A Guide to the Alexandria, Loudoun & Hampshire Railroad Account Book, Guilford, VA, 1860-1868 Alexandria, Loudoun & Hampshire Railroad Account Book, Guilford, VA M0002

A Guide to the Alexandria, Loudoun & Hampshire Railroad Account Book, Guilford, VA, 1860-1868

A Collection in the
Thomas Balch Library
Collection Number M0002


[logo]

Thomas Balch Library

Thomas Balch Library
208 West Market Street
Leesburg, Virginia 20176
USA
Phone: (703) 737-7195
Fax: (703) 737-7195
Email: balchlib@leesburgva.gov
URL: http://www.leesburgva.gov/government/departments/thomas-balch-library/

© 2006 By Thomas Balch Library. All rights reserved.

Processed by: Phyllis Ford

Repository
Thomas Balch Library
Accession number
M0002
Title
Alexandria, Loudoun & Hampshire Railroad Account Book, Guilford, VA 1860-1868 1866-1868
Extent
.33 cubic feet
Creator
Alexandria, Loudoun & Hampshire Railroad
Language
English
Abstract
8" x 12" account book includes accounts detailing freight sent and received and list of ticket sales at the Guilford Railroad Station.

Administrative Information

Access Restrictions

Collection is open to research.

Use Restrictions

Physical characteristics and conditions affect use of this material. Photocopying not permitted.

Preferred Citation

Alexandria, Loudoun & Hampshire Rail Road Account Book, Guilford, VA 1860-1868 (M 002), Thomas Balch Library, Leesburg, VA.

Acquisition Information

Bob Daniels Antiques, Hamilton, VA, 1993

Alternative Form Available

None

Accruals

1993.0001

Processing Information

Processed by Phyllis Ford, 25 June 2004.

Formerly shelved as NUCMC 18.


Historical Information

The Commonwealth of Virginia chartered the Alexandria, Loudoun & Hampshire Railroad (hereinafter AL&HR) on 15 March 1853 and Lewis McKenzie (1810-1895) was its first president. AL&HR was established to provide transportation to the coalfields in upper Potomac via Winchester, VA. Construction commenced in February of1855. Due to financial difficulties, grading from Alexandria to Leesburg took three and a half years and 37.5 miles were completed by summer of 1858. It took another three years before rail service reached Leesburg. Because of continuing financial problems and disruption from the Civil War, tracks did not reach Hamilton until March 1870. AL&HR received their first mail contract from the U. S. Post Office Department with delivery of mail from Alexandria to Leesburg in March of 1861. The contract continued for 90 years with a break during the Civil War.

Robert E. Lee requisitioned two locomotives from the AL&HR in May of 1861. Federal troops took possession of the AL&HR in 1861, holding it until 1865. The railroad was returned to the Virginia Board of Public Works on 8 Aug 1865. The four years and three months that the Federal Army had possession of AL&HR was the longest military control of any southern railroad during the Civil War.

As the major capital stock holder (three-fifths) the Commonwealth of Virginia had to liquidate its holdings in the AL&HR because of financial problems following the war. Lewis McKenzie and a group of investors were able to purchase the Commonwealth's shares in the railroad, and rail service resumed with one round trip a day from Alexandria to Leesburg in 1867. Ongoing financial problems slowed westward construction. In March 1870, AL&HR reached Hamilton and passenger service increased to two round trips daily from Alexandria to Hamilton.

Following repossession of the railway, McKenzie and his group sought to expand their sphere of influence from the coalfields of the upper Potomac to the Ohio River through West Virginia. In 1870 they applied for and received a new charter from West Virginia for the AL&HR, renaming it the Washington & Ohio Railroad.

Scope and Content

This is a leather bound 8" x 12" account book. The collection includes accounts detailing freight sent and received and list of ticket sales at the Guilford Railroad Station. The Alexandria, Loudoun & Hampshire carried freight to and from Guilford Station. Freight included sugar, potatoes, salt, whiskey, barrels of fish, coffee, flour, nails and plaster. The inclusive dates of the book are1860-1868, with bulk dates of 1866-1868.

Loudoun County residents mentioned in the book include: Ann Fairfax, Mary Edwards, Sarah Offutt, Elizabeth Hartwell, Harriet Sadde, Thomas Miskelm, J. W. Fairfax, Armstead M. Taylor, B. J. Saffer, George W. Hummer, Samuel Jenkins, James Whaley, Jr. Guilford; James Whaley, Sr., and Robert Hough.

Related Material

Thomas Balch Vertical Files. Railroads (2 folders); Down by the Station by Train Station History Project, 1991 (V REF 975.528TRA).

Separated Material


Adjunct Descriptive Data

Bibliography

Harwood, Herbert H. Rails to the Blue Ridge: The Washington and Old Dominion Railroad 1847-1968. Fairfax Station: Northern Virginia Regional Park Authority, 2000. Scheel, Eugene M. Loudoun Discovered. Vol. 1, Eastern Loudoun 'Goin' Down County.' Leesburg: Friends of the Thomas Balch Library, 2002.

Other Finding Aid

None


Other Finding Aid

None


Bibliography

Harwood, Herbert H. Rails to the Blue Ridge: The Washington and Old Dominion Railroad 1847-1968. Fairfax Station: Northern Virginia Regional Park Authority, 2000. Scheel, Eugene M. Loudoun Discovered. Vol. 1, Eastern Loudoun 'Goin' Down County.' Leesburg: Friends of the Thomas Balch Library, 2002.

Contents List

Box: 1
  • Folder 1: Account Book, 1860-1868