folder 6: Round Hill Quarterly
  • Folder 7: Round Hill Railroad and Firehouse
  • Folder 8: Round Hill Roads
  • Folder 9: Round Hill Schools
    Round Hill Schools: 1730-1993, by Nora Drury, 1993.
OMB 1
  • Folder 1: Lincoln/Purcellville
  • Folder 2: Woodgrove/Round Hill Arts and Festivals
  • Folder 3: Round Hill Banks/Businesses/Churches
  • Folder 4: Round Hill Development/Government/Houses
  • Folder 5: Round Hill History
  • Folder 6: Round Hill Maps and Surveys
  • Folder 7: Round Hill Photographs/Railroads/School