A Collection in
the Library of Virginia
Accession Number 32900
Library of VirginiaThe Library of Virginia
800 East Broad Street
Richmond, Virginia 23219-8000
Phone: (804) 692-3888 (Archives Reference)
Fax: (804) 692-3556 (Archives Reference)
2011 By The Library of Virginia. All Rights Reserved.
Processed by: Trenton Hizer
There are no restrictions.
There are no restrictions.
Association for the Preservation of Virginia Antiquities records, 1890-1974. Accession 32900. Organization records collection, The Library of Virginia, Richmond, Virginia.
Association for the Preservation of Virginia Antiquities, 2300 East Grace Street, Richmond, Virginia 23223.
Alternative Form Available
For preservation purposes, please serve microfilm (Misc. reels 6028-6047).
The Association for the Preservation of Virginia Antiquities (APVA) was founded in 1889 in Williamsburg, Virginia, to preserve and restore deteriorating historical sites in Virginia. The APVA bought the site where Jamestown is located. Over the years the organization (recently renamed Preservation Virginia) has worked with public and private groups to restore sites. The group owns several sites in the state that are open to the public, including Bacon's Castle and the Cape Henry Lighthouse.
Records, 1890-1974, of the Association for the Preservation of Virginia Antiquities (now Preservation Virginia) consisting of minute books, record books, secretary's books, financial records and ledgers, Jamestown visitors registers, and scrapbooks detailing the activities and goals of the APVA.
Minute books include record book, 1896-1917, of the Washington Branch of the APVA containing applications, clippings, member lists, minutes, reports, and rules; and minute book, 1934-1944, of the Powhatan Hill Memorial Association consisting of articles, clippings, correspondence, lists, and minutes. Secretary's book, 1897-1899, contains accounts, list of letters written, and other papers. General Endowment Fund, life members, 1930-1957, includes accounts and correspondence concerning contributions to the APVA.
Ledgers, 1894-1950, contain accounts; expenses and receipts; lists of officers and members; payment of dues, and other records concerning the finances of the APVA. Jamestown Visitors Registers, 1901-1939 and part of 1941, contains the names of visitors and listing their residences. Scrapbooks, 1890-1974, consist of articles, booklets, brochures, bulletins, clippings, correspondence, flyers, lists, maps, newsletters, photographs, poems, programs, and other papers concerning the goals, operations, and programs of the APVA, including information on properties the organization owned. Of special interest is a scrapbook for the 350th anniversary of the settlement of Jamestown. There are also two blank scrapbooks.