A Guide to the Potomac Steamboat Company Stock Certificates, 1848-1869 Potomac Steamboat Company Stock Certificates MSS 02-05

A Guide to the Potomac Steamboat Company Stock Certificates, 1848-1869

A Collection in The Fairfax County Public Library

Record Group Number MSS 02-05


[logo]

Fairfax County Public Library
City of Fairfax Regional Library
Virginia Room
10360 North Street
Fairfax, VA 22030-2514 USA
Virginia Room: 703-293-6227 x6
Fax: 703-293-2155
Email: va_room@fairfaxcounty.gov
URL: https://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/library/branches/virginia-room

© 2017 Fairfax County Public Library. All rights reserved.

Repository
Fairfax County Public Library
Record Group Number
MSS 02-05
Title
The Potomac Steamboat Company Stock Certificates, 1848-1869
Extent
0.25 linear feet
Creator
Potomac Steamboat Company
Language
English
Abstract
The Potomac Steamboat Company Stock Certificates consist of 0.25 linear feet, spans the years 1848-1869, and contains an original certificate and seal for the Washington and Fredericksburg Steamboat Company hand signed by the company’s president and secretary; and a blank certificate for the Potomac Steamboat Company.

Administrative Information

Access Restrictions

None

Use Restrictions

Consult repository for information

Preferred Citation

Potomac Steamboat Company Stock Certificates, MSS 02-05, Virginia Room, Fairfax County Public Library

Acquisition Information

Unknown

Processing Information

Chris Barbuschak, December 2017
EAD generated by Ross Landis, 2017


Historical and Biographical Information

Beginning in 1842, one could travel from Washington, D.C. to Richmond, Virginia by boarding a Washington & Fredericksburg Steamboat Company boat at the Washington waterfront which sailed down the Potomac River to Aquia Landing where one disembarked and boarded a Richmond, Fredericksburg, and Potomac Railroad train enroute to Richmond. The steamboat company had been in existence for some time prior, and the RF&P acquired majority control of it in order to complete the connection from Washington to its trains. The RF&P renamed the steamboat company the Potomac Steamboat Company in 1855.

On April 19, 1861, a few days after the Civil War began, the United States government seized four of the company’s steamboats which practically dissolved the company. The Potomac Steamboat Company reorganized in 1869, and the terminus was moved from Aquia to Quantico Creek. In 1872, the RF&P completed a direct track link between Richmond and Washington, and ended its contract with the Potomac Steamboat Company. The company continued to operate until 1891, and the steamboats "George Leary”, “Keyport”, “Excelsior” and “Georgeanna” made up a part of its fleet.

Scope and Content

The Potomac Steamboat Company Stock Certificates consist of 0.25 linear feet, spans the years 1848-1869, and contains an original certificate and seal for the Washington and Fredericksburg Steamboat Company hand signed by the company’s president and secretary; and a blank certificate for the Potomac Steamboat Company. A copy negative of the Washington and Fredericksburg Steamboat Company certificate is also included.

Related Material

Richmond, Fredericksburg and Potomac Railroad Company Records, 1837-1983 (Mss3 R4152 b FA2), Virginia Historical Society, Richmond, Va.


Index Terms

  • Potomac Steamboat Company (Fredericksburg, Va.)
  • Transportation - Virginia - History
  • Washington and Fredericksburg Steamboat Company

Container List

Box 1
Folder 1
Stock certificate, Washington and Fredericksburg Steamboat Company [includes negative copy], 1848
Box 1
Folder 2
Seal, Washington and Fredericksburg Steamboat Company, Undated
Box 1
Folder 3
Stock certificate, Potomac Steamboat Company, 1869