A Guide to the Industrial Home School for Wayward Colored Girls records, 1912-1947 (bulk 1912-1920) Industrial Home School for Wayward Colored Girls records, 1912-1947 (bulk 1912-1920) 51871

A Guide to the Industrial Home School for Wayward Colored Girls records, 1912-1947 (bulk 1912-1920)

A Collection in
the Library of Virginia
Accession Numbers 51528


[logo]

Library of Virginia

The Library of Virginia
800 East Broad Street
Richmond, Virginia 23219-8000
USA
Phone: (804) 692-3888 (Archives Reference)
Fax: (804) 692-3556 (Archives Reference)
Email: archdesk@lva.virginia.gov(Archives)
URL: http://www.lva.virginia.gov/

© 2016 By The Library of Virginia. All Rights Reserved.

Processed by: Paige Neal

Repository
The Library of Virginia
Accession Number
51528
Title
Industrial Home School for Wayward Colored Girls records, 1912-1947 (bulk 1912-1920)
Extent
.25 cu. ft.
Creator
Industrial Home School for Wayward Colored Girls
Language
English

Administrative Information

Access Restrictions

There are no access restrictions.

Use Restrictions

There are no use restrictions.

Preferred Citation

Juvenile Justice, Dept. of, Industrial Home School for Wayward Colored Girls records, 1912-1947. State records collection, The Library of Virginia, Archives Branch, Richmond, Virginia.

Acquisition Information

Accession 51528 transferred by Dept. of Juvenile Justice, 13 April 2015.


Historical Information

The Industrial Home School for Wayward Colored Girls was established in 1915 in Hanover County, VA as a rehabilitation center for black girls in trouble with the law near Richmond, VA. The Virginia Federation of Colored Women's Clubs purchased 147 acres in Peak's Turnout in Hanover County, Va, which was later donated for the purpose of establishing the Industrial Home School for Wayward Colored Girls. In 1920 the Commonwealth of Virginia took over financial responsibility for the school and the school was renamed the Virginia Industrial School for Colored Girls. The school was co-managed by the state and the Federation until 1942, when it was taken over completely by the Virginia Dept. of Welfare and Institutions. Janie Porter Barrett served as superintendent of the school from 1915-1940. In 1950 the Virginia General Assembly renamed the school the Janie Porter Barret School for Girls in her honor. The school became racially integrated in 1965 and coeducational in 1972. In 1977 the school became all male and was renamed the Barrett Learning Center for Boys. The school later became the Barrett Juvenile Correctional Center and was closed in 2005.

Janie Porter Barrett was born in Athens, GA on August 9, 1865, the daughter of a former slave and unknown father. She attended Hampton Normal and Agricultural Institute in Hampton, VA and graduated in 1885. She taught school in both Georgia and Virginia and married Harris Barrett in 1889. They settled in Hampton and raised four children, while she devoted her life to social work. She founded the Locust Street Social Settlement in Hampton in1890 and founded the Virginia Federation of Colored Women's Clubs in 1908. She served as president of the Federation for 32 years and worked within the organization to raise money for the purchase of a farm in Hanover County, VA to be used as a residential school to rehabilitate formerly incarcerated African American girls in 1914. She was instrumental in the establishment of the Industrial Home School for Wayward Colored Girls and served as the school's superintendent from 1915 until her retirement in 1940. Janie Porter Barrett died in Hampton, VA on August 27, 1948.

Scope and Content

Industrial Home School for Wayward Colored Girls records, 1912-1947, document the establishment of the school and consist of correspondence, deeds, financial records, minutes, receipts and resolutions. Some of the specific records include the certificate of incorporation of the Virginia State Federation of Colored Women's Clubs, Inc., 1912; the resolution of the Virginia State Federation of Women's Clubs, Inc. for the purchase of the land and the corresponding deed to the 147 acre Mill Farm property in Peak's Turnout, Hanover, VA, 1913; Board of trustees of the Virginia Federation of Colored Women's Clubs, Inc. resolutions, 1913; Board of Trustees 2nd Annual meeting minutes, bylaws and financial report, 1914; Deed of land from the Federation to the Industrial School for Wayward Colored Girls, 1915; Financial statements, 1920; copy of Senate Bill No. 27 related to the conveyance of the Industrial Home School for Wayward Colored Girls to the Commonwealth of Virginia, 1920; Title abstract, 1920; Correspondence, mostly related to meetings and proxy votes, 1913-1920; and various receipts, 1913-1920.


Contents List

Industrial Home School for Wayward Colored Girls records,, 1912-1947.
  • Box 1
    Folder 1
    Abstract of title, 1920.
  • Box 1
    Folder 2
    Bank books, 1931-1940.
  • Box 1
    Folder 3
    Board of Manager and Auxilary Board member listing, 1920.
  • Box 1
    Folder 4
    Board of Trustees meeting (May 3, 1919) - Correspondence and proxy appointments, 1919.
  • Box 1
    Folder 5
    Board of Trustees minutes, bylawys and financial statement (2nd Annual Meeting), 1914.
  • Box 1
    Folder 6
    Board of Trustees Special Meeting (Mar. 2, 1920) - Correspondence and proxy appointments, 1920.
  • Box 1
    Folder 7
    Board of Trustees resolution, 1920.
  • Box 1
    Folder 8
    Correspondence, 1913-1920.
  • Box 1
    Folder 9
    Deed, 1914.
  • Box 1
    Folder 10
    Financial statements, 1920.
  • Box 1
    Folder 11
    Matters to report - notes, 1919-1920.
  • Box 1
    Folder 12
    Receipts, 1913-1920.
  • Box 1
    Folder 13
    Senate bill No. 27, 1920.
  • Box 1
    Folder 14
    State Corporation Commission documentation, 1914.
  • Box 1
    Folder 15
    Stock certificate - Southern States Marketing Cooperative, 1947.
  • Box 1
    Folder 16
    Virginia Federation of Colored Women's Clubs, Inc. - Certificate of Incorporation, 1912.
  • Box 1
    Folder 17
    Virginia Federation of Colored Women's Clubs, Inc. - Board of Trustees resolutions and deed, 1913.