A Guide to the Richmond (Va.) Apprenticeship Indentures, 1821-1832 Richmond (Va.) Apprenticeship Indentures, 1821-1832 1048056

A Guide to the Richmond (Va.) Apprenticeship Indentures, 1821-1832

A Collection in
the Library of Virginia
Barcode number: 1048056


[logo]

Library of Virginia

The Library of Virginia
800 East Broad Street
Richmond, Virginia 23219-8000
USA
Phone: (804) 692-3888 (Archives Reference)
Fax: (804) 692-3556 (Archives Reference)
Email: archdesk@lva.virginia.gov(Archives)
URL: http://www.lva.virginia.gov/

© 2020 By The Library of Virginia. All Rights Reserved.

Processed by: Ed Jordan

Repository
Library of Virginia
Barcode number
1048056
Title
Richmond (Va.) Apprenticeship Indentures 1821-1832
Physical Characteristics
.45 cu.ft.
Collector
Richmond (Va.) Circuit Court.
Location
Library of Virginia
Language
English

Administrative Information

Access Restrictions

There are no restrictions.

Use Restrictions

There are no restrictions.

Preferred Citation

Richmond (Va.) Apprenticeship Indentures, 1821-1832. Local government records collection, Richmond (City) Court Records. The Library of Virginia, Richmond, Va. 23219.

Acquisition Information

These items came to the Library of Virginia in a transfer of court records from the city of Richmond.


Historical Information

Richmond, located between Henrico and Chesterfield Counties, was named by William Byrd (1674-1744), who envisioned the development of a city at the falls of the James River and with the help of William Mayo laid out the town in 1737. The name probably came from the English borough of Richmond upon Thames, which Byrd visited on several occasions. Richmond was established in 1742 and in 1779 was designated the capital of Virginia effective 30 April 1780. It was incorporated as a town, although "stiled the city of Richmond," in 1782 and was incorporated as a city in 1842. It served as the capital of the Confederacy from mid-1861 to April 1865. Richmond was enlarged by the annexation of Manchester (or South Richmond) in 1910, and by the addition of Barton Heights, Fairmount, and Highland Park in 1914. Further annexations from Chesterfield County occurred in 1942 and 1970.

In 1780 the Virginia General Assembly replaced the Anglican vestries and churchwardens of the colonial period with elected bodies called Overseers of the Poor. The Overseers provided food, clothing, shelter, and medical treatment for the persons who were too poor to support themselves or too ill to provide for their basic needs. They also bound out children whose parents could not support them or who failed to educate or instruct them, as well as orphans to become apprentices. The boys learned a trade and the girls learned domestic skills.

Scope and Content

Richmond (Va.) Apprenticeship Indentures, 1821-1832, are bonds and contracts of apprenticeship given by the Overseers of the Poor, showing the names of master and apprentice, the trade to be taught, details of the contract, the amount of the bond and the names of sureties. Many of the apprentices bound out prior to 1866 were free African Americans.

Related Material

Additional Richmond Records can be found on microfilm at the Library of Virginia. Consult "A Guide to Virginia County and City Records on Microfilm" found on the Library of Virginia's web site.


Index Terms

    Corporate Names:

  • Richmond (Va.) Circuit Court.
  • Subjects:

  • African Americans--History.
  • Apprentices--Virginia--Richmond.
  • Free African Americans--Virginia--Richmond.
  • Geographical Names:

  • Richmond (Va.)--History.
  • Genre and Form Terms:

  • Indentures--Virginia--Richmond.
  • Local government records--Virginia--Richmond.