A Guide to the Falls Church, Virginia Collection, 1934-1993 Falls Church, Virginia Collection MSS 03-08

A Guide to the Falls Church, Virginia Collection, 1934-1993

A Collection in The Fairfax County Public Library

Record Group Number MSS 03-08


[logo]

Fairfax County Public Library
City of Fairfax Regional Library
Virginia Room
10360 North Street
Fairfax, VA 22030-2514 USA
Virginia Room: 703-293-6227 x6
Fax: 703-293-2155
Email: va_room@fairfaxcounty.gov
URL: https://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/library/branches/virginia-room

© 2018 Fairfax County Public Library. All rights reserved.

Repository
Fairfax County Public Library
Record Group Number
MSS 03-08
Title
The Falls Church, Virginia Collection, 1934-1993
Extent
.25 linear feet
Creator
Virginia Room staff
Language
English
Abstract
The Falls Church, Virginia Collection consists of .25 linear feet and spans the years 1934-1993. The collection consists of various ephemera detailing the history of Falls Church, Virginia, including newspaper articles, informational brochures, event programs, a letter, a personal history, a speech, booklets, and a bumper sticker and pin.

Administrative Information

Access Restrictions

None

Use Restrictions

Consult repository for information

Preferred Citation

Falls Church, Virginia Collection. MSS 03-08, Virginia Room, Fairfax County Public Library.

Acquisition Information

Collection assembled by Virginia Room staff over a period of years. Items came from unknown donors; Francis Copeland of Phoenix, Arizona, donated the Chimney Villa memoranda booklet in August 2017.

Processing Information

Stephanie Ballard, February 2018
EAD generated by Ross Landis, 2018


Historical and Biographical Information

Falls Church is an independent city located in Northern Virginia just west of Washington, D.C. In 1734, an Episcopalian group founded The Falls Church, which facilitated population and economic growth in the area. Falls Church was the location of troupe encampments during the early years of the Civil War and witnessed several raids led by Mosby’s Rangers. Ten years after the war ended Falls Church became a township and in 1948 was granted status as an independent city.

Scope and Content

The Falls Church, Virginia Collection consists of .25 linear feet and spans the years 1934-1993. The collection consists of various ephemera detailing the history of Falls Church, Virginia, including newspaper articles, informational brochures, event programs, a letter, a personal history, a speech, booklets, and a bumper sticker and pin. Items focus on Falls Church history, primarily individual events and locations.


Index Terms

  • Bailey’s Crossroads (Va.) - History
  • Falls Church (Va.) - History
  • Seven Corners (Va.) - History

Container List

Box 1
Folder 1
Newspaper, “The Penny Press” Arlington-Falls Church-Alexandria-Fairfax, 1951 April
Box 1
Folder 2
Program, Dedication of Kingsley Commons (Formerly Jefferson Village), 1984 July 27
Box 1
Folder 3
Brochure, “Citizens with a Mission: Historic Preservation”. Falls Church Historical Commission, 1979 August
Box 1
Folder 4
Brochures, “Historical Falls Church, Virginia” Falls Church Historical Development Commission, Undated
Box 1
Folder 5
Brochure, “Falls Church, Virginia”, Greater Falls Church Chamber of Commerce, Undated
Box 1
Folder 6
Brochure, “Trailing Through the History of Falls Church”, Mary Riley Styles Public Library, 1980 September
Box 1
Folder 7
Brochure, “Falls Church, The Evolution of a Virginia Village”, Falls Church Village Preservation and Improvement Society, Undated
Box 1
Folder 8
Brochure, “Historic Falls Church, Inc.”, Undated
Box 1
Folder 9
“Centennial Program, Falls Church, 1875-1975”, 1975 March 31
Box 1
Folder 10
“Early History of the Methodist Church in Falls Church” by Benjamin R. Shreve, 1934
Box 1
Folder 11
“Falls Church 22042: A Modern Postal Village” speech by Nan Netherton, 1993 April 23
Box 1
Folder 12
“The Iron Worker” Vol. 14 No. 4, Fall Issue 1950. Lead Article of Falls Church, Virginia, 1950 Fall
Box 1
Folder 13
Program, Falls Church Festival, 1948
Box 1
Folder 14
Blank auto journal, Seven Corners Gulf service station (1101 E. Broad St), Undated
Box 1
Folder 15
Letter, Homer Hoyt to Fairfax County Planning Commission, Re: Seven Corners Shopping Center , 1953 May
Box 1
Folder 16
Bailey’s Crossroads bumper stickers and pin, Undated
Box 1
Folder 17
“The Sunday Star Pictorial Magazine” article about Falls Church pp. 7-8, 1949 March 6
Box 1
Folder 18
Falls Church Medical Center informational booklet, Undated
Box 1
Folder 19
Memoranda booklet, Chimney Villa, 1939