A Guide to the Records of Briery Presbyterian Church, 1760-1892 Briery Presbyterian Church Records, 1760-1892 20586, 20587, 23834

A Guide to the Records of Briery Presbyterian Church, 1760-1892

A Collection in
the Library of Virginia
Accession Number 20586, 20587, 23834


[logo]

Library of Virginia

The Library of Virginia
800 East Broad Street
Richmond, Virginia 23219-8000
USA
Phone: (804) 692-3888 (Archives Reference)
Fax: (804) 692-3556 (Archives Reference)
Email: archdesk@lva.virginia.gov(Archives)
URL: http://www.lva.virginia.gov/

© 2001 By the Library of Virginia.

Funding: Web version of the finding aid funded in part by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities.

Processed by: Jay Gaidmore

Repository
Library of Virginia
Accession number
20586, 20587, 23834
Title
Briery Presbyterian Church Records, 1760-1892
Physical Characteristics
Negative photostats, 3 volumes (156 leaves and 225 pages).
Physical Location
Church Records Collection, Presbyterian
Language
English

Administrative Information

Access Restrictions

There are no restrictions.

Use Restrictions

There are no restrictions.

Preferred Citation

Briery Presbyterian Church Records, 1760-1892. Accession [cite specific accession no. used]. Church Records Collection, The Library of Virginia, Richmond, Virginia.

Acquisition Information

Loaned for duplication by Dr. J. D. Eggleston, 25 May 1933 and 28 May 1952.


Biographical/Historical Information

Briery Presbyterian Church of Prince Edward County, Virginia was organized between 1755 and 1760. The first house of worship was built about 1760. In 1840, New School members of the church left and organized Douglas Presbyterian Church. In 1855, the present structure was erected by Robert Lewis Dabney. For more information see, "Briery Presbyterian Church, 1755-1980," by Ellen Mercer Maxwell (1980).

Scope and Content Information

Session book, 1760-1840, containing minutes which cover the period, 30 May 1803-July 1840 and record administrative matters, discipline of members, struggles to retain a minister, admission of new members, baptisms of infants and adults, and death notices. Also includes a list of praying families, showing dates when began, 1775-1828; persons baptized, 1789-1840, with some family data; members' names, showing death dates and other data; sessional reports to the Hanover Presbytery, 1801-1839; and a historical sketch, containing data on the founding of Hampden-Sydney College, written by the Reverend James Douglas, who became minister in 1828. The baptisms, 1789-1840, have been transcribed in "The Southside Virginian," vol. 1, no. 3 (April 1983): pp. 103-123. The membership lists have been partially transcribed in "The Southside Virginian," vol. IV, no. 1 (October 1985): pp. 32-45. (Accession 20586)

Session book, 1840-1892, containing minutes which cover the period, September 1840-27 April 1879; a record of congregational meetings; membership lists, showing death dates and other data; baptisms, 1841- 1892; statistical reports, 1841-1859; and corrected roll of members, 1864-1892. The minutes until 1850 periodically contain references to the handling of slaves, whom the church bought in 1766 for hiring out to raise money (Accession 20587)

Treasurer's book, 1840-1847, including entries that deal primarily with collections for the hiring of slaves. In 1766, the church adopted a plan that called for the purchase of three male slaves and three women slaves to hire out and raise money to support a regular minister. (Accession 23834)