The Papers of M. Carl Andrews 1975-1982 M. Carl Andrews, Papers 2013.8.23.

The Papers of M. Carl Andrews 1975-1982

A Collection in
Roanoke Public Libraries
Accession Number 2013.8.23


Roanoke Public Libraries

Roanoke Public Libraries
706 South Jefferson Street
Roanoke, Virginia 24016 USA
Phone: (540) 853-2073

© 2014 By the Roanoke Public Libraries. All rights reserved.

Processed by: Special Collections Staff

Roanoke Public Libraries
Accession Number
The Papers of M. Carl Andrews
Physical Characteristics
1 record storage box

Administrative Information

Access Restrictions

There are no restrictions.

Use Restrictions

There are no restrictions.

Preferred Citation

Papers of M. Carl Andrews, Accession #2013.8.23, Roanoke Public Libraries, Roanoke, VA

Acquisition Information

Donor unknown

Biographical Note

M. Carl Andrews (Oct. 24, 1904 – June 9, 1994), a native of Logan County, Oklahoma, grew up in Newport News and came to Roanoke in 1929 to join the staff of The Roanoke Times. He was a news editor from 1929 until 1935, at which point he was assigned to cover the Franklin County liquor conspiracy trial. He was made city editor of the Times in 1937 and held that post until he left for service in World War II in 1943. Upon his return in 1946, he was named editorial page editor of The World-News, a position he held until his retirement November 1, 1969. Andrews was actively involved in numerous civic and professional organizations, serving as Chairman of the Mill Mountain Development Committee, co-Chair of the committee organizing America’s Bicentennial Celebration, and a founding member of the National Conference of Editorial Writers.

Scope and Content

The Andrews Papers collection consists of seventeen file folders including typescripts, clippings and photocopies of newspaper articles and columns, letters, invitations, event programs, committee reports, and both personal and professional correspondence. The collection includes typed manuscripts of Mr. Andrews’ editorial page columns from the World-News and scripts for “Over the Editor’s Desk” and “M. Carl Andrews Views the News,” two series of news editorials broadcast on WDBJ radio (later WFIR). These scripts span from July 7, 1946 through Mr. Andrews’ final broadcast on December 27, 1970. A significant number of the documents included in the collection relate to the planning, implementation, and media coverage of America’s Bicentennial celebration in 1976 and the City of Roanoke’s Centennial in 1982.


Documents are arranged by subject.

Contents List

Columns on Roanoke Landmarks from the Roanoke World News, 1975-1976. 1975-1976
Folder: 1
Radio scripts of WDBJ/WFIR “Over the Editor’s Desk” and “Andrews Views the News” unknown
Folder: 2
Steve Brody: Roanoke's Great Patriot. 1889-1978
Folder: 3
Andrews' articles on Sir Winston Churchill unknown
Folder: 4
First City Manager of Roanoke William Pierce Hunter unknown
Folder: 5
Arthur S, Owens 1948-1965
Folder: 6
Roanoke Civic Center unknown
Folder: 7
"Common Glory" (Items related to the premier of Paul Green's outdoor drama. 1965
Folder: 8
Conservation series (articles, editorials, addresses) unknown
Folder: 9
Europe and the Mediterranean columns 1967
Folder: 10
Articles, essays, and pamphlets related to the Revolutionary Way history of Fincastle County and Colonel William Fleming. unknown
Folder: 11
First National Exchange Bank, including items related to the 1928 opening of the American Theatre once located on the site. unknown
Folder: 12
BiCentennial 1976-1981
Folder: 13
Roanoke Bicentennial Committee 1972-1975
Folder: 14
Bicentennial News 1776-1976
Folder: 15
Roanoke Diamond Jubilee 1882-1957
Folder: 16
Roanoke Centennial Committee 1976-1981
Folder: 17