A Guide to the Clifton, Virginia Collection, 1876-1992 Clifton, Virginia Collection MSS 03-06

A Guide to the Clifton, Virginia Collection, 1876-1992

A Collection in The Fairfax County Public Library

Record Group Number MSS 03-06


[logo]

Fairfax County Public Library
City of Fairfax Regional Library
Virginia Room
10360 North Street
Fairfax, VA 22030-2514 USA
Virginia Room: 703-293-6227 x6
Fax: 703-293-2155
Email: va_room@fairfaxcounty.gov
URL: https://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/library/branches/virginia-room

© 2019 Fairfax County Public Library. All rights reserved.

Repository
Fairfax County Public Library
Record Group Number
MSS 03-06
Title
The Clifton, Virginia Collection, 1876-1992
Extent
0.5 linear feet
Creator
Virginia Room staff
Language
English
Abstract
The Clifton, Virginia Collection consist of 0.5 linear feet and spans the years 1876-1992. The collection consists of various ephemera detailing the history of Clifton, Virginia including articles, brochures, a program, press release, correspondence, bumper sticker, an account book, photocopies, World War II ration books, and posters.

Administrative Information

Access Restrictions

None

Use Restrictions

Consult repository for information

Preferred Citation

Clifton, Virginia Collection, MSS 03-06, Virginia Room, Fairfax County Public Library

Acquisition Information

The Virginia Room staff artificially created this collection over a period of years. Most of the collection came from unknown donors. The Collier County Museum of Naples, Florida donated the Elijah B. Georgia patent on July 17, 1989. Virginia Beach Public Libraries donated the consolidation materials in March 1992. Phylis Salak donated the William Edward Beckwith 1910-11 “Time Book” on October 16, 2017. The Fairfax County Archives transferred the Town of Clifton “$25 Reward” posters in July 2019. Debbie Weaver donated the Myers family’s World War II ration books in November 2019.

Processing Information

Chris Barbuschak, December 2019
EAD generated by Ross Landis, 2019


Historical and Biographical Information

In 1851, the Orange & Alexandria Railroad constructed trackage through the area now known as Clifton and built stations nearby at Sangster’s and Union Mills. During the Civil War, the United States Military Railroad built a siding between the two depots and named it Devereux Station in honor of Superintendent of Railroads John Henry Devereux. A small town grew up around the railroad siding. In 1868, the name changed to Clifton Station and citizens established a Post Office the following year. The Town of Clifton became a weekend resort destination when Harrison G. Otis opened the Clifton Hotel in the 1870s. On March 10, 1902, the State Legislature incorporated the Town of Clifton, which went on to become the largest town in Fairfax County and the first to get electricity and a high school. The Southern Railway closed Clifton Station in 1956, and the town entered a period of decline. Beginning in the 1970s, new arrivals to the area renovated Clifton’s historic buildings and in 1985, the town was listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Scope and Content

The Clifton, Virginia Collection consist of 0.5 linear feet and spans the years 1876-1992. The collection consists of various ephemera detailing the history of Clifton, Virginia including articles, brochures, a program, press release, correspondence, bumper sticker, an account book, photocopies, World War II ration books, and posters. The consolidation materials include a 1961 “Vote for Consolidation” bumper sticker; pro-consolidation literature; and a press release from Anne Wilkins dated May 10, 1961. Brochures include Clifton Home Tours; Buckley’s Inn; Clifton churches; and Anna Sprouse Day. The page from the January 1, 1906 Fairfax Herald newspaper details notable Clifton businessmen including the Buckley Brothers; J.L. Fristoe; A.J. Kidwell; R.C. Hickey; G.B. Wright; W.H. Mathers; S.H. Detwiler; M.M. Payne; J.B. Cross; J.M. Fulmer; R.W. Woodyard; R.M. Kivett; and F.G. Mayhugh. The “Time Book” for William Edward Beckwith (1880-1961), an African American farmer of Clifton Station, includes financial expenditures and deposits from 1910-1911. The WWII ration books are from the Myers family who lived in Clifton.


Index Terms

  • Adair, Annie Elgin (1900-1972)
  • Beckwith, William Edward (1880-1961)
  • Clifton (Va) - History
  • Clifton Elementary School
  • Georgia, Elijah B. (1823-1886)
  • Myers family
  • Pellettier, Mabel O. (1914-2006)
  • Second Baptist Church, Clifton, VA

Container List

Box 1
Folder 1
May Day Program, Clifton Elementary School, May 18, 1957, 1957 May 18
Box 1
Folder 2
Town of Clifton/County of Fairfax Consolidation materials [bumper sticker, brochure, letter, press release], 1961
Box 1
Folder 3
“The Choice For Clifton: Progress or Decay”, 1965 January
Box 1
Folder 4
"Annie’s Calendar" - Annie E. Adair, 1969
Box 1
Folder 5
Brochures, Clifton, VA Home Tours , 1967, 1980
Box 1
Folder 6
Various brochures of Clifton, VA, Undated, 1990-1992
Box 1
Folder 7
Newspaper, Fairfax Herald - Clifton Station column, 1906 January 1
Box 1
Folder 8
“History of Clifton, Virginia” by Annie E. Adair and Helen E. Buckley, 1966 November
Box 1
Folder 9
“The Naming of Clifton, Virginia” by Mabel O. Pellettier, 1971
Box 1
Folder 10
“Why Was It Called Clifton?” by Mabel O. Pellettier, 1975
Box 1
Folder 11
Elijah B. Georgia barrel patent (Clifton, Va.), 1876
Box 1
Folder 12
Second Baptist Church, Clifton, VA ledger book, 1926-1942 [photocopied], 1987
Box 1
Folder 13
“Time Book”, William Edward Beckwith (Clifton Station, VA), 1910-1911
Box 1
Folder 14
Posters, Town of Clifton “$25 Reward”, Undated
Box 1
Folder 15
World War II Ration Books for Edith W. Myers, Minor E. Myers, Carl E. Myers, and Carol Ann Myers, 1943

Significant Persons Associated With the Collection

  • Adair, Annie Elgin (1900-1972)
  • Beckwith, William Edward (1880-1961)
  • Georgia, Elijah B. (1823-1886)
  • Pellettier, Mabel O. (1914-2006)