A Guide to the Papers of Ruth Davis 1926-1978 Ruth Davis, A Guide to the Papers of 2005.11.14

A Guide to the Papers of Ruth Davis 1926-1978

A Collection in
Roanoke Public Libraries
Accession Number 2005.11.14


[logo]

Roanoke Public Libraries

Roanoke Public Libraries
706 South Jefferson Street
Roanoke, Virginia 24016 USA
Phone: (540) 853-2073
Email: virginiaroom@gmail.com
URL: http://www.roanokeva.gov/library

© 2014 By the Roanoke Public Libraries. All rights reserved.

Processed by: Special Collections Staff

Repository
Roanoke Public Libraries
Accession Number
2005.11.14
Title
A Guide to the Papers of Ruth Davis
Physical Characteristics
1 record storage box
Language
English

Administrative Information

Access Restrictions

There are no restrictions.

Use Restrictions

There are no restrictions.

Preferred Citation

Papers of Ruth Davis, Accession #2005.11.14, Roanoke Public Libraries, Roanoke, VA

Acquisition Information

Donor unknown


Biographical Note

Ruth Elizabeth Davis was born on December 8, 1892 in Davis Fancy Groseclose, Virginia. She was the youngest daughter of George W. and Ella Sprinkle Davis and a descendent of James Davis, the first permanent settler in the Smyth County, Virginia community known as Davis Fancy. Ruth Davis was a graduate of the Jefferson Hospital School of Nursing and worked as a registered nurse in Jefferson Hospital and Roanoke Community Hospital until her retirement. She died in Roanoke on August 27, 1978.

Scope and Content

This is a collection of materials related to Ruth Davis’ enrollment in the Jefferson Hospital School of Nursing from which she graduated in 1926. The collection includes five folders that contain items such as newspaper articles about Jefferson Hospital and its founder, Dr. Hugh H. Trout, memorabilia about Florence Nightingale, nursing, and unidentified photographs. The collection also contains Ruth Davis’ Nurses New Testament Bible and her Memory Book that holds many unidentified photographs, most likely of fellow nursing students, doctors, and other hospital staff. Jefferson Hospital, formerly located on Franklin Road, was founded in 1907 by Dr. Hugh H. Trout, Sr., and served Roanoke for 50 years. Originally organized as a proprietary organization, it became a charitable hospital in 1957. A training school for nurses was opened in 1914. 660 nurses graduated from the Jefferson Hospital School of Nursing which eventually merged with the Lewis-Gale Hospital School of Nursing to form the School of Nursing of the CHRV (Community Hospital of Roanoke Valley) in 1965. The hospital and school of nursing were closed for approximately a year during World War I when Dr. Trout went to France to direct an Army Mobile Operating Unit. During this time, the nursing students were sent to Baltimore to continue their studies. In 1967, Jefferson Hospital merged with Lewis-Gale Hospital to form the Community Hospital of Roanoke Valley.

Arrangement

Documents are arranged by topic.

Contents List

Papers of Ruth Davis
Box: 1
  • Folder 1
    Davis, Ruth Elizabeth: poem, statement from Smyth County Public Schools certifying Davis' attendance and obituary 1926-1978
  • Folder 2
    Nightengale, Florence: Booklet entitled, A Little Journey to the Home of Florence Nightengale and copy of Florence Nightengale Pledge undated
  • Folder 3
    Jefferson Hospital demolition news clippings undated
  • Folder 4
    Trout, Hugh H., Founder and President of Jefferson Hospital: obituary and editorial 1950
  • Folder 5
    Photographs of Ruth Davis and Unidentified persons undated
  • Folder 6
    Nurses' New Testament Bible undated
  • Folder 7
    Scrapbook compiled by Ruth Davis undated