A Guide to the Fairfax Station, Virginia Collection, 1861-1911 Fairfax Station, Virginia Collection MSS 03-18

A Guide to the Fairfax Station, Virginia Collection, 1861-1911

A Collection in The Fairfax County Public Library

Record Group Number MSS 03-18


[logo]

Fairfax County Public Library
City of Fairfax Regional Library
Virginia Room
10360 North Street
Fairfax, VA 22030-2514 USA
Virginia Room: 703-293-6227 x6
Fax: 703-293-2155
Email: va_room@fairfaxcounty.gov
URL: https://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/library/branches/virginia-room

© 2018 Fairfax County Public Library. All rights reserved.

Repository
Fairfax County Public Library
Record Group Number
MSS 03-18
Title
The Fairfax Station, Virginia Collection, 1861-1911
Extent
0.25 linear feet
Creator
Virginia Room staff
Language
English
Abstract
The Fairfax Station, Virginia Collection consists of 0.25 linear feet spanning the years 1861-1911. Included is an 1861 Bank of the Old Dominion (Alexandria, Va.) check made out to J.H. Wright and Son by C.M. Schroffe of Fairfax Station. Also included are Mutual Fire Insurance of Fairfax County Policy papers for Mrs. Mary E. Malcom, a widowed farmer who lived in Stoneleigh, Virginia. Papers include policies signed by M.D. Hall, who was the superintendent of Fairfax County Public Schools, and a National Bank of Fairfax postcard from 1908.

Administrative Information

Access Restrictions

None

Use Restrictions

Consult repository for information

Preferred Citation

Fairfax Station, Virginia Collection, MSS 03-18, Virginia Room, Fairfax County Public Library

Acquisition Information

The Virginia Room staff artificially created this collection over a period of time. Items came from unknown donors.

Processing Information

Chris Barbuschak, September 2018
EAD generated by Ross Landis, 2018


Historical and Biographical Information

In 1851, the Orange & Alexandria Railroad established Fairfax Station. A small community mostly of Irish immigrants grew up around this railroad depot and built Saint Mary of Sorrows Catholic Church in 1858. The community saw several skirmishes during the Civil War. Following the Second Battle of Bull Run, Clara Barton established her headquarters at St. Mary’s to treat wounded soldiers. The village was renamed Swetnam in 1897, and reverted back to Fairfax Station in 1921. The Southern Railroad closed Fairfax Station in 1973, which at the time was the last operating railroad station in Fairfax County. In 1981, volunteers spearheaded by Lena Wyckoff dismantled the old station and rebuilt it on a new property where it opened in 1987 as the Fairfax Station Railroad Museum.

Scope and Content

The Fairfax Station, Virginia Collection consists of 0.25 linear feet spanning the years 1861-1911. Included is an 1861 Bank of the Old Dominion (Alexandria, Va.) check made out to J.H. Wright and Son by C.M. Schroffe of Fairfax Station. Also included are Mutual Fire Insurance of Fairfax County Policy papers for Mrs. Mary E. Malcom, a widowed farmer who lived in Stoneleigh, Virginia. Stoneleigh was a small postal village located on Ox Road near Silverbrook Road, in present day Fairfax Station, Virginia. The post office operated from 1885 to 1908 with David S. Beach as postmaster. All that remains of the village today is the Stoneleigh House, built in 1835 located at 8108 Ox Road. Papers include policies signed by M.D. Hall, who was the superintendent of Fairfax County Public Schools, and a National Bank of Fairfax postcard from 1908.


Index Terms

  • Fairfax Station (Va.) - History
  • Stoneleigh (Va.) - History

Container List

Box 1
Folder 1
Bank of the Old Dominion Check, C.M. Schroffe to J.H. Wright and Son, 1861 March 14
Box 1
Folder 2
Papers, Independent Mutual Fire Insurance Policy of Fairfax County for Mrs. Mary E. Malcolm of Stoneleigh, Va., 1906-1911